Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

"I have never fought a negro blah blah blah".

So if Sullivan hadn't been such a coward/arsehole (delete as according to your preference, but don't try to tell me he wasn't one or the other) and had given Jackson the shot, how do you think that would have gone?

I guess Corbett would have favoured Jackson, "the greatest fighter [Corbett] had ever seen."

I'm getting the feeling that this is the guy history really cheated, to a greater extent than Wills, even.

EDIT: Something I learned today, upon Jackson's gravestone it read: "This Was A Man." Sonny Liston's grave echoes these words, curious.

He died aged 40, of TB I think.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain

So if Sullivan hadn't been such a coward/arsehole (delete as according to your preference, but don't try to tell me he wasn't one or the other) and had given Jackson the shot, how do you think that would have gone?

I guess Corbett would have favoured Jackson, "the greatest fighter [Corbett] had ever seen."

I'm getting the feeling that this is the guy history really cheated, to a greater extent than Wills, even.

EDIT: Something I learned today, upon Jackson's gravestone it read: "This Was A Man." Sonny Liston's grave echoes these words, curious.

I think so. Jackson was IMO the first real athletic bigman with the power to boot.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

I lean towards yes. IMO Sullivan is a bit untested vs the best gloved fighters. I think Jackson defeats him under queensberry rules via decision or late round TKO.

A pro Sullivan argument would be Jackson was even with a very good Joe Goddard when they fought in the ring. Both guys were down. Most feel Sullivan was better than Goddard, and hit even harder.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I have no idea who would have won.

Peter Jackson deserves to be considered one of the greats of that era though, and a champion in his own right.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Peter Jackson was the first great black heavyweight champion. He was the black champion in an era when blacks and whites did not fight. Who would have won between him and the Great John L Sullivan. Both at their best I would have to go for the Great Peter Jackson by spectacular knockout.

Last edited by PolishPummler; 03-13-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Not too old Sullivan - wins by KO. The one beaten by Corbett could be beaten.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Blacks and whites did fight. Corbett, Slavin, Maher, Goddard, Jeffries and many more fought Jackson: Sullivan is probably the only fighter who ducked Peter. The Goddard argument is a good one but I think that in the last 2-3 years of his reign Jackson probably would have one, Yeah, he was cheated of his chance more than anyone and Corbett ducked him also after he won the title.
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon
Blacks and whites did fight. Corbett, Slavin, Maher, Goddard, Jeffries and many more fought Jackson: Sullivan is probably the only fighter who ducked Peter. The Goddard argument is a good one but I think that in the last 2-3 years of his reign Jackson probably would have one, Yeah, he was cheated of his chance more than anyone and Corbett ducked him also after he won the title.
Not so Matt. Corbett offered Jackson a re-match as the champion. The two meet in the hotel can could not agree to the venue. Corbett wanted to fight in Jacksonville or New Oreleans, as he was famous there for his fights over Mitchel and Sullivan. Jackson did not want to fight in the south and balked.

Jackson fought a ton of ranked white fighters. Race was only an issue with him vs Sullivan. As foot notes, Fitz sparred with Jackson, Jeffries fought him, Goddard fought him, Slavin fought him, Dooley fiought him etc..
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Jeffries only fought Jackson when he was absolutley done.

No criticism is implied, just as a footnotes.

I have some decent reads on the Jackson-Corbett negotiation, I shall dig them out.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think PHIL Jackson would have beaten John L. Sullivan
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Jackson by dec or late stoppage,he and Corbett ushered in a new era of scientific defence,Sully was the last of the rushing slam bang thumpers,he would be dangerous for the first half of the fight ,he had real [power in his right ,but if Jackson could avoid his bull like charges,he would systematically chop him down over the later stage of the fight ,imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Jeffries only fought Jackson when he was absolutley done.

No criticism is implied, just as a footnotes.

I have some decent reads on the Jackson-Corbett negotiation, I shall dig them out.
Are you sure? Jackson had not lost a fight in 14+ years, trained hard, looked good in camp, and was in shape. Going into this fight, no one though Jackson was " absolutely done . "

It was not Jackson's age that made him lose, it was opting to fight hard early. His chin did not hold up to Jeffries power.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Jackson would have beaten Sullivan. Sullivan was an avowed racist who flatly refused to fight blacks. Corbett was racist also but not to the degree of Sullivan. Corbett marvelled at Jackson's skills for the rest of his life after their fight.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Jackson was nearly 37 had engaged in two fights since his victory over Frank Slavin in1892,he beat two nobodies Denny Kelliher,in a 4 rounder and Gus Wikie in a no dec in 6 thats 10 rounds of actual combat in 6 years.Jackson was retired and running a boxing school he was as live a challenger as Fitz was at 42 when Johnson stopped him,probably les ,as Fitz had some fights, plus Jackson was in the grip of TB,which would kill him 3 years later.Jackson was finished.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Once Sullivan started to decline it would only be a matter of time untill you reached a point where Jackson could beat him.

Time would have been on the black princes side.
janitor is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum