Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will You Support Calzaghe Over Hopkins?

I'll be supporting Hopkins. It would be great for all the old men out there if Hopkins won.
mike464 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #17
Sprint
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 526

I will be supporting Calzaghe but I can't say I would be devastated if he lost to Bernard. I can't help but like the old warrior and enjoy some of his tedious ramblings. It will be a great 'legacy' fight for the winner as both are close to retirement, in fact I think we won't see Bernard in the ring again. However, as good a 'spoiler' and technician Bernard WAS, there is no way his current punch output will afford any other result than a comfortable points loss.
Sprint is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Kessler showed the way to beat Joe with clever countering and shot picking. Hopkins will win this- I have no doubts at all. I like Calzaghe loads I want him to win but he's no chance. He will not be able to use his workrate effectively because Hopkins will keep it at range using clever movement and will catch him every time he starts to unload. Hopkins UD.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Thats surprised me Jeff, I really can't see Calzaghe losing. He'll be too busy and Hopkins doesn't hit hard enough or often enough to deter him.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Obviously.

Aside from the fact that hes British hes a far more entertaining fighter than Borenard.

EDIT: Right im going to try and keep objective and refrain from Hopkins hate. I admire the guy alot, what hes achieved and especially his longetivity. I also took the infamous 'white boy' comments with a pinch of salt. I have a tendency to attack my favoured fighters opponents even if I have great respect for them...JC UD 12 I think this fight is going to surprise alot of people...I believe it will be gripping and interesting to the last and I'm really looking forward to it.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Kessler showed the way to beat Joe with clever countering and shot picking. Hopkins will win this- I have no doubts at all. I like Calzaghe loads I want him to win but he's no chance. He will not be able to use his workrate effectively because Hopkins will keep it at range using clever movement and will catch him every time he starts to unload. Hopkins UD.
I like the sound of that.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Thats surprised me Jeff, I really can't see Calzaghe losing. He'll be too busy and Hopkins doesn't hit hard enough or often enough to deter him.
You falling into the same predictive mistake that a lot of people are. Hopkins hits very hard. Certainly harder then Kessler and he will deter Calazaghe by nailing him coming in. He's clever enough and vesatile enough to make Calzaghe pay coming in!
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I just don't see it, I don't think he punches as hard as Kessler.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #24
dwilson

vCash:

I'm not going to comment on who I actually think will win. I want Calzaghe to win and in a long brutal fashion. I want him to hand out a real beating.

I'm split on who I think takes this. Apart of me goes along with JC and a part of me goes with Bunny-Hop. I just hope it does not come down to the judges score cards.

Last edited by BoppaZoo; 03-15-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
bizness
Journeyman

Hopkins is my fav fighter so i want him 2 win.

think joe gives him a few probs early on with high work rate but hopkins is technically excellent and will figure joe out and start hurting him and take over 4 a ud!!!!
bizness is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
I'm split on who I think takes this. Apart of me goes along with JC and a part of me goes with Bunny-Hop. I just hope it does not come down to the judges score cards.
It's almost certain to.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
It's almost certain to.

We all know the white boy is gonna get all the favour's.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
It's almost certain to.
I agree, I don't think either man can stop the other.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #29
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
You falling into the same predictive mistake that a lot of people are. Hopkins hits very hard. Certainly harder then Kessler and he will deter Calazaghe by nailing him coming in. He's clever enough and vesatile enough to make Calzaghe pay coming in!
Jeff,

You know I respect your knowledge but Hopkins hits very hard? Harder than Kessler? At 175? Where is the evidence of that? Even down at 160 I always regarded Hopkins as having more of a sneaky kind of power...moderate to good enough to keep you in check but not brutal concusive power that someone like G-Man had or very good power like Benn....I know that statistics etc don't tell the whole story but the last time Hopkins stopped someone was in 2001...Tito Trinidad a blown up welter...before that 2000 I believe.

He scored a cheeky knockdown against Tarver and he didn't look particularly hurt. Kesslers power is somewhat overrated on these boards but to say Hopkins hits harder to me is a bit of a stretch...equal at best. Beyer may not have been a great fighter but Kesslers ko of him was rather impressive.

In terms of having enough to deter Calzaghe? Sure if he catches him clean over and over again. I have serious doubts about him being able to catch Joe all that regularly as it is without factoring in Hopkins declining shot output. He ain't going to stop Joe in his tracks with one shot though. It will take more than that to deter him.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #30
edster
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness
Hopkins is my fav fighter so i want him 2 win.

think joe gives him a few probs early on with high work rate but hopkins is technically excellent and will figure joe out and start hurting him and take over 4 a ud!!!!
I was wondering at what stage you would sneak in with your prediction, well as ever your guess narrows the field for me lol

Calzaghe will retire the pensioner once and for all - Bhop will not be able to fight at the pace Calzaghe sets and will be doing his usual - thinking a good fight - what genuine boxing fan wants to see a 125year old man become a universally recognised champ anyway He's had his day Calzaghe UD or late stoppage.

Last edited by edster; 03-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.
edster is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum