Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wlads Legasy in 2 years IF

Yeah, Alex Leapai's probably the worst challenger Wlad has faced. Or equal worse.
And I think between them, Ali and Holmes managed two or three at least, who were equally bad or worse.
Of course, Wlad's best challengers don't compare to theirs, but that's not really his fault - and his best challengers were at least decent fighters.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

One thing about Leapai that impressed me is his durability. He apparently gassed against Johnson, but watching the Walker fight, he was walking through some sick punishment.

Walker isn't a good fighter by any means but he can bang. He dropped or at least hurt alot of fighters, including Arreola, Adamek, Banks, Meehan, Chageav. The way Leapai absorbed so many of his power shots and forced a stoppage in the same round was impressive.

And Boystov is a solid win, like it or not. Leapai is slow, but he has heart, hits hard, and can take a shot. Wlad will easily outbox him but I don't think he's the terrible opponent that he's being made out to be. Hardly a "Sign of Times"
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Wlad's caliber of opposition in his title run is no worse than Joe Louis. In fact Louis had a higher amount of easier marks. I agree Leapai is a BS defense, but he beat Boystov who would have made a better opponent. Age has jack to with ratings. There have been men over 40 who can still fight.
What the fact that a 42 years old man is still rated indicates is that the division is very poor. Joe Louis never dodged his number one contender.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
One thing about Leapai that impressed me is his durability. He apparently gassed against Johnson, but watching the Walker fight, he was walking through some sick punishment.

Walker isn't a good fighter by any means but he can bang. He dropped or at least hurt alot of fighters, including Arreola, Adamek, Banks, Meehan, Chageav. The way Leapai absorbed so many of his power shots and forced a stoppage in the same round was impressive.

And Boystov is a solid win, like it or not. Leapai is slow, but he has heart, hits hard, and can take a shot. Wlad will easily outbox him but I don't think he's the terrible opponent that he's being made out to be. Hardly a "Sign of Times"
Hey, f*uck it, I'm picking him to spring an upset !
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Wlad has been ranked by the ring magazine for 13 years, was the their #1 contender for 5 years and has been their champion for another 5 years. So 13 years ranked and basically a top dog for 10 of those 13 years.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #21
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
What the fact that a 42 years old man is still rated indicates is that the division is very poor. Joe Louis never dodged his number one contender.
Holmes and Foreman were both rated in the division at the same time, c. 1992 - '95.
I'm not saying the division was very strong then (some people say it was) but I wouldn't say "very poor" either.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Hardly. Foreman and Holmes managed top ratings in the 90s while being much older. Moore at 48 got into the top 10 during the era of Clay and Liston. Not somthing I would read much into. I do think we are in transition stage at the moment.

Wlad hasn't dodged his number one contender either.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Wlad has been ranked by the ring magazine for 13 years, was the their #1 contender for 5 years and has been their champion for another 5 years.
Yep.
He's been a professional almost 18 years.
61-3.

Wins over ranked opponents ? Plenty.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Walker is sparring partner level that is where he usually earns his crust.
He can bang though, he dropped Vitali Klitschko in sparring.

. Leapai is a moblie punch bag who has no business near a title shot ,his only win of note is over Boytsov who himself has beaten no one with any pretensions to world class. Leapai was dropped and stopped by Kevin Johnson who is nota puncher that does not suggest durablity. At 34 Leapai is going to make one big pay day and hit the deck early . A travesty of a title fight.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Yep.
He's been a professional almost 18 years.
61-3.

Wins over ranked opponents ? Plenty.
Defences over men with the skills of journeymen ? PLENTY !
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hardly. Foreman and Holmes managed top ratings in the 90s while being much older. Moore at 48 got into the top 10 during the era of Clay and Liston.

Wlad hasn't dodged his number one contender either.
His number one contender for years was his brother. Moore was briefly number 9 in 1964, he wasnt involved in title challenges though. To compare Foreman and Holmes with Thompson is a bit of a stretch.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
So, you think the whole division sucked for the last 10 years. Okay, maybe, but if that's true it's not Wlad's fault. Can't fault the guy for winning, and staying in shape. Give him credit.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #28
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I can't disagree that his opposition sucks. But he can't be accused of ducking, gift decisions, or any recent defeats. He's unified the title, beaten the best available and in truth he's faced 3-4 guys over the past 5 years who weren't that bad. Much like yourself, I wish there was a prime Lewis or Holyfield for him to fight but we both know that it isn't happening.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #29
The Long Count
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I don't consider Wladimir not fighting his brother a dodge. If anything I have more respect for them turning down a huge payday for what essentially is blood money. It's a rather unique circumstance.
A ten year unbeaten and untied streak against the best the sport has to offer is really an impressive feat. Forget the quality of opposition how many champs would have self destructed already or ate themselves out of elite level. What he is doing takes dedication and is impressive.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #30
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
So, you think the whole division sucked for the last 10 years. Okay, maybe, but if that's true it's not Wlad's fault. Can't fault the guy for winning, and staying in shape. Give him credit.
If the division is weak, you can't treat him like he's so special either.
I Know Everythi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum