Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default What Would Happen If Your Two All-TimeFavourite Fighters Had A Fight?

For me this would mean Charley Burley (weighing around 155) fighting Sonny Liston (weighting around 215)!

There's only ever going to be one winner here. Burley has to give up on the two-fisted attack he often employed in the opening rounds (giving him a chance at a KO, a good feel for his man plus a lead on the scorecards) and I fear he'd also have to give up his body attack. Two big weapons by the by already.

So Burley is back to what he is probably most famous for, magically staying out of range whilst in range and he's got to do it whilst, for once, out reached - hmmmm.

Burley could probably demonstrate an astonishing array of survival techniques and counter punches here, last of all his amazing chin but Liston would get him, probably in the middle rounds. Be fascinating while it lasted.

What would happen if your two all-time favourite fighters had a fight?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Default Re: What Would Happen If Your Two All-TimeFavourite Fighters Had A Fight?

Cribb vs. Sullivan.

The clinch fighting at the beginning would favor Cribb's superior wrestling abilities, but Sullivan would have a chance to finish him early before he is able to consistently disrupt Sullivan's rhythm with clinches. When Sullivan manages to time his rushes to prevent Cribb from grabbing and pitching him as easily, he would have more success. Ultimately, though, Cribb's superior toughness and experience against sluggers would tell, and he would knock Sullivan out of time after nearly being dispatched himself.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: What Would Happen If Your Two All-TimeFavourite Fighters Had A Fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Cribb vs. Sullivan.

Ultimately, though, Cribb's superior toughness and experience against sluggers would tell, and he would knock Sullivan out of time after nearly being dispatched himself.

A great match up and a brave prediction.

I'll have to find out some more about this man Cribb.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
A great match up and a brave prediction.

I'll have to find out some more about this man Cribb.
He's the sort of fighter who would find a way to win with all four limbs broken and a hangover.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Dempsey Vs Marciano, theres already a thread about, Duodenums excellent post summed it up for me
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sugar Ray Robinson 147lbs vs Ezzard Charles 175lbs, Charles would be too big and probably score a late tko. Although at middleweight this could be a good fight but Ezzard didn't stay their long. (Althought its tough to pick just two since I'm a huge Duran and Chavez fan which would be a war at 135 with Duran probably getting a close decision.)
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I can't imagine Ray Leonard whipping Michael Spinks in a fight, so I'm glad it didn't happen.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

buck smith would flatten mickey rourke. and marty jakubowski would be the ref.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sanchez TKO's Chacon late. Bad styles matchup for Bobby. Sal eats him alive.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Dempsey V. Ketchel. Dempsey would probably put Ketchel away after several hard fought rounds.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

George Foreman eats Sugar Ray Robinson for breakfast.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmykeys
George Foreman eats Sugar Ray Robinson for breakfast.
I think Robinson would get a split decision.

Interesting mix for your two favourite fighters.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If Greg comes in like he did vs Witherspoon Tommy might win a UD

But if he comes in inspired the Page can simply pick the round.

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #14
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

For me that would be Louis v Tyson. Dear God! It's hard to pick just two though...there are a lot of fighters I admire, so can I pick another?

Hagler v Robinson Dear God again!

PS - McGarin, why is Burley one of your faves? Just curious, because there's barely any footage of Burley. (If you know of any that is fairly accessible, let me know.)
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
For me that would be Louis v Tyson.
This is the heavyweight fight i'd most like to see. I am a big Louis fan, and would pick him, but it would be heart in the mouth time right at the first bell, because peak Tyson has about a 49% chance of winning IMO.

Quote:
PS - McGarin, why is Burley one of your faves? Just curious, because there's barely any footage of Burley. (If you know of any that is fairly accessible, let me know.)
You can see Burley fight Oakland Billy Smith (in two parts) on YouTube. Bare in mind that this is a WW fighting a LHW and also - horrifically - it may be the only fight where Burley set out to carry his man as well as the only fight that is on film.

I got drawn to the Burley story on account of his reputation amongst hardcore fight fans. Many (TBooze for one on the boards) has him near the top of their all time p4p list.

Anyway, once I was involved I was near hypnotised. It's bullshit, what most people think of Burley, think he's a purely a defensive master etc., he was a warrior when it was all on the line.

He was cheated out of so many different things, decisions, title shots, Zivic actually bought his contact so he wouldn't have to fight him. Aside from the great black HW's, i consider him the most avoided fighter of all time, and he perhaps give even them a run for their money.

He was honest, possibly never taking dirty money, despite the fact that it cost him in terms of career advancement, money etc. He retired at 29, still one of the best in the world p4p.

There's a story that SRR's people offered Burley a 3 fight contract with Robinson. But he had to ditch the first one. Charley declined.

SRR had already ducked Burley twice and Charley had never earned more than $1500, and never would. Whether the SRR story is true or not, there can be few men in fighting history with his kind of moral courage - and for what it's worth I think it's possible he may be the very best man who ever laced them up.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum