Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Wlads Legasy in 2 years IF

I see Mike Perez has signed to fight Jennings and based off his last fight unless he can trim down possibly drop 15-20 lbs and be able to fight 3 minutes of every round I pick Jennings who is always in serious condition.

Areola vs BS I think Areola may come into the fight in shape this time, last time was a disgrace too fat and lazy, both men were huffing...Areola takes it if he is in condition but loses to Wilder

And then we have the deceptive Pulev who they may match with the winner of Fury - Chisora...I'm going with Fury here but I think Pulev edges Fury

So Wlad who is now 38 years old has at least 2 tough fights in front of him after his next fight that he should win.

Jennings or Perez....who wins and how does the Wlad fight go

Wilder, Areola,B Stilverne who wins and how does the Wlad fight go

Fury or Pulev but to fight 3 fights in 2 years and Wlad will be 40 so its pushing it...If he can beat these younger men ( do you think he can?) and probably the 3 toughest fights of his career where does that put his legacy?

How do you see it playing out
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129
Default Re: Wlads Legasy in 2 years IF

If I know what we're talking about, it strongly depends on how New New Orleans cuisine is viewed through the context of time.

Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Incidentally, I did not even know the two were seeing each other.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

From my understanding of the situation some of what you wrote is inaccurate.

- Stiverne/Arreola winner has to face Wilder, that winner has to face Jennings/Perez so Vova will only face one of them and that's if they don't become a WBC American titlist and avoid him which is quite possible and go the Peter Quillin route.

- Pulev is the IBF mandatory and has been since before Lapai became the WBO so that fight is long overdue. I can't imagine him facing anyone other than Kubrat next and apprently Vova wants three fights this year so i could be as soon as this summer. I very much doubt Sauerland would risk a guarenteed shot by fighting the Fury/Chisora winner.

So Pulev is next then i can see him facing the Fury/Chisora winner as a voluntary due to fan interest and money, WBC winner who knows. If he beats all three he'll have come out on top against the next crop and should retire. How it will add to his legacy will be unknown until those guys finish their own careers if some of them go on to be quality belt holders or a Unified Champion it would do alot.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
If I know what we're talking about, it strongly depends on how New New Orleans cuisine is viewed through the context of time.

Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Incidentally, I did not even know the two were seeing each other.
Great controversy still hangs like a fog in the area on account of Emeril's bold decision to serve the BBQ shrimp in his namesake restaurant already decapitated. Purists argue that without the head, which holds the crustacean's sweet, sweet fat, the dish is a mere echo of what it was meant to be.

Did Emerils' New New Orleans cuisine shift the classic New Orleans style forward, or lead it astray, like the northeastern pied piper his Cajun critics paint him as. I fear it's still too soon to know.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wlad first must get past Leapai at the end of the month and while he clearly should, at 38 nothing is ever a hundred percent given anymore. Then unless he is allowed to unify with the Stiverne/Arreola winner, which is what Wlad wants but won't get because the powers that be have set up Wilder for the shot, he'll face Pulev. The WBC belt then must have a second mandatory against the Ortiz/Bryant winner by which time Wlad's next mandatory will be due against the Fury/Chisora winner. So realistically Wlad will be unable to unify until the end of 2015 unless some major politicking happens behind the scene. As it is Wlad's next three fights assuming he continues to win are Leapai, Pulev, and the Fury/Chisora winner. Pulev is clearly the most dangerous with fast hands, a good jab and solid technical skills. He is the second best in the division so a win over him enhances Wlad's legacy. If Wlad then defeats Fury it will be a mixed bag, some will say Fury was a total bum others will say his resume was solid and his sheer size makes him a credible win. Either way if Wlad wins these three bouts his resume will improve significantly.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
Great controversy still hangs like a fog in the area on account of Emeril's bold decision to serve the BBQ shrimp in his namesake restaurant already decapitated. Purists argue that without the head, which holds the crustacean's sweet, sweet fat, the dish is a mere echo of what it was meant to be.

Did Emerils' New New Orleans cuisine shift the classic New Orleans style forward, or lead it astray, like the northeastern pied piper his Cajun critics paint him as. I fear it's still too soon to know.
Dammit, Rock. We have been through this so many times before! He's trying to help people who are predisposed to the gout. What don't you understand about that? You want people in pain? Is that it? Is it
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I see Mike Perez has signed to fight Jennings and based off his last fight unless he can trim down possibly drop 15-20 lbs and be able to fight 3 minutes of every round I pick Jennings who is always in serious condition.

Areola vs BS I think Areola may come into the fight in shape this time, last time was a disgrace too fat and lazy, both men were huffing...Areola takes it if he is in condition but loses to Wilder

And then we have the deceptive Pulev who they may match with the winner of Fury - Chisora...I'm going with Fury here but I think Pulev edges Fury

So Wlad who is now 38 years old has at least 2 tough fights in front of him after his next fight that he should win.

Fury or Pulev but to fight 3 fights in 2 years and Wlad will be 40 so its pushing it...If he can beat these younger men ( do you think he can?) and probably the 3 toughest fights of his career where does that put his legacy?

Wlad could fight another 50 mandatories of the calibre of his next opponent it won't alter his all time ranking for me as dire as the division is at present. He doesnt make my top ten and never will. Arreolla has the skills of a club fighter and the dedication of a champion burger eater.Pulev is slow and rudimentary and lacks power, Leapai? lets not even go there the Heavyweight title is a FARCE.if it had any quality 42 years old Thompson would not be in the ratings
Wlad's last outing was a disgrace imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Wlad could fight another 50 mandatories of the calibre of his next opponent it won't alter his all time ranking for me as dire as the division is at present. He doesnt make my top ten and never will. Arreolla has the skills of a club fighter and the dedication of a champion burger eater.Pulev is slow and rudimentary and lacks power, Leapai? lets not even go there the Heavyweight title is a FARCE.if it had any quality 42 years old Thompson would not be in the ratings
I strongly disagree about Wlad's placement in history. I also wouldn't label his last fight a disgrace, ugly yes but not a disgrace. I do agree about Leapai, he is totally undeserving and beating a fighter of his resume and skill a hundred times would not move Wlad up one spot on my all time rankings. Historically speaking it's an all risk no reward fight. The best I can say in Leapai's defense is that sometimes these guys you never hear of come out of nowhere and put on a surprise performance. Such as an Axel Schulz or a Mavrovic.
I also agree to a large extant on Arreola his dedication is woeful and his skill set is of the club fighter variety. He is tough though and hopefully in shape next month. I do feel Stiverne will defeat him again. I believe Stiverne to be the third best heavyweight in the division. He has a solid amateur pedigree and his lone loss was a truly awful stoppage in a fight I believe he would have come back and won in. Pulev is rudimentary and slow of foot but he is not slow of hand and while lacking power he does position himself well and maximizes his assets. The division is deemed woeful in part because the Klitschko's have been so dominant. If anything truly hurts the division today it's that the economics of the sport have prevented top fighters from engaging one another. A single loss on a prized heavyweight can damage his earning power for years. An argument can also be made that the emergence of other sports in America as a safer and economically viable alternative to getting your face punched in has led the American talent pool to dwindle. However, the talent pool is growing on a global scale which counter acts that point.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

Wlad's caliber of opposition in his title run is no worse than Joe Louis. In fact Louis had a higher amount of easier marks. I agree Leapai is a BS defense, but he beat Boystov who would have made a better opponent. Age has jack to with ratings. There have been men over 40 who can still fight.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post

I think Pulev is okay with waiting for Wlad to age a bit. Pulev he should rate as one of the best 5-7 men that Wlad fought if the ever meet. He's a boi man with skills.

Wilder is a hype job, who can punch. Stiverene is actually decent.

Best guess, Wlad will slow down a bit as he ages, but he has too much left and should be very formidable for the next 2-3 years.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'm not going to make any predictions about what will happen when the smoke clears after all these guys fight each other. In boxing today, elimination procedures almost never pan out the way that they are intended. If Wlad can win out the rest of his career ( perhaps another two years and maybe 5 fights ) , he likely makes most people's top 10. Its been a decade, 20 fights and a lot of title bouts since he's suffered his last defeat. Whilst its true that his opposition is poor, he's also received f-ck all credit for beating the men that people have wanted to see him against, ie. Chagaev, Haye, Chambers, Povetkin, Peter II, Brewster II, etc.. There are some who will always blame him for fighting in a weak era as well as holding his 3 defeats over his head.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If he beat all those guys, it won't make much difference to most people who don't rate him now. As McVey's post illustrates.

Personally, I think he's being a bit underrated. I'm not saying he belongs anywhere near Larry Holmes or Joe Louis, but those guys defended their titles against plenty of ****py challengers too. They fought some better ones of course, but the bad ones were awful. As were several that Muhammad Ali fought.
Regardless of the quality of opposition, Wlad's winning streak and years unbeaten is getting a bit ridiculous now. 38 years old now. At that age I wouldn't be too harsh to him if he LOST to one of these 'bums'.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
If he beat all those guys, it won't make much difference to most people who don't rate him now. As McVey's post illustrates.

Personally, I think he's being a bit underrated. I'm not saying he belongs anywhere near Larry Holmes or Joe Louis, but those guys defended their titles against plenty of ****py challengers too. They fought some better ones of course, but the bad ones were awful. As were several that Muhammad Ali fought.
Regardless of the quality of opposition, Wlad's winning streak and years unbeaten is getting a bit ridiculous now. 38 years old now. At that age I wouldn't be too harsh to him if he LOST to one of these 'bums'.
That is a good point. He's already reached an age where most champions have historically either been retired or thoroughly washed up and losing to lower echelon fighters. His opposition is bad but I wouldn't say its the worst in heavyweight history. Let's face it, if Wlad fought a guy like Jack roper or Lorenzo Zanon, fans around here would scream their heads off for him to be stripped of his belt. Alex Leapai has no business getting a title shot, but at least he's beaten a contender and can punch. Lorenzo Zanon was a journeyman if someone wants to be kind.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Alex Leapai v Richard Dunn
Alex Leapai v Jean-Pierre Coopman
Alex Leapai v Chuck Wepner

?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Alex Leapai v Richard Dunn
Alex Leapai v Jean-Pierre Coopman
Alex Leapai v Chuck Wepner

?
Leapai
Leapai
Wepner (only because he has more experience fighting top tier opposition) but really who knows?

Just illustrates your point all HW's have a Leapai on their resume.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum