boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #106
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 23,490
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon
No way do two drunken men survive into round 17-you need to do more research.
I have the film!CGG,of course.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #107
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 583
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Peter Jackson in his prime would have beaten John L.
markedwardscott is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #108
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

John L. in his prime beats '66 Ali.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #109
RafaelGonzal
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,090
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Jakson and Corbett fought to a draw, soon after Corbett blasted Sullivan.
Corbett said he could feint Sullivan to bits and while the premise of this view is flawed, I would say that most likely Jackson also would have smashed Sullivan.
RafaelGonzal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #110
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelGonzal
Jakson and Corbett fought to a draw, soon after Corbett blasted Sullivan.
Corbett said he could feint Sullivan to bits and while the premise of this view is flawed, I would say that most likely Jackson also would have smashed Sullivan.
You are speaking of an immensely dissipated Sullivan who had not fought in 4 years.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #111
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,937
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
You are speaking of an immensely dissipated Sullivan who had not fought in 4 years.
Jackson was in prety good shape while Sullivan was in that condition.

Logicaly he should have been the right man at the right time.

I think there is a significant period when Jackson was the best heavyweight breathing.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #112
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,937
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Incidentaly I think that Jackson was the best heavyweight in the world from 1888-1892 and quite likely for some time before 1888.

Last edited by janitor; 03-16-2008 at 05:07 PM.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #113
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

I see no great weight of proof to sustain that argument, only pure and fantastical speculation.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #114
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,937
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I see no great weight of proof to sustain that argument, only pure and fantastical speculation.
Sullivan was already past his best when he beat Jake Kilrain and it was his Foreman Ali fight where he beat the heir to his throne.

Sullivan was falling into disrepair just as Jackson was hitting his stride.

A past prime Peter Jackson fought a prime Jim Corbett with an injured ankle and flu. He held him to a draw and would probably have got the decision if it went to points.

To quantify Peter Jackson he was equal to Jim Corbett while past his best injured and ill.

He also beat Frank Slavin who was a total wrecking machine at the time.

Honestly, there is a big chasm between Sullivan and Corbett and Jackson fills it.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #115
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 1500
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Mace and Foley actually felt Jackson was not up to the job (also he knew Sullivan would call the colour bar) and Jackson too, had his worries in the early 1880's, hence the reason we got farce with Slade.

But by the late 1880's Jackson had hit his stride and Sulivan was (with hinsight) post Kilrain, a lame duck champ.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #116
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,956
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Honestly, there is a big chasm between Sullivan and Corbett and Jackson fills it.
I have a lot easier time buying this portion of your argument. Again, though, too bad Jackson didn't get more fights during his prime.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #117
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,937
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
I have a lot easier time buying this portion of your argument.
This is the central plank of my argument.

Jackson efortlesly fills a significant gap.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #118
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So who thinks Peter Jackson would have beaten Sullivan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4819
Fun reading, You guys know your stuff, but did the author, Mr.Pollack make a case either way, Sullivan or Jackson?
I can't recall off the top of my head, but he extensively covered jackson's big fights and from reading sullivan and jackson's bouts, I believe that jackson didn't move enough to beat sullivan, corbett ran like a gazelle for 40+ minutes before even trying to box sullivan, and that's the used up alchoholic version. jackson might counter the aged sullivan enough to win, but the only guys who survived sullivan were movers, counterpunchers that stood in the pocket with him eventually got caught, and they would be ko'd.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015