Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Klitschko's loss to Purity

After reviewing this fight, I think it was the fault of Wlad's management for agreeing to a 12 round bout against a durable veteran. In his 24 previous fights, Wlad had only been 8 rounds once and 6 rounds twice. He was winning nearly every round before gassing at the end of the 10th and suffering a knockdown. He survived the round and would have gotten the decision had it been scheduled for 10. He actually dominated purity before succumbing to exhaustion in the 11th.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Klitschko's loss to Purity

I always felt that way. Management can make bad decisions. Vlad was busy selling tickets for this fight and supposedly was not in the best condition but there should be a different strategy against a durable guy who has a solid chin and stamina. They should have assumed there would be no KO and expected a distance fight, therefore a 10 rounder at the most.

I think Vlad's management made another mistake with there strategy vs Sanders. Vlad came in cold, was overconfident and he took Sanders lightly and if you look at Sanders record he had power and fast hands add Southpaw to that mixture and it should spell caution. Sanders was heavily avoided at the time and in fact had the same promotion as Lennox Lewis....

I think Vlad early style of letting his hands go and running out of gas was similar to George Foreman early except that Vlad for the most part fought tougher men coming up. I could see Foreman getting sparked by Sanders (based off the Lyle fight) Lose to Byrd (based off the young fight) and run out of gas vs Purity ...the older Foreman like the post losses Vlad learned a thing or 2 about condition, defense and pace
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Agree Bummy. I'm wondering if they were trying to boost his marketability by getting him a title with that fight, explaining why it was a 12 rounder. But scheduling it for 10 might have saved him an ugly loss while acquiring some much needed experience at the same time.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he acquired much good experience from that fight anyway.

Management shouldn't be scared to take some risks. A loss for a young fighter shouldn't be seen as some sort of permanent set-back. Losing fights on the way up happens. Credit to Wlad for learning and developing from these lessons.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I think he acquired much good experience from that fight anyway.

Management shouldn't be scared to take some risks. A loss for a young fighter shouldn't be seen as some sort of permanent set-back. Losing fights on the way up happens. Credit to Wlad for learning and developing from these lessons.

I agree but had they signed for a 10 rounder and against a tough opponent like Purity it would have been risk enough. He had only been 8 rounds on one occasion in his career and nowhere near 12. Top it off with him being in there with a guy who had taken about 80% of the division the distance and even beat a few good fighters and it wasn't surprising that he failed.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I always felt that way. Management can make bad decisions. Vlad was busy selling tickets for this fight and supposedly was not in the best condition but there should be a different strategy against a durable guy who has a solid chin and stamina. They should have assumed there would be no KO and expected a distance fight, therefore a 10 rounder at the most.

I think Vlad's management made another mistake with there strategy vs Sanders. Vlad came in cold, was overconfident and he took Sanders lightly and if you look at Sanders record he had power and fast hands add Southpaw to that mixture and it should spell caution. Sanders was heavily avoided at the time and in fact had the same promotion as Lennox Lewis....

I think Vlad early style of letting his hands go and running out of gas was similar to George Foreman early except that Vlad for the most part fought tougher men coming up. I could see Foreman getting sparked by Sanders (based off the Lyle fight) Lose to Byrd (based off the young fight) and run out of gas vs Purity ...the older Foreman like the post losses Vlad learned a thing or 2 about condition, defense and pace
I can't.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I agree but had they signed for a 10 rounder and against a tough opponent like Purity it would have been risk enough. He had only been 8 rounds on one occasion in his career and nowhere near 12. Top it off with him being in there with a guy who had taken about 80% of the division the distance and even beat a few good fighters and it wasn't surprising that he failed.
Yeah, there was one of those minor titles up for grabs, a WBC "international" thing, that gets a fighter a top 10 or 20 ranking or something, or whatever.

You're right, Purrity should be expected to at least make it tough AND/OR go the distance.
Putting a heavyweight with such little experience of going rounds in an almost guaranteed 12-rounder is unwise.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Yeah, there was one of those minor titles up for grabs, a WBC "international" thing, that gets a fighter a top 10 or 20 ranking or something, or whatever.

You're right, Purrity should be expected to at least make it tough AND/OR go the distance.
Putting a heavyweight with such little experience of going rounds in an almost guaranteed 12-rounder is unwise.

As things turned out his career was still very successful. But that loss could have been easily avoided.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

His management wasn't fighting in the ring so its Wlads fault for being an overrated bum who never beat elite boxers in his whole career
I Know Everythi is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
After reviewing this fight, I think it was the fault of Wlad's management for agreeing to a 12 round bout against a durable veteran. In his 24 previous fights, Wlad had only been 8 rounds once and 6 rounds twice. He was winning nearly every round before gassing at the end of the 10th and suffering a knockdown. He survived the round and would have gotten the decision had it been scheduled for 10. He actually dominated purity before succumbing to exhaustion in the 11th.
A better corner telling him to stop pressing it would have saved Wlad. OR better management realizing that Wlad had never gone past 8 rounds. A 10 round match would have been fine. Wlad was also ill, and fighting in front of his home town fans.

He did learn from the experience.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Stepping up in 12 against a journeyman/gatekeeper shouldn't have been out of the realms of where Wlad was at this stage.

He got beat by a fighter who out gritted him and beat him up.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
SILVER SKULL 66
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I can't.
n
Neither can I

If Holyfield, Morrison, Michael Moorer, couldn't put George on the canvas, NO WAY IN HELL DOES SANDERS, Foreman would have beat the hell out of him..
JEEZ LOUISE, Sanders, and Tua are the most over-rated guy's on this forum, it's crazy
SILVER SKULL 66 is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
SILVER SKULL 66
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Stepping up in 12 against a journeyman/gatekeeper shouldn't have been out of the realms of where Wlad was at this stage.

He got beat by a fighter who out gritted him and beat him up.
DITTO, If the fight had been a 10 rounder , Purrity might just as well have turned up the heat earlier and KO'D him sooner...

I saw the fight too and Purrity just kicked his ass no ands ifs and butts, it looked like man against boy...

Purrity was a tough ass dude , who could bring it...
SILVER SKULL 66 is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER SKULL 66 View Post
DITTO, If the fight had been a 10 rounder , Purrity might just as well have turned up the heat earlier and KO'D him sooner...

I saw the fight too and Purrity just kicked his ass no ands ifs and butts, it looked like man against boy...

Purrity was a tough ass dude , who could bring it...
Purity DID turn up the heat. In the tenth round AFTER Wlad had noticeably slowed and tired. He was beating ross for most of 9 rounds prior to that. There is no guarantee that he would have won in a 10 rounder. But it sure as hell was foolish of his people to schedule him for 12, never having been past 8 and facing a man who had taken most of the division the distance and even upset a few decent names..
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

great post by bummy to help start this thread off!

yep, the classic lesson a young strong bull needs to learn is "pacing" oneself when one is up against a tough opponent that one can not just get out of their by punching even HARDER and more often.

This lesson is extremely difficult to learn.

The bigger ones EGO is in ways will help one be a great boxer, however, its a double edged sword as the bigger the EGO the more confidence one will have when the going gets tough that they can just get mad and reach down deeper and start kicking ass.

The best of prospects that fall into this category will have such early success just cranking up the heat when it is needed that they never get the experience they needed learning what to do when one cranks up the heat and their opponent is still standing fighting back and ones arms are rubber as their is no more heat suddenly to turn up. Vlad no doubt was so good he could cheat his way past this lesson for most of his career.

In my mind he didn't even really fully learn this lesson with Purrity which suggests he is prone to resisting this lesson.

With Brewster in their first fight, unless he was drugged, lol, well sorry if this was somehow the case but assuming that it wasn't and I really doubt it, nothing changes the fact that Vlad really lost focus with Brewster and started to waste his energy in the first few rounds.

Not until a few fights with Manny does Vlad start pacing himself with a majority of purpose.

The Sanders loss was totally different as Vlad was tagged clean and early by a guy that had a very powerful punch that landed flush.

The second Brewster fight Vlad has learnt this lesson, thus it would not surprise me if Brewster from the opening bell of their second fight was waiting for Vlad's eyes to get SCARED and his power to drop way off and when that didn't begin happening I think Brewster had no answer because Vlad is a pretty great heavyweight all haters aside.

Vlad's loss to Purrity in my mind is nothing but a good learning experience. A lesson he was going to have to learn one way or another. Its the type of LOSS that makes a boxer stronger or teaches them that they never want to get punched that hard in the face again and thus they are in the wrong game. Additionally, I would bet Vlad would knock Purrity out if they fought today in their primes. How? By not trying to knock Purrity out I would not be surprised if Vlad ended up knocking Purrity out somewhat unexpectedly before the final bell. Well probably not with a early shot but with a accumulation of solid blows that remain solid through out the entire fight.

Lastly, yes I agree with the side point that it was STUPID to put Vlad into a 12rd fight even if it was for some fringe belt that promoted one greatly up the rankings. Not that Vlad is not at fault for having the anxiety issues still not sorted to PACE himself, it was stupid because Vlad before the Purrity fight showed that he had a potential PACING problem and he had never gone more than 8rds and Purrity was KNOWN for one thing that being able to take a huge punch and keep fighting. Thus stupid managing.. Mind you, maybe Vlad got stronger from that loss mentally having to deal with getting pasted after thinking he could just WILL himself to win when he ran out of gas which even the very best have to learn at some point and or level.

Last edited by latineg; 04-11-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: made a mistake
latineg is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum