Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
CST80
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300
Default The Cult of Overhypers

I've been following this site for a few years, joined last year and started posting last month, and the most troublesome trend that I see is the moment a lesser known fighter upsets a more well known fighter, or a C level fighter steps up and does well against an B level figter, this entire site goes apeshit and explodes with orgasmic joy bordering on giddiness about how we have just witnessed the birth of the Next Big Thing, and he's an unstoppable future All Time Great.

This is very immature way of looking at the sport, its the epitome of jumping on the bandwagon like you are on the vanguard of a new movement, you've found a new hero who is a monster that will walk through every division in their vicinity with ease. Yet the moment they fail to live up to the hype that people have bestowed upon them, or even expectations that have been placed on them, they are dropped and kicked to the curb as a worthless bum who isn't worth shit.

There are very few boxers that are next level, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Ward, Klitschko, Hopkins, Rigondeaux, Prime Martinez, even some of these are debatable, and it takes incredible talent to come close to toppling them. We love to Hero Worship and pretend that our heroes are unbreakable, they are humans not mythical beings they can be hurt, beaten and even die in the ring one awkward punch, one moment their defense is down, bad conditioning, moment of unattentiveness, personal problems etc. anyone can be beaten, everyone has their kryptonite.

But not everyone who has a good performance against a style that fits them well will be the next world beater, if they can prove repeatedly against a variety of offensive and defensive styles that they are the best, then they deserve the hype. Not beating fighters who are past their prime, out of their weight class, gatekeepers or cherry picked fighters to accentuate their positives. People need to cool it, we can have prospects we are excited about without losing our reason and logic, and automatically saying they will beat the best in the world because they look good against someone they are supposed to look good against, and be a fan but with a little perspective and lower expectations maybe then we wouldn't be disappointed so often.

Some Examples: All of these fighters are talented but...

Shawn Porter - Looked great against Paulie, but Paulie's stance left him open to a repeated neck jarring left hooks, perfect opponent for Porter.

Terence Crawford - Gamboa was moving up in weight has a weak chin, bad defense, tends to run into counters.

Chris Algieri - I picked him to win, but Provo if you have a good chin is easy to outbox, how does he deal with someone isn't all offense.

Keith Thurman - All around very good against opponents that fail everytime they step up, he's next level but how does he fair when he steps up.

Canelo Alvarez - Everyone he's beaten has been old, weight-drained, or moving up in weight, yet when he steps up to a skilled fighter he loses or comes close to losing.

Vasil Lomachenko - I'm a fan but since Russell had never stepped up we don't how good he was, Salido proved he has flaws, way too soon to tell if he'll be an ATG.

Gennady Golovkin - He may be the real deal, but thus far his competition hasn't been stellar, the MW division is a shell of what it once was, so its hard to tell. But if anyone deserves the hype its him.

Feel free to add as many examples as you want.

Last edited by CST80; 06-29-2014 at 09:55 PM.
CST80 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
dan4579
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 150
Default Re: The Cult of Overhypers

Overhyping is awesome. It builds excitement and interest in upcoming fights. Of course, it is also a bit 'tarded.
dan4579 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 224

100%

The hype is real.

Pre-hypes:
Broner (omg the Flomo's all over him)
Provodnikov (wow he's a nice guy with great power and almost beat Bradley, surely he will go onto do big things!)

wasn't long ago...just a year before they were getting hyped. the fate of the current 'hypes' will be the same.

Cotto caught alot of hype with his victory over Martinez also...wasn't long ago Trout outpointed & thrustrated him...trout also lost to Canelo by just 1 point on my card (knockdown made the difference)

Last edited by miniq; 06-29-2014 at 09:35 PM.
miniq is online now  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
The Shockmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

gotta cross canelo off the list.....cause ive been listening to pactards...and apparently that wasnt real canelo....he took 5 mil from haymon to take it easy on floyd....so well scratch him off

how bout....kovalev....leo santa cruz...quillin to name a few
The Shockmaster is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

vCash: 75

Look in my eyezzzzzzx
What do ya seeee
I'm
The cult of overhypers
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
The Shockmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
Look in my eyezzzzzzx
What do ya seeee
I'm
The cult of overhypers
great tune
Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
CST80
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniq View Post
100%

The hype is real.

Pre-hypes:
Broner (omg the Flomo's all over him)
Provodnikov (wow he's a nice guy with great power and almost beat Bradley, surely he will go onto do big things!)

wasn't long ago...just a year before they were getting hyped. the fate of the current 'hypes' will be the same.

Cotto caught alot of hype with his victory over Martinez also...wasn't long ago Trout outpointed & thrustrated him...trout also lost to Canelo by just 1 point on my card (knockdown made the difference)
Martinez was shell of his former self, now Cotto will beat Canelo and GGG with ease.
I had Canelo Trout a draw on my card with the KD
CST80 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CST80 View Post
Martinez was shell of his former self, now Cotto will beat Canelo and GGG with ease.
miniq is online now  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
The Shockmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
ya thats cool if you believe that...i have no real beef with that

but then guys will turn around and say "omg cotto with roach??....floyd wants no part of the new cotto....hes scared"
Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
I've been following this site for a few years, joined last year and started posting last month, and the most troublesome trend that I see is the moment a lesser known fighter upsets a more well known fighter, or a C level fighter steps up and does well against an B level figter, this entire site goes apeshit and explodes with orgasmic joy bordering on giddiness about how we have just witnessed the birth of the Next Big Thing, and he's an unstoppable future All Time Great.
Boxing fans(or fans of any sport for that matter) will always celebrate a new fighter rising on the scene worth supporting and following. If you expect otherwise then watch something else.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
cslb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
Boxing fans(or fans of any sport for that matter) will always celebrate a new fighter rising on the scene worth supporting and following. If you expect otherwise then watch something else.
cslb is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shockmaster View Post
great tune

Thsnks
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
CST80
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar View Post
I've been a boxing fan for the last 30 years, since I was 4 years old, even before I understood the sport. I've seen alot of hyped up fighters come and go, and I get it, its fun to get excited and celebrate new fighters, but we have such a short attention span nowadays, because of the internet that fighters have become cool trends as long as they win.

Then when they lose the fans feel let down and as usual become fickle and turn on them leaving them out in the cold. It actually hurts the sport many fighters in the past had many losses yet are still considered great, now the moment anyone loses they are considered washed up and people don't want to see them anymore, because their illusion they have that their guy is unstoppable has been shattered and let them down, so they dump them.

Depriving the world of many potential great matches, losing is part of sports, people don't turn on the Yankees because they don't win the World Series one year.
CST80 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
Kid Cincinnati
GOOD BOY NATION
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

More condescending, please.
Kid Cincinnati is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #15
CST80
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cincinnati View Post
More condescending, please.
Okay maybe so, but will you still be a member of the Good Boy Nation when GGG loses.
CST80 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum