Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wlads Legasy in 2 years IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long Count View Post
I don't consider Wladimir not fighting his brother a dodge. If anything I have more respect for them turning down a huge payday for what essentially is blood money. It's a rather unique circumstance.
A ten year unbeaten and untied streak against the best the sport has to offer is really an impressive feat. Forget the quality of opposition how many champs would have self destructed already or ate themselves out of elite level. What he is doing takes dedication and is impressive.

Agree completely. And I will also ad to that the fact that most men wouldn't have recovered psychologically after suffering three bad defeats the way that he did to become a dominant champion. He is often sold short for this.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #32
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

There is no credit to give if you are fighting bums. Wlad has NEVER beaten an elite boxer in his life ever. and he lost to 3 C level boxers. Far from anything great
I Know Everythi is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #33
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Walker is sparring partner level that is where he usually earns his crust.
He can bang though, he dropped Vitali Klitschko in sparring.

. Leapai is a moblie punch bag who has no business near a title shot ,his only win of note is over Boytsov who himself has beaten no one with any pretensions to world class. Leapai was dropped and stopped by Kevin Johnson who is nota puncher that does not suggest durablity. At 34 Leapai is going to make one big pay day and hit the deck early . A travesty of a title fight.
Walker is the real definition of a jounreyman.

Nobody is durable when they are gassed, that suggests bad stamina which he seemed to address against Boystov.

It's not a super fight but its no travesty.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #34
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
So, you think the whole division sucked for the last 10 years. Okay, maybe, but if that's true it's not Wlad's fault. Can't fault the guy for winning, and staying in shape. Give him credit.
People forget that Ruslan Chagaev, David Haye, Alexander Povetkin and even Eddie Chambers were highly touted opponents at one point in time. When he got in the ring and either dominated them or forced them to go into scared survival mode - making for bad showings, people wrote them off as "bums", hence leaving Wlad no credit for facing or even beating them.. Kind of a sad rut he's stuck in.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #35
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Walker is the real definition of a jounreyman.

Nobody is durable when they are gassed, that suggests bad stamina which he seemed to address against Boystov.

It's not a super fight but its no travesty.
Say that after you've watched it.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #36
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=I Know Everythi;16129213]There is no credit to give if you are fighting bums. Wlad has NEVER beaten an elite boxer in his life ever.
Very well. Start your own boxing management business and produce one for him then.. Thus far, no one else seems to have been able to.

Quote:
and he lost to 3 C level boxers. Far from anything great
Yes, earlier in his career before some of his defensive flaws were corrected by one of the greatest trainers of all time. He has since gone unbeaten for a full decade and through 17 world title fights.. He is now at an age where most champions were either retired or looking piss poor, yet he's still in sculpted condition and defending a unified crown..
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #37
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
His number one contender for years was his brother. Moore was briefly number 9 in 1964, he wasnt involved in title challenges though. To compare Foreman and Holmes with Thompson is a bit of a stretch.
-We all know his brother wasn't fighting him. He fought the next highest fighter twice, and when his brother was retired, fought his #1.

-Moore did destroy the #3 fighter. You are the one that is drawing the conclusion on age and not ability. Besides everyone is older now. The HW, LHW, MW, and WW Champs are all pushing 40. All the hot young prospects are about 30 with long amateur careers. It shouldn't be a surprise to see 40 year olds in the top 10.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #38
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Say that after you've watched it.
Well, Wlad/Povetkin was supposed to be the most digusting travesty since Galento/Nova but I didn't find it offensive.

The HW division as a whole supposed to be trash not worth watching. But watching Cunningham/Mansour fight their hearts out last Saturday, I can't say I agree. That was a real war.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

I prsonally want to see Wlad fight Wilder, Fury and Chisora. If he fights and beats these guys then hes due all the respect in the world. Because i feel these 3 guys are very dangerous to Wlad
fury because of what he brings all round, wilder due to his size and power and chisora due to his chin, aggression and non stop.pressure.

If wlad beats these then in my book hes answered some outstanding questions
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #40
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Well, Wlad/Povetkin was supposed to be the most digusting travesty since Galento/Nova but I didn't find it offensive.

The HW division as a whole supposed to be trash not worth watching. But watching Cunningham/Mansour fight their hearts out last Saturday, I can't say I agree. That was a real war.
If you think Wlad v Povetkin was worth watching then maybe you are easily pleased , each to their own.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #41
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
I prsonally want to see Wlad fight Wilder, Fury and Chisora. If he fights and beats these guys then hes due all the respect in the world. Because i feel these 3 guys are very dangerous to Wlad
fury because of what he brings all round, wilder due to his size and power and chisora due to his chin, aggression and non stop.pressure.

If wlad beats these then in my book hes answered some outstanding questions
Fury is chinny and is fighting also rans.Wilder throws long looping punches and goes crazy if he lands one, he has as much technique as Joe Grim.

Chisora at last has himself in shape, in the twilight of his career, he lacks power and has already been badly exposed by Haye.
Stiverne looks better than all three but he hasn't met anyone I call class, but then there isn't anyone outside of Wlad in that category.

Crap division full of fat boys like lazy Solis and Arreola,and untested East Europeans. I couldnt care less about it.The most prestigious prize in sport is now a joke and the fights for it are not even carried by US TV,and with ****ing good reason.The Germans will watch anything ,they thought Otke and Maske were Supermen,well they are welcome to it.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #42
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

I tend to agree with McVey here.

However, one thing we have to give Wlad tremendous credit for, is that he is always in phenomenal shape and comes in 100% prepared. One would think that being so dominant would make him a little lazy or complacent, but no. That's almost unique in the annals of heavyweight champions.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #43
VG_Addict
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2030

Is Wlad a top 10 ATG HW?
VG_Addict is offline  Top
Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #44
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
Is Wlad a top 10 ATG HW?
most would say no. But a logical argument can be made for him at least being rated at the bottom of it ( 9-10.) He has been ranked a total of 13 years, with five of those years spent as the ring's champion and an additional five as the #1 contender. He's had the longest reign as lineal champion of anyone since probably Larry Holmes and has for the most part, a unified title, though there are so many belts these days, I'm not even sure what unified means anymore. I would say that anywhere from about 10-14 is a reasonable rating for him, but again it depends on criteria. As it stands, I'm probably a minority.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #45
FartWristedBum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Wlad is short of ATG status. His brother and he have shared out the comp and also people are saying it's been slim pickin's at HW in recent times. He's not even taken on all comers as far as I'm concerned, I think most fans would have appreciated him more if he'd taken more risks, been in more exciting fights and cleaned up the division himself.

Can't argue with his conditioning or dedication, he gives value in that respect definitely. I can't really rate him though as all-time, his flapping and grabbing were a farce in his last match.....I can' trecall any other fighters in the HW ATG discussion doing anything like that.
FartWristedBum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum