Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default i have a problem with boxing fans.

first off lets talk about that 0 in the loss column that you fans love ohhh so much. i dont understand this new concept that 0 makes you elite. in my opinion it doesnt. 0 means you havnt learned from any mistakes yet. When a fighter loses like Vic Darchinyian this weekend you fake ass fans automatically write him off as a bum. you dont consider he might have had a bad night, or the fact that he can easily come back from this and become better. losses are just learning experiences especially for fighters. back in the day, the guys we consider great, lost alllll the time and no one cared. its this new generation of fans that are ****ing up the sport.

ill type more later, my hands hurt.
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: i have a problem with boxing fans.

I think all boxers need a taste of humble pie ..It can prove them to be better fighters an better champions in the long run ..
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1
I think all boxers need a taste of humble pie ..It can prove them to be better fighters an better champions in the long run ..
i agree 100%.

theres no reason to dismiss a fighter after 1 loss. not just vic darchynian, the worst is when these so called EXPERTS or "fans" dismiss a young prospect after 1 loss and totlaly forget about them. or a young contender. losses arent the end of the world. look at Paulie Malignaggi.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
peter5
Marco.A.Barrera
ESB Addict

vCash: 1562

I agree, a loss doesnt mean your shit, it means your testing yourself, or like you said, had a bad night at the office! its ho you come back from that loss that makes you the fighter people remember, Barrera, he came back from the two losses to junior jones, and then had the controversial loss (i thought he won) to Morales, yet he comes back, fights the best and hes an all time great, if more fighters were like Barrera, the sport would be in a lot better condition.
peter5 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Mook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

There's some truth in this, but the difference from back in the day is that fighters don't fight often enough - everyy fight is therefore that much bigger, every loss that much more hurtful.

Also, there is a greatness to learning from your mistakes. Lennox lost to mcCall, a boxer he was clearly superior to, but he was so determined to salvage his career and make the most of his talent that he improved his footwork and awkward combination punching. that took a lot of character, and a lot of boxing greatness.
Mook is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
K0NPHL1C7
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Some fighters can learn from the mistakes while still in the fight though, and those fighters are the elite. Floyd Mayweather Jr. has made plenty of mistakes, but has overcome them before it was to late, and come out victorious. The next fight, he doesn't make that mistake any more.

I still love Vic, but I have always known he wasn't the best fighter. I just like the way he stalks all slow like Jayson Vorhese. I doubt he will learn fromt hat, he will still throw wild haymakers, he will never be a boxer, and will always leave himself open for that. But I still like him.
K0NPHL1C7 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook
There's some truth in this, but the difference from back in the day is that fighters don't fight often enough - everyy fight is therefore that much bigger, every loss that much more hurtful.

Also, there is a greatness to learning from your mistakes. Lennox lost to mcCall, a boxer he was clearly superior to, but he was so determined to salvage his career and make the most of his talent that he improved his footwork and awkward combination punching. that took a lot of character, and a lot of boxing greatness.
theres truth to that statement i agree.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

and it's how a fighter comes back from a loss which defines their greatness. leonard, hearns, duran all had losses. yet they eventually won titles in other weights.

let's see if Vic doesn't go the hamed way, he got his ass handed to him, instead of seeking redemption, he walked away.

as of press time, darchinyan is expressing a move up to 115.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Mook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0NPHL1C7
Some fighters can learn from the mistakes while still in the fight though, and those fighters are the elite. Floyd Mayweather Jr. has made plenty of mistakes, but has overcome them before it was to late, and come out victorious. The next fight, he doesn't make that mistake any more.

I still love Vic, but I have always known he wasn't the best fighter. I just like the way he stalks all slow like Jayson Vorhese. I doubt he will learn fromt hat, he will still throw wild haymakers, he will never be a boxer, and will always leave himself open for that. But I still like him.
Yes, this ability to adapt is pbf's most remarkable facet. against odlh and judah he really struggled early on, the dominated judah, and i would argue nicked it from odlh (i had pbf by two rounds). That's a superb ability - and why fighters need two or three fight plans vs pbf. i've always wondered whether pbf's opponents should have three rounds of one plan a, three of plan b, three of c, and 3 of d. it normally takes him that long to adapt against the very best, and if you changed before he adapted, pbf wouldn't get into a groove. a bit simplistic, i guess.
Mook is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Definitely not your record, but your level of opposition. As far as Darchinian, if he continues to fight like he did last weekend, he will be just a bum, he showed nothing in the way of boxing ability, just an ability to throw big wide open power shots. Jeff Lacey did the same thing, and he got his ass handed to him by a technically sound fighter.
Best established undefeated fighter Floyd Mayweather
Best young undefeated fighter Miguel Cotto
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknick56
first off lets talk about that 0 in the loss column that you fans love ohhh so much. i dont understand this new concept that 0 makes you elite. in my opinion it doesnt. 0 means you havnt learned from any mistakes yet. When a fighter loses like Vic Darchinyian this weekend you fake ass fans automatically write him off as a bum. you dont consider he might have had a bad night, or the fact that he can easily come back from this and become better. losses are just learning experiences especially for fighters. back in the day, the guys we consider great, lost alllll the time and no one cared. its this new generation of fans that are ****ing up the sport.

It isn't the fans. Fans cannot think for themselves. It is the promoters and the media which are a problem.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
K0NPHL1C7
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What sucks is regardless of the fighter, if he is undefeated he is "untested" in the eyes of most. They start discrediting his oposition and looking for reasons to hate.
K0NPHL1C7 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Mook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0NPHL1C7
What sucks is regardless of the fighter, if he is undefeated he is "untested" in the eyes of most. They start discrediting his oposition and looking for reasons to hate.
Yeah, credit where it's due with pbf. he's beaten excellent fighters - i don't think he's anywhere near unbeatable, but the fact he's unbeaten against the opposition he's faced is pretty impressive. I mean, I believe that KT would have eaten him and that hatton will beat him, but you can't deny that most great boxers would have lost to at least one of the foes in pbf's w column. very impressive - and if he lost it shouldn't matter (but probably will, unfortunately), soa he has still beaten an amazing set of fighters.
Mook is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #14
charlievint
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

"0" in boxer don't mean much at all...It looks good and helps when a fighter FINALLY reaches a level that is considered Top 10 or even ELITE...but "0" are common in boxing from promoters and handlers babying their fighters by feeding them boxers with less than a pulse.

Vic is a good fighter...is he the best or ELITE...NO. He's very strong and intimidating which is why he had a lot of early success agasint boxers FAAAAAAR better than him in overall skills and boxing ability.

He's a crowd pleasing brawler with ALOT of power. I'm not sure why his power didn't do well agaisnt Nonito but he look REALLY small last Saturday.

The point is, Vic's a limited boxer with tremendous POWER that allowed him to do as well as he did. He got a reality check that his Chin isn't on the level of his power and needs to implement much needed DEFENSE if he wants to get his title back or KEEP it.

Vic can win anther title on his Power alone, but some boxer will not be scared of him and take advantage of his lack of defense, which was the case agaisnt nonito.
charlievint is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
ryanty22
VRWC Sledgehammer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

that is so true look at B-Hop. every loss even if it was a robbery decision like THREE that i can think of made him that much better and that much harder to beat B-Hop=ATG even with 4 losses on his record

Last edited by lawton; 03-01-2006 at 08:21 PM.
ryanty22 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum