Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #61
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Boxing news article about james j jeffries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
I did say Jackson was in shape, and his people said his form was good. Papers says this. .
Here's some more of what the papers say.

The San Francisco Call
Headline: Dissipation and Jeffries down Jackson
"It was a well known fact that Jackson was a physical and financial wreck when he arrived in this city from England...the result of his love for strong liquor."
The paper goes on to criticise the match and the athletic club for making it, putting Jackson's life at risk in doing so.
It also publishes the doctor's remarks that he was passed fit to fight and looked good.

Arizona Republican
Headline: There was only a trace of the old-time cleverness which had won him battles in opposite corners of the globe.

LA HERALD
Headline: Peter is a sure enough has-been.

He was done.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #62
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=Mendoza;16304499]You see, you put words in my mouth and lie. I don't think Jackson was at his best. SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT LIAR.

I did say Jackson was in shape, and his people said his form was good. Papers says this. Furthermore Jackson was lively in round one. The fight changed when Jackson could not take Jeffries hook. Stamina or lack there of had little to do with the result.

I think Johnson meet the worst version of Jeffries, when he was at his best.

The fight if you watch the films was close at times until the later rounds when Jeffries tired. If it were six rounds, you could score a draw as Jeffries was the more active in the first four rounds, and drew first blood.[/quote]
This is from a site called The Australian Biography.
"After 1892 Jackson was unable to obtain fights.Past his prime,he was debiliated by fast living and probably even then tubercular.He taught boxing ,worked as a publican,toured as an actor in Uncle Tom,s Cabin,and boxed exhibitions.In March 1898,he was sacrificed to Jim Jeffries,who flattened him in 3 rds,and next year he suffered the 3rd of his losses in 37 fights,at the hands of a 4th rater in Vancouver.Money was raised to send him to Australia,where he toured with Fitzgeralds Circus,but was too ill to box."
This piece is an extract from Nat Fleischer's "Black Dynamite".
"Regarded as the greatest boxer of his era, Jackson had met ,in Corbett,his equal,at least in cleverness.Those who witnessed the affair,were unanimous on two points,.Corbett was a far greater fighter than the American public had credited him with being,and that , Peter Jackson,had passed the meridian of his fighting days,success had gone to Peter,s brain,he had been living the life that an athlete could not afford to go through,without injury to his body."

I took this from Boxing Scene..
" Jackson stopped Jem Smith in 2 rds for the British Empire Championship,after this, in ,1892 he fought Frank Slavin,stopping him in 10rds,during this fight,however ,he suffered 2 broken ribs,which punctured his lung,this led to his tuberculosis."
This and McGrain's post tell the story.

WHen he faced Jeffries.
Jackson was 37 and had not been in a ring for 3 years when he was involved in a debacle with 2-3-1 Gustav Wilkie which was called a no contest

.His most recent fight prior to that was in 1892 against 11-15-12 Denny Kelliher.Jackson was an incurable alcoholic and probably tubercular when he went into that ring , he did it for the money as he was an undischarged bankrupt.
How anyone could assess his"form " and pronounce it "good" is mystifying because he had not been in a proper boxing contest for 6 YEARS.You are so obviously desperate to build up Jeffries prowess that you seize on the most empty victories to do so.

Jeffries was a hollow shell when he faced Johnson,and Jackson was a walking corpse when he faced Jeffries,3 years later he would be dead.Deal with it!
NB Jeffries was credited with one round in his effort against Johnson.Ive posted the round by round many times and see no reason to do so again because you will just ignore it.

Johnson went into the ring in Reno with a cut lip caused by a butt in sparring with Kid Cotton it is well known and I've also posted the facts about it several times but you keep saying Jeffries cut him, no matter, it's not as though anyone actually gives you any credence anyway.

The underlined parts of you post are unintentionally hilarious, so hilarious I've posted them again.Thanks for the laugh I'm a bit hungover this morning,[ I went to a wake yesterday.]
You've cheered me up .

Last edited by mcvey; 06-10-2014 at 04:43 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #63
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Here's some more of what the papers say.

The San Francisco Call
Headline: Dissipation and Jeffries down Jackson
"It was a well known fact that Jackson was a physical and financial wreck when he arrived in this city from England...the result of his love for strong liquor."
The paper goes on to criticise the match and the athletic club for making it, putting Jackson's life at risk in doing so.
It also publishes the doctor's remarks that he was passed fit to fight and looked good.

Arizona Republican
Headline: There was only a trace of the old-time cleverness which had won him battles in opposite corners of the globe.

LA HERALD
Headline: Peter is a sure enough has-been.

He was done.

What news papers say after an older fighter losses often contradicts what they say before. Much depends if they win. I have posted primary stuff here leading up the fight, and none of the doom and gloom was there.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #64
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
What news papers say after an older fighter losses often contradicts what they say before. Much depends if they win. I have posted primary stuff here leading up the fight, and none of the doom and gloom was there.
When did you EVER post PRIMARY SOURCE?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #65
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
What news papers say after an older fighter losses often contradicts what they say before.
Right. Because they've seen him fight.

Literally any old alcoholic can get knocked into "good shape" by a team with enough time. But fighting shape was clearly beyond Jackson's reach.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #66
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Right. Because they've seen him fight.

Literally any old alcoholic can get knocked into "good shape" by a team with enough time. But fighting shape was clearly beyond Jackson's reach.
The Mayo Clinic said Ali was in good shape.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum