Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #31
robert80
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who should Ali have fought but didn't?

ali, fought norton 3 times right!!
robert80 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #32
tennis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Foreman could have got his rematch if he ever looked good again

Instead, once he got exposed as a 6 round fighter anyone who with an iron chin knew how to win

Ali fought norton 3 times

Mayweather ducked pacquiao 3 times

I think the Ali haters would make a case that Ali should have stayed in the game until 1986 to fight Tyson lol
tennis is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
ali, fought norton 3 times right!!
Correct, but the 3rd fight, (as I'm sure you know) with the HW championship on the line, was a highly controversial decision which in the eyes of many should heav been given to Norton. At the time, there was a HUGE demand for a fourth fight. After the fight, Norton was known as "the Uncrowned Champion".
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #34
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Rocky Marciano........
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #35
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Guys, it's not about whether or not Foreman could beat Ali, it was about who DESERVED the title shot the most. Ken Norton was deemed number one contender in 1976, based on a win streak over a bunch of has-beens and never-weres. I love Norton, but Foreman had just decimated Frazier and Lyle and clearly was number 1 contender. He was passed over. The guy who gets the shot should be the one who deserves it, not the one who has the best chance of winning. That's not how it works.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #36
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Voltage View Post
Guys, it's not about whether or not Foreman could beat Ali, it was about who DESERVED the title shot the most. Ken Norton was deemed number one contender in 1976, based on a win streak over a bunch of has-beens and never-weres. I love Norton, but Foreman had just decimated Frazier and Lyle and clearly was number 1 contender. He was passed over. The guy who gets the shot should be the one who deserves it, not the one who has the best chance of winning. That's not how it works.
But then why would Ali face Norton, a guy he clearly struggled with when he could have fought Foreman? a guy he most likely would have toyed with
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #37
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHands(beeb) View Post
Correct, but the 3rd fight, (as I'm sure you know) with the HW championship on the line, was a highly controversial decision which in the eyes of many should heav been given to Norton. At the time, there was a HUGE demand for a fourth fight. After the fight, Norton was known as "the Uncrowned Champion".

Speaking as an out and out Ali fan,I admit Muhammad was lucky in getting the decision in his third fight with Ken. Norton won that one by three points in my estimation but it always pisses me off when some insist that Norton was robbed in their second bout. That one was the best out of their trilogy in my opinion. It could have gone either way but any time I watch it,I always score it for Ali by one to two points.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #38
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali never "toyed" with George Foreman. That fight was not one-sided. Ali was roughed up pretty well in there. It is hard for me to picture the 1976/77 Ali "toying" with George. I think it's actually quite debatable as to who was more spent at that time, Ali or Foreman. I can fully understand anyone laying their money on Muhammad in the rematch, but I find it really hard to picture him duplicating his feat in the first fight, in the same fashion. None of Ali's post-Manila defenses were impressive. To see him as such an automatic victor over a killer like Foreman is absurd.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #39
SILVER SKULL 66
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Then Jimmy Young shoud have fought Ali, he was next since he beat George..
SILVER SKULL 66 is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #40
SILVER SKULL 66
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ali never "toyed" with George Foreman. That fight was not one-sided. Ali was roughed up pretty well in there. It is hard for me to picture the 1976/77 Ali "toying" with George. I think it's actually quite debatable as to who was more spent at that time, Ali or Foreman. I can fully understand anyone laying their money on Muhammad in the rematch, but I find it really hard to picture him duplicating his feat in the first fight, in the same fashion. None of Ali's post-Manila defenses were impressive. To see him as such an automatic victor over a killer like Foreman is absurd.
Ali was never even seriously hurt in the Zaire fight and was feeling good enough to go jogging the day after the fight, he was far from being roughed up, and he actually took it easy on George, watch the Ko again when GF was going down, Ali could have knocked his ass cold with an uppercut but held back, something i doubt GF would have done had the situation been reversed...
You could tell by Foremans body language walking back to the corner that he was a beaten man...
And it's not hard at all to imagine Ali duplicating another Ko of GF, especially after watching Young out boxing GF in 77..
Another thing, Ali had Joe to deal with in 75-Norton in 76, that's what champions do fight rematches with the guy's that gave you your toughest fights, Foreman had to get back in line so the only time he could have rematched GF again was 77 , but Young already beat him so that was that...
I don't even remember GF calling out Ali for another match after Zaire if he would've given Ali a more competitive fight he would hav been taken more seriously...
SILVER SKULL 66 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #41
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
But then why would Ali face Norton, a guy he clearly struggled with when he could have fought Foreman? a guy he most likely would have toyed with
Easy.
1) he wanted to win the trifecta with Norton which IMO he didn't.
2) after getting the venue, the hype, the prime time, the loose ropes (don't discount that) etc. as well as pissing blood after George, he simply went by the new boxing rule at the time unlike the past that said "if I beat 'em once that's all it takes. "Toyed with him?"
Ali didn't want George again and IMO Ali is the greatest HW of all time. It's just that his second career, in some ways, was a scam.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #42
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
Easy.
2) after getting the venue,
Was Foreman forced to fight there? he went there of his own will
and secondly, how did the venue only affect Foreman and not Ali?

Quote:
the hype,
Not Alis fault if Foreman turns up in an african country parading around with a dog which most people found offensive.

Quote:
the loose ropes (don't discount that) etc.
Loose ropes or not, there was no way Foreman could beat Ali.as well as pissing blood after George, he simply went by the new boxing rule at the time unlike the past that said "if I beat 'em once that's all it takes. "Toyed with him?"
Ali knocked him the **** out. Nobody else did that, that speaks volumes about Alis win. Just like Garcia knocked Khan the **** out, if Khan wants a rematch he needs to work his way up.

Quote:
Ali didn't want George again and IMO Ali is the greatest HW of all time. It's just that his second career, in some ways, was a scam.
Scam? now i've heard everything
Ali beat Foreman, Foreman did sweet **** all after that to warrant a rematch with Ali. he lost to Young, and because he was such a mental baby, he retired

Had they fought again Ali would have TOYED with Foreman.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #43
BrutalForeman
Journeyman

Ok lets all get something straight here. Ali vs Foreman was a fluke. Had Ali been stupid enough to give George a rematch, George would have KO'd him like a locomotive vs. a Geo Metro.
BrutalForeman is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #44
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalForeman View Post
Ok lets all get something straight here. Ali vs Foreman was a fluke. Had Ali been stupid enough to give George a rematch, George would have KO'd him like a locomotive vs. a Geo Metro.
How is it a fluke? Ali knocked him the **** out.

Foreman had the opportunity to KO Ali when Foreman was at his absolute best, he couldnt do it

No way was a mentally broken Foreman going to do it in a rematch, not when he struggled with Lyle and Young.

I dont see any improvements from Foreman post Rumble, only a guy with glaring mental weakness who'd lost complete confidence in himself and snapped when he took another loss and so he quit and claimed he'd found God.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #45
BrutalForeman
Journeyman

Ali was a shell of himself 1975+. Think he could have sustained Foremans clubbing shots for more than a few rounds?

The first fight, Foreman was mismanaged big time. All credit to Ali, he was the king of mental games, but Foreman could have chipped away at him and waited to knock his head off his shoulders in the later rounds.

If Foreman had a smart, savy trainer from the start he would have retired undefeated in the early 80s, and Ali would be remembered as Floyd Patterson with a good chin.
BrutalForeman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum