Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default How did you get into Boxing?

Think it would be intresting to find out how we all fell in love with the Sport.

I have always enjoyed all Sports and was mainly into football, cricket and tennis until the age of 14,15 as they were the sports I played to a pretty decent standard. I followed all the big fighters like Hammed, Lewis, Collins, Bruno as we has Sky as soon as it came out and I remember watching Tyson bite Holyfields ear and staying up for Lewis vs Holyfield 1.

I started to become disalousaned with Football being a Spurs fan and English, always hearing about glory days but just seeing us play shit. I was lacking that feeling you get when you win a trophy thats just amazing, or when you loose a match that really matters. i jsut wasnt getting as we played shit football and won nothing, plus the English cricket team were doing awful, and Sampras was dominating tennis (I just didnt like him)

I Decided to buy Hammed vs Kelly on PPV (Behind my dads back) and I was jumping for joy when he won, i had that amazing feeling and buzz you get from winning, and from looseing that I wasn't getting from any other Sport.
I have followed boxing closley ever since, but new i was a true addict when I was travelling, 5,000 miles away and hadnt watched TV or heard a boxing result for over 2 months, and i was a bar in Thailand watching a tiny tv screen and i saw a news report showing me Danny Williams getting knocked out against Vitali Klitchsko, my heart just sank and i was in a bad mood for 3 days afterwards.
Hooked for life.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How did you get into Boxing?

Since watching Sunday morning highlights of Mike Tyson when he was in his prime. (I was about 8 years old).
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
D.Haye-no1-p4p
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The night Rahman knocked out Lewis with that right hand.

Been hooked ever since.

Football and boxing are pretty much even for me though.
D.Haye-no1-p4p is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
TFFP

vCash:

I actually can't remember, even though it wasn't that long ago. I always had a vague interest and would watch a fight when it was on, I can't recall when I became a hardcore fan

I pretty much like any sport, bowls and yank shite aside. Football, Union, Cricket, Boxing, Tennis. Darts for betting.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i used to watch those fights with Hagler,leonard, Eubank Benn - bruno naseem fights back in the 80s 90s & your right rob the talk back then was like the FA Cup - always exciting - ild even manage to get the tyson fights in a lock in pub when i was 18,19 which was brilliant. In recent years the hatton calzaghe phonemina has just been awesome & i managed last year to get to vegas & cardiff which was like being a kid again. its g8 to get onto a site like this & guess its like a hobby now to see whats going on in the boxing world - if youd have asked me who jeff thomas was year ago - ild go who!!!
steelem is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelem
- if youd have asked me who jeff thomas was year ago - ild go who!!!
cunt
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
We have had this topic before but anyway...

I got into boxing by watching Amir Khan at the olympics. As he was the only boxer for our country I decided to watch him and see how good he was and how far he could go. After that I began to follow boxing, going to some fights, buying Boxing news magazine..... infact it was the boxing news mag where I first saw Kell Brook. It was a full page featured article and the header was Better than Khan and it was saying how Brendan Ingle thinks hes better then Khan and how Johnny Nelson rates him. And the rest is history!
What was it like the first time you read about Kell?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Bruno - Tyson I in '89.

Big hype for that one here, so much so I got sucked into seeing what it was all about. Back in those days you could get those PPV-level bouts on normal tv in the UK, can't remember whether it was live though.

After that, I got interested in the whole scene and watched the domestic fighters like Gary Mason, Lewis, Eubank, Benn, Nicky Piper, Billy Schwer, Hamad, Robinson, Kirkland Lang...I even remember watching Holyfield vs Bowe II in '93 (and rooting for Holyfield all the way).

Then boxing got shuffled off ITV & BBC's schedules onto Sky, which our family couldn't afford, so that was it for several years. I still followed certain fighters like Lewis, but from newspaper reports and Teletext rather than being able to see his fights live.

Think it was round about 2000, 2001 when I was able to get back fully into boxing. Nowadays, with a Sky Box, a good tape trader, ITV boxing's resurgence and the Internet, I've got access to all the news and the bigger fights.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Weirdly it was Jack Dempsey, not a present day fighter, but someone who fought 60 years before I was born and who was dead at least 5 years before I started to be interested in Boxing.

He's my hero to this day
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
doggyland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ali / Spinks / Holmes / Norton / Conteh / Honeyghan / McGuigan / Sibson / Hagler...

Sitting on the arm of the couch with my Dad , Uncles , siblings and cousins and then re-enacting the good shots on my poor sister..

Fisher Club .

Saturday afternoon wrestling always bringing the debate on about how boxing wasn't fixed and not even 5 wrestlers could touch a proper boxer
doggyland is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
rusticraver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Nigel Benn is boxing to me
rusticraver is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have liked boxing for as long as I can remember, my dad always watched the fights on TV and I was always interested.

The first fight etched in my mind was Benn v McLellan, I watched it on my own as the rents were out somewhere. I remember going absolutley mental from the first bell to the tragic ending. Should have put me off really but I still remember just being happy that Benn ahd won.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
rusticraver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
I have liked boxing for as long as I can remember, my dad always watched the fights on TV and I was always interested.

The first fight etched in my mind was Benn v McLellan, I watched it on my own as the rents were out somewhere. I remember going absolutley mental from the first bell to the tragic ending. Should have put me off really but I still remember just being happy that Benn ahd won.
I hate the way Benns victory is overshadowed by the tragedy.

Benn won on heart alone. Phenomenal the punches those men took
rusticraver is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

My father is Bonecrusher Smith, my mother is Pinklon Thomas. The rest is history.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
dwilson

vCash:

My great grandad was into boxing and was a real local tough guy. Had muscles on muscles like a Yorkshire Van Damm and fought handily too. I always looked upto him even though he was already old by the time I came around. I enjoyed all the stories of his exploit's and so too my grandad who's a big man. As a kid I was always into sport and football imparticular but I always had time for boxing too when it was on.

I'm the type of person who when intersted in something jumps into it and reads and watches it non stop so after always having a passing interest in the sport I took it on full time a few years ago once I became pissed off with football (fans more than anything, I also coached junior football but got sick of the hassle and violence). I started off reading about the old guys, the legends and my love grew from their.

I'm gonna take my grandad to the next Barnsley or local show as a kind of thank you presant.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum