Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484
Default Re: Mcallister v Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
When I fought him I was ****ing fuming that they gave him the decision after flooring him twice and him having a point taken off. I hammered and outworked him most rounds but my one saving grace was boxing news would put the public straight after losing my unbeaten record. Pick up boxing news on friday and the silly cunt who writes his columns in the Aberdeen express has done the write up. I was heartbroken. I wrote a 4 page letter saying how ****ed off I was with boxing news and that their comments were slanderous and inaccurate and then wrote a letter personally to the writer of the article. He apoligised and said its how he saw the fight. I told him if he really thought that was what he saw he should never write about boxing again... I'm still waiting for my reply... 4 years later. Any day now.
I feel you man, my cousin was at the fight and said he left just before the decision to go the amusement park across the road because he was certain Lee had lost. Pretty bad.
Smith is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
When I fought him I was ****ing fuming that they gave him the decision after flooring him twice and him having a point taken off. I hammered and outworked him most rounds but my one saving grace was boxing news would put the public straight after losing my unbeaten record. Pick up boxing news on friday and the silly cunt who writes his columns in the Aberdeen express has done the write up. I was heartbroken. I wrote a 4 page letter saying how ****ed off I was with boxing news and that their comments were slanderous and inaccurate and then wrote a letter personally to the writer of the article. He apoligised and said its how he saw the fight. I told him if he really thought that was what he saw he should never write about boxing again... I'm still waiting for my reply... 4 years later. Any day now.

I am a big Boxing News fan and reader. I have been subscribing longer than I care to remember and love the new stuff they have been adding over the last year or so.

BUT. You are completely right sometimes they make a complete **** up of their post fight evaluation. Obviously I do not go to every fight card around Britain so I can not judge on every card they cover but you are not the first person to complain about certain individuals who do the write ups on fights.

At first I thought it was just sour grapes but after seeing several fights in person that the guy has made a **** up in analisys I had to change my mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on fights but sometimes it stinks...Some fighters get the extra privaledges in write ups that others do not.

Do not get me wrong the write ups are usualy very good but fights in certain area's where a local corespondant has supplied the fight info are sometimes misleading to say the least.

Anyway here's looking forward to reading your next write up in the legendary publication.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith
I feel you man, my cousin was at the fight and said he left just before the decision to go the amusement park across the road because he was certain Lee had lost. Pretty bad.
I love you......
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Im guessing, but I think its cos he fools the public up in Aberdeen that hes a genuine world champ, & as boxing isnt really big in Scotland most people wont know that the WBU belt isnt exactly legit shall we say.

Im sure I read someone on here saying this a while back.
Exactly right!

I have actualy heard people say he is the best fighter in the world at his weight being totaly sincere. unbelievable!

He is touted here as beig the man to beat Amir Kahn...i presume he will be the man to beat Hatton, and Witter now hes moving up....Mayweather maybe further down the line when he can fit him in.
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Can't make out from this thread if it is Gomez or McAllister that actually pulled out of their fight.
elle is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I live in aberdeen these days but dont come from there so cant really say if mccallister is well supported or not.

Anyways I went to get my ticket for the gomez fight a few weeks ago, it was at lee's family business, when i said i was there to pick up a ticket this young lad came up to me and said thanks and that he hoped i would have a good night.

Turned out it was Lee himself and despite what people have said about him he was a really genuine guy.

Cant comment on what others have said in this thread but I found him to be a decent lad and i hope he does well.
girv is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

For what its worth, I wish Lee all the best as a fellow scot. I have never seen him fight though, & to be honest i think Jeff Thomas is just bitter cos he got an ass whupping from a mad aberdonian!

aah just joking jeff I dont want you writing a letter of complaint to me!
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
Shrewd_dude
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Some funny stuff gets said by him and the Aberdeen press. Easy to see why some people get taken in by it. I know his aim is to try and sell tickets but some of its just completely detached from reality.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"It will be a big achievement to win two world titles at two different weights. This one is a bit more special due to the fact that Ricky Hatton previously held this title and no one has meet the criteria to fight for it until now

It is a big disappointment for me and the fans that the Gomez fight has not came off but this is a massive opportunity for me and the fans more history making"
Shrewd_dude is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #24
Dan MT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hi guys, first post but i've been reading this board for a while now.

Being from Aberdeen I think it's great Lee is bringing boxing to the north east. If it wasn't for him we would have no boxing here at all. Fair enough the WBU titles don't really mean much but hopefully he can get some exposure and get some bigger fights.

Totally gutted that he isn't fighting Gomez on the 29th and it seems a bit strange how the fight was cancelled.

Fingers crossed he can get a bigger lightweight fight up here in the north east as he has a really big following. I'd really like to see him fight Limond in his next fight.
Dan MT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum