Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Gene Tunney v Joe Frazier

How would Tunney do with FOTC Frazier's pressure?

Not that much different in weight betweeen these two, once Tunney stepped up to HW.

And when do you consider Tunney's absolute peak, as embodied in one victory, to have been?
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Gene Tunney v Joe Frazier

I haven't really seen that much of Tunney (except the odd clip from his fights with Dempsey) but there isn't many fighters I would favour over FOTC Frazier. Ali is one of the extremely few fighters who could beat him while retreating, and Tunney would fight a retreating fight. Tunney was no Ali so I see Frazier eventually getting to him and knocking him out. Tunney didn't have the firepower to incapacitate Frazier and wouldn't be able sto stay away for too long. Frazier by KO in 5-7 rounds.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Yeah, I don't think Tunney could handle Frazier. He'd get stopped in about 6 rounds. If he ran, maybe 10. Frazier would be winning these rounds and breaking Tunney down though.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I forsee Tunney spending an unimaginable amount of time breaking down Frazier prefight and discovering a weakness. I think with more modern film he'd do very well.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
I forsee Tunney spending an unimaginable amount of time breaking down Frazier prefight and discovering a weakness. I think with more modern film he'd do very well.
I think that if Tunney is to win here it will indeed be via tactical deployment of what he's got. But how do you do that with Frazier? Frazier is ready to get his face punched repeatedly to win, especially this version.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I dont doubt Gene Tunney's toughness or his survival instincts and know-how. I'd hesistate to pick any man to win against him by a stoppage.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
I dont doubt Gene Tunney's toughness or his survival instincts and know-how. I'd hesistate to pick any man to win against him by a stoppage.

When i opened this thread I suddenly though of you and how you might avoid making an actually pick here.

These are your two very favourites aren't they?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Good call. I would not favor many to beat Frazier on this night (point in time). However Frazier would be hard pressed to score a KO in this one. I won't rule out a late stoppage, but see a decision that Tunney makes him work hard (or like usual) to earn.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain

When i opened this thread I suddenly though of you and how you might avoid making an actually pick here.

These are your two very favourites aren't they?
They are two of my favourites, yeah.

I suppose I pick Frazier to win, but Tunney has a great chance too.

Tunney's a bit of an enigma. He's hard to pick and he's hard to pick against.
On one hand he "only" beat a past prime Dempsey, on the other hand he seemed to be a complete package and no one ever got the better of the peak Tunney.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tunney by UD. Very smart, skilled, and beat some big hitters in his day. That combo that Dempsey put him down for the long count was brutal, and once he got up, it was almost as if nothing happened. I think Dempsey hit as hard Frazier
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthomas
I think Dempsey hit as hard Frazier
Wrong. Dempsey hit harder than Frazier. Look at what he did to Willard, Firpo, etc. Frazier hit hard enough. But he was never in the same league as Jack Dempsey as far as punching power was concerned.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Frazier by mid-round knockout. Dempsey cannot be used as a litmus test for this fight IMO. He had not fought in three years before the first Tunney fight and was stale. Dempsey from 1923 and before would also have beaten Tunney.

Frazier KO 6 Tunney
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

This is a real toughie,Frazier was relentless,,fast at getting in ,with quick hands,stamina ,prepared to take punches to get that hook home,there may be question s about his chin at elite level ,but Tunney wouldnt answer them.Tunney had great legs ,used the ring as well as any heavyweight,a smart strategist ,with a cold calculating ring brain ,he had a swift and accurate jab ,and an underated quick short right,top chin and was mentally tough .Stylistically I think this favours Frazier,he was pretty quick at getting into range and his handspeed was good,Tunney had respectable power ,but not earthshattering so ,though he would take punishment Frazier would not be in danger of being kod,imo,I see Tunney loping backwards,Frazier in pursuit,Tunney firing in that quick left ,and crossing his right when he saw the opening,not stopping to clinch,Frazier would be burrowing in,firing that hook going for the body,after 8rds Tunneys legs would start to slow from the body attack,he would be in front ,but winding down a little,Frazier with probably some facial damage would be as fast as ever,as Tunney,s legs came down a gear Frazier would land more solidly and lay some real hurt on the Marine Tunney had balls and skills he would go the route but lose a dec imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

I can't see Tunney beating the nightmare that was FOTC Frazier, honestly.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I think Tunney is a master boxer who was ahead of his time and had lightning speed, but how is he going to beat Frazier when he couldn't consistently beat a middleweight Frazier in Greb?

Head to head i think very highly of Smoking Joe. I don't think any heavyweight that can't knock him out would ever beat him. He ate boxers up, took their best shot, pinned them on the ropes, didn't allowed them to breath... he was a true boxer's(mover's) nightmare. Even if Tunney goes the distance (his durability is rather untested at heavyweight), i think he'll be battered and lose a decision. Watch Frazier vs Foster or Frazier vs Ali. You can't hide from Frazier and you won't scare him from coming in either, even if your name is Foreman.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum