Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #31
antonio plaisir
the detonator
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: why when mentioning the true greats of boxing does duran get talked about so high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
Well Buchanan was a good boxer. But fair enough, that definitely wasn't Duran's best performance nor was it at his best weight, but I guess if you're looking for something to hang your hat on, some of those post Leonard-Duran I, fights would be it.

The Kirkland fight was even worse, if you want to use that one as proof that Mayweather would win. I hardly even recognised Duran in that fight, the commentators had a shopping list of all the things Duran normally did better.

Maybe you can also use the first Leon Spinks fight to suggest that Wlad would beat Ali.
you misunderstand, i agree with you and was ridiculing the other.

at lw a focused duran demolishes floyd.
antonio plaisir is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #32
eltirado
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: why when mentioning the true greats of boxing does duran get talked about so high

Own prime Undefeated SRL at his weightclass, only loss SRL to suffer in his prime
Held his ground vs Hagler
Upset Barkley who KTFO Hearns (KTFO Duran)

The stuff that captures imagination...not safe fights all the time
eltirado is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #33
MVC!
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio plaisir View Post
you misunderstand, i agree with you and was ridiculing the other.
You can ridicule all you want.

Fact: Modern day fighters are always going to be at a disadvantage vs past ones in fantasy fights.

They won't be considered worthy until they finally retire.

You can't disprove anything I said.
MVC! is online now  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #34
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC! View Post
De Jesus/Benitez did it and let's not pretend those guy have immense power because they didn't. Those guys probably couldn't break a potato chip with their punches.

Mayweather is a better fighter than De Jesus and arguably better than Benitez.

For everyone who claims that Duran would have knocked Mayweather out for sure, BULLSHIT. Just bs.

Not only does Mayweather possess an amazing chin, but Duran has had his trouble knocking out journeymen in his career. Not knocking his punching power because Duran can crack but would he really find Mayweather's chin? That's a question.

Mayweather's boxing ability would have befuddled Duran. Duran has never seen anything like Mayweather, not that kind of defense.

Sure he's had a top 10-15 ATG career, knocking out De Jesus twice, Joppy, Moore, etc and amassed arguably the greatest LW resume.

But he hasn't knocked out anybody who was truly ELITE. Top of the top. He has never knocked any of the FAB4 fighters down.

And they said the same thing about Whitaker/Chavez. What happened? Whitaker's jab/movement completely shut Chavez down.
You know what I don't understand? Why do so many people call Mayweather feather fisted? If he was feather fisted, what aren't guys out there walking through his punches? It simply hasn't happened, guys should be walking through his punches if he is so feather fisted, yet not a single person he has faced could do that. I have NEVER heard an opponent of his say he had no power after they faced him, yet I continually hear guys talk about how he hit way harder than they ever expected, how shocked they were at his power. I remember Marquez stating he hit around the same as Pacquiao, a guy nobody would consider feather fisted, and Marquez would know, he has been in there with Pac 4 times now. Guerrero is renowned for having a great chin, Mayweather was on the verge of knocking him out before hurting his hand.

People saying Mayweather has no power are FULL OF SHIT. He hasn't been getting knockouts because he is a defensive fighter, and isn't someone who is going to swing wild for knockouts, his game revolves around avoiding the big shots. To land the big shots, you open yourself up to big counters, Mayweather is a guy who always wants to avoid those heavy counters. However when he wants to sit down on shots, he can stop guys with great chins like Guerrero and Mosely in their tracks, neither of those guys walked through his shots, both clearly respected his power after feeling it. I have no doubt if he wanted to go for knockouts, he could get many of the guys he has fought out of there.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #35
antonio plaisir
the detonator
ESB Addict

Quote:
You can ridicule all you want.

Fact: Modern day fighters are always going to be at a disadvantage vs past ones in fantasy fights.

They won't be considered worthy until they finally retire.

You can't disprove anything I said.
you said benitez lacked power.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #36
MVC!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
you said benitez lacked power.
I'm saying he isn't a big puncher, at all. I might have exaggerated here and there

Which elite fighters has he knocked out?

I'd love to know. School me on this.
MVC! is online now  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #37
antonio plaisir
the detonator
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm saying he isn't a big puncher, at all. I might have exaggerated here and there

Which elite fighters has he knocked out?

I'd love to know. School me on this.
you, exaggerate? who'd've thunk it. how did he win his 3rd weightclass world title again?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #38
eltirado
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran didn't have health concerns...although Arcel did...so he bypassed Pryor in his only fight avoided...mainly by his manager
eltirado is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #39
MVC!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
you, exaggerate? who'd've thunk it. how did he win his 3rd weightclass world title again?
Who did he beat again?

Hope wasn't elite, never was.

Good title holder, I'll give him that.

Now answer the q!
MVC! is online now  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #40
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member

Still waiting for someone to answer my question for my early post, about how Mayweather can possibly be "feather fisted" after the evidence I provided.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #41
antonio plaisir
the detonator
ESB Addict

Quote:
Who did he beat again?

Hope wasn't elite, never was.

Good title holder, I'll give him that.

Now answer the q!
weird, you admit to exaggeration, then ask for proof of it. unlike you, i remember radar's career, and contemporary reports. and don't flatter yourself for a moment into believing you call a tune and i dance to it.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #42
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Duran was the greatest lightweight champion in boxing history, then went up in weight and fought all the greats, including Hagler for 15 rounds...........
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #43
antonio plaisir
the detonator
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrax99 View Post
Still waiting for someone to answer my question for my early post, about how Mayweather can possibly be "feather fisted" after the evidence I provided.
stop your whining, you hypersensitive little tart. benitez and de jesus were the 2 who couldn't break a potato chip, apparently.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #44
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboxer View Post
Duran was the greatest lightweight champion in boxing history, then went up in weight and fought all the greats, including Hagler for 15 rounds...........
Hardly scraped a decision against Leonard in the 1st fight, despite Leonard being an egomaniac, going toe to toe, throwing the fight down the drain, and Duran hardly scrapes a victory. Leonard fights his fight in the second match, utterly humuliates Duran, until Duran "the warrior" literally quits, in the infamous "no mas." Leonard later gets a detatched retina in his career, and beats up Duran again before he retired. Leonard 2 out of 3.

Leonard comes out of retirement, is clearly washed up, still beats Hagler. Hagler clearly beat Duran, those claiming it was super close don't know how to score. Hagler clearly won, no disputing it.

Leonard knocked out Wilfred Benitez. Benitez made easy work of Duran, he made him look like an absolute novice, outboxing Duran with ease. Duran hit air all night long, despite supposedly being this amazing boxer.

Leonard knocked out Hearns in the 1st match, in the 14th round. The second fight is a bit controversial, but either way Leonard went the 15, it was a close fight. Leonard was in there for 29 rounds against Hearns, clearly winning the first, as he knocked Hearns out. How does Duran do? He can't even last two rounds in there, gets knocked the **** out.

That should put things in perspective, Duran is nowhere near as amazing as people like to believe. I used these specific examples as reference, especially to the morons who rank Duran a top 5 all time. I have clear cut examples here of him against the same competition as someone else.
cyrax99 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #45
cyrax99
The Greatest
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
stop your whining, you hypersensitive little tart. benitez and de jesus were the 2 who couldn't break a potato chip, apparently.
Umm, why exactly are you making this point to me?

I never said that, I haven't watched too much of De Jesus, so I'd be the last to make conclusions on anything to do with him.

Benitez is one of my favorite all time fighters though, and he certainly was not feather fisted. He had proper power when he sat down on his shots.
cyrax99 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum