Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #76
assasin
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

and people say the General forum is a crazy place.

i'm laughing really hard at most of these posts. especially at Mongoose.

Chris Byrd??? against Lennox Lewis??? you'd have to be knee deep in crack to even remotely come close to picking Chris Byrd to last more than 3-4 rounds.

shut this place down. it's full of ****ing idiots.
assasin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #77
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin View Post
and people say the General forum is a crazy place.

i'm laughing really hard at most of these posts. especially at Mongoose.

Chris Byrd??? against Lennox Lewis??? you'd have to be knee deep in crack to even remotely come close to picking Chris Byrd to last more than 3-4 rounds.

shut this place down. it's full of ****ing idiots.
Words cannot express how deeply hurt I am that you disagree with my take on a fantasy fight.


Thank you for your contribution. So for the record, its safe to say thus far that most of the people picking Lewis to destroy Byrd easily are butt hurt 12 year olds? or grown ass men that act like butt hurt 12 year olds?
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #78
heizenberg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

If you ask me Lennox handles Byrd no problem. Byrd doesn't have a good enough offense to beat Lennox. i'm sure Byrd would use his defensive skills and try to peck away at Lennox. But Lennox was a good accurate puncher and when he hit you, he'd hurt you. I see Lennox landing the much more effective shot mostly behind the jab which I could see pushing Byrd back leading to him winning most(or all) of the rounds. Eventually this would take its toll on Byrd and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get dropped a number of times on route to a mid to late round stoppage win for Lewis.
heizenberg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #79
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
1. Irrelevant argument of semantics.

2. It's over 8 million and says "in excess" The estimates are supposedly how much Lewis stood to make. 10 million seems to be the figure thrown out in the states.

"If I'm such an easy fight than knock me out and make $10 million"-Chris Byrd

3. Considering he was willing to fight Johnson for much less than that, I don't see any reason to value that quote.

4. I've already provided a quote where Lewis' own lawyer said he sold ice in the winter. He had no intention of fighting Byrd.

5. Ok.

6. Make an offer? Byrd and King took Lewis to court to secure a fight with him and won. But once it was clear Lewis wasn't going to honor the agreement, King sped up the inevitable to get the Byrd/Holyfield fight together to make the Dec. 8 date and put his tournament together.

Because the matter is the subject of ongoing litigation, Holyfield will be forced to make his decision fairly quickly as Byrd is entitled to fight for the IBF belt by December 8. "There's no timetable at this minute, but I don't want Chris Byrd to be penalized by having to wait much longer," said IBF attorney Linda Torres. "We have to start moving quickly to get Chris his title shot." Torres added that she planned to confer with IBF president Marian Muhammad after she arrived in Portland, Oregon, where Roy Jones will defend his light heavyweight championship this weekend. Holyfield expressed a preference not to face Byrd during his post-fight interview after defeating Hasim Rahman. However, Holyfield has never been known to shrink from a challenge and he has consistently stated that his goal is to unify the heavyweight titles before he retires. (Fightnews)


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Word is Lewis accepted $1 million from King to give up his International Boxing Federation belt because he wanted no part of Byrd, a slippery southpaw capable of making him look clumsy.

This is business as usual in the not-so-credible fight game. Rather than taking on the mandatory IBF challenge, Lewis will sit ringside Saturday night for the title fight on HBO between Byrd and four-time champion

If you believe King, and we’ll leave that to your discretion, the IBF champ gets the winner of John Ruiz-Roy Jones Jr., with the winner of that being sold the promise of a title unification bout against Lewis next summer
Evander Holyfield

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


7. Byrd wasn't the IBF Champion.

8. You said the poll didn't exist. I have shown you existed, so it suddenly becomes irrelevant to you. That's fitting.

9. "As I have recently stated, the world has yet to see the best of Lennox Lewis." Doesn't sound like he was ready to retire and he didn't.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

10. Because they were both regarded as top 10 fighters and were finalists in the IBF tournament. Byrd was RING #2 behind Wlad, who was still taking baby steps. Nobody was more deserving. And its hypocritical when most of Lewis' other opponents weren't coming off as good a win.

-Than Grant did nothing more than Byrd, and I would still argue Tua over Golota.

-Inactive for Byrd? He fought Nicholson 5 months prior and Lewis just 5 months prior to that one. That's regular activity.

-Tua earned the Lewis fight with a win over Obed Sullivan.

-So? Byrd beat Vitali and Tua. That trumps Sanders and losing to Tua.
No it's not semantics you were lying, there was no offer of 10 million for Lennox to fight Byrd, the whole situation was reliant on Lennox's management brokering any deal and King and Byrd were more than happy to make money off the IBF with their fixed fights.

Again WHERE IS THIS 10 MILLION POUND OFFER?? It doesn't exist. The paper you provided speculated how much a fight maybe worth.

There's no evidence HBO would pay more for Lennox to face Byrd than Johnson. Maybe Johnson took less than Byrd or maybe King wanted Byrd not to fight Lennox.

Selling ice in the winter shows they were happy to be paid by Byrd's manager not to fight Byrd. WHY DID KING PAY LENNOX 1 MILLION NOT TO FIGHT BYRD? Byrd could have waited for Lennox to be stripped so why pay a cool million instead? Maybe Lennox was open to taking the fight but King saw more money in milking the IBF belt because as soon as Byrd taking the small money against Lennox loses, that's the end of him headlining any fights.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #80
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
-Than Grant did nothing more than Byrd, and I would still argue Tua over Golota.
.
You'd have a case but Byrd couldn't legitimately beat an older Golota and hence I don't see how he had a chance against a much quicker Lewis better in every facet

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #81
Big Ukrainian
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 652
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

PowerPuncher, of course Lennox would have beaten Byrd, but you can't say Byrd was less deserving title shot than some others. He was top-contender, he clearly beat Tua, who came at 233 lbs (that's 12 lbs lighter than vs Lewis), he got a W over 27-0 (27 KO) Vitali Klitschko. He also beat some good fighters Mo Harris, Castillo, Jimmy Thunder, Bert Cooper, Ross Puritty. He was former WBO champion.

Byrd was much more deserving title shot than Botha or Rahman for sure. Grant was also exposed and dominated by Golota. Mavrovic was a joke (best win - Julius Francis). Briggs before Lewis had 1 quality win - highly controversial decision over 49-y.o. George Foreman.
Big Ukrainian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #82
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
No it's not semantics you were lying, there was no offer of 10 million for Lennox to fight Byrd, the whole situation was reliant on Lennox's management brokering any deal and King and Byrd were more than happy to make money off the IBF with their fixed fights.

Again WHERE IS THIS 10 MILLION POUND OFFER?? It doesn't exist. The paper you provided speculated how much a fight maybe worth.

There's no evidence HBO would pay more for Lennox to face Byrd than Johnson. Maybe Johnson took less than Byrd or maybe King wanted Byrd not to fight Lennox.

Selling ice in the winter shows they were happy to be paid by Byrd's manager not to fight Byrd. WHY DID KING PAY LENNOX 1 MILLION NOT TO FIGHT BYRD? Byrd could have waited for Lennox to be stripped so why pay a cool million instead? Maybe Lennox was open to taking the fight but King saw more money in milking the IBF belt because as soon as Byrd taking the small money against Lennox loses, that's the end of him headlining any fights.

-Ok, what Byrd fights were fixed? Should I call you a liar if you can't provide evidence?

-The Telegraph reported an excess of 5 million pounds. 5 milliion pounds is almost 9 million in US dollars, give or take. The 10 million dollar figure was being reported and also thrown around by Byrd and his camp, as I've posted.

-Here's a source that uses an 8 million figure. So lets say Lewis opted out of an 8 million dollar fight with Byrd. My intention was not to claim Byrd literally offered Lewis that amount of money, the fight didn't make it that far and was supposedly heading into purse bid. My intention was to say that Lewis walked away from a fight with Byrd that was potentionally worth that much to him. There didn't have to be an offer to make that statement, he was legally obligated to make the fight, he choice not to.

The ultra likeable Chris Byrd, even holding aloft his IBF belt, remains the most undesirable night of work for any of the top heavyweights. Lewis opted out of an eight million dollar night with Byrd.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now lets let this semantic argument go to bed, or you can continue screaming liar like lunatic when it was obvious what I saying, Your choice.


-10 million pounds would be like 20 million US dollars. We know Lewis didn't get paid that much against Johnson. Lewis purse split with Johnson was not publically released. Chances are it was not a huge figure and the fight was not selling well as I've posted. When questioned Lewis said he didn't care what he was paid.

Promoters have not disclosed the size of the purse for the fight and Lewis showed little interest when questioned about his potential earnings.
"I don't really think about money anymore," Lewis said.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


-That's your spin. As the article explained, its was because Lewis never had any intentions of defending the belt, they were selling something they were going to throw away anyway. As the other articles explained, If Lewis wasn't going to fight Byrd, there was a need to get Byrd/Holyfield rolling to meet the court ordered timeline. I don't tihnk Lewis was obligated to be stripped of his belt until October, which would have made the staging of a December fight difficult. I can dig up the article on the October deadline if you want to call me a liar again.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 06-11-2014 at 11:47 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #83
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You'd have a case but Byrd couldn't legitimately beat an older Golota and hence I don't see how he had a chance against a much quicker Lewis better in every facet

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Byrd was 33 when he faced Golota. He was a reflex and speed depended fighter that was slowing down and supposedly took Golota lightly. This was two years after the proposed Lewis meeting of the thread's subject.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #84
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Man View Post
Exactly PowerPuncher. A guy that basically fought to draws with guys that Lewis demolished.

Chris Byrd, the southpaw boxer that Don King paid step aside to money so that he could manufacture a fight with Tyson, yeah that guy is gonna beat Lennox Lewis... Right.

Vitali was hurt by Byrd was he, ha! Byrd was flapping all over the place trying to get away. I don't think he was caning him or anything but Vitali was clearly batting him around. I think you should watch the fight again and listen. Everybody was in disbelief that he quit so far ahead. The commentators words were "way WAY ahead".

Vitali could have gone out there, played defence and won the fight without having to throw another single shot. It's all there, watch, listen and learn.

What is wrong with some of you people. Just because it's a boxing board doesn't mean everybody has to be stupid.
-Byrd would have demolished the Golota that Lewis faced as well. It was well documented the idiot had took an illegal pain injection to fight with an injured knee only to have a reaction that nearly killed him.

Golota was injected with lidocaine, a powerful painkiller, before the bout in an attempt to stave off knee pain.
After the bout, Golota had a seizure and required resuscitation on the way to the hospital.
Golota was fined $5,000 for allowing the lidocaine injection.
Golota filed a $21 million lawsuit against the doctor who administered the shot. The case was settled out of court for around $1 million

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

-You are just parroting Power Puncher's claims here. Ok.

-Vitali was hurt. His shoulder required surgery, as did Holyfield when he tore up his shoulder trying to jab Byrd. If you mean, punches? Yes. Byrd's straight left got Vitali's attention a few times. Byrd won the 8th round and had Vitali backpadling from straight left shots. Byrd hurt Tua as well. He wasn't going to knock anybody out but he wasn't incapable of hurting fighters either.

-That's your speculation. But the last round, Vitali was not doing well. Byrd was pressuring him and scoring with left hands to the face. I suggest you watch the actoin instead of listening to the commentary. Vitali was ahead on points because he was volume punching but he was not landing much clean, the entire fight, and spent the last few rounds on his bicycle while Byrd pressed.

-Again, the personal insults becaues you can't handle an argument. I must ask why is Power Puncher the only guy here that isn't acting like a butt hurt 12 year old? He is actually pushing me on my claims and sources, and I appreciate that. But the dismissive and immature name calling is not doing your side of the argument any favors.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #85
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ukrainian View Post
PowerPuncher, of course Lennox would have beaten Byrd, but you can't say Byrd was less deserving title shot than some others. He was top-contender, he clearly beat Tua, who came at 233 lbs (that's 12 lbs lighter than vs Lewis), he got a W over 27-0 (27 KO) Vitali Klitschko. He also beat some good fighters Mo Harris, Castillo, Jimmy Thunder, Bert Cooper, Ross Puritty. He was former WBO champion.

Byrd was much more deserving title shot than Botha or Rahman for sure. Grant was also exposed and dominated by Golota. Mavrovic was a joke (best win - Julius Francis). Briggs before Lewis had 1 quality win - highly controversial decision over 49-y.o. George Foreman.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #86
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
1. Ok, what Byrd fights were fixed? Should I call you a liar if you can't provide evidence?

2. -The Telegraph reported an excess of 5 million pounds. 5 milliion pounds is almost 9 million in US dollars, give or take. The 10 million dollar figure was being reported and also thrown around by Byrd and his camp, as I've posted.

3. -Here's a source that uses an 8 million figure. So lets say Lewis opted out of an 8 million dollar fight with Byrd. My intention was not to claim Byrd literally offered Lewis that amount of money, the fight didn't make it that far and was supposedly heading into purse bid. My intention was to say that Lewis walked away from a fight with Byrd that was potentionally worth that much to him. There didn't have to be an offer to make that statement, he was legally obligated to make the fight, he choice not to.

The ultra likeable Chris Byrd, even holding aloft his IBF belt, remains the most undesirable night of work for any of the top heavyweights. Lewis opted out of an eight million dollar night with Byrd.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now lets let this semantic argument go to bed, or you can continue screaming liar like lunatic when it was obvious what I saying, Your choice.


-10 million pounds would be like 20 million US dollars. We know Lewis didn't get paid that much against Johnson. Lewis purse split with Johnson was not publically released. Chances are it was not a huge figure and the fight was not selling well as I've posted. When questioned Lewis said he didn't care what he was paid.

Promoters have not disclosed the size of the purse for the fight and Lewis showed little interest when questioned about his potential earnings.
"I don't really think about money anymore," Lewis said.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


4. -That's your spin. As the article explained, its was because Lewis never had any intentions of defending the belt, they were selling something they were going to throw away anyway. As the other articles explained, If Lewis wasn't going to fight Byrd, there was a need to get Byrd/Holyfield rolling to meet the court ordered timeline. I don't tihnk Lewis was obligated to be stripped of his belt until October, which would have made the staging of a December fight difficult. I can dig up the article on the October deadline if you want to call me a liar again.
1. Judges wined and dined for the Golota and Oquendo fights for sure.

2. It's speculation of what he could earn but not something he's been offered. And the exchange rate at the time I seem to remember was 1.6, 5 would be around 7.5m.
Again there's no money offered to Lennox, no evidence Don King or HBO offered more money for a Byrd fight than a Johnson fight.

I'LL ASK AGAIN, WHY DID DON KING PAY LEWIS 1 MILLION AND AN SUV IF LEWIS WOULD HAVE TO VACATE ANYWAY? DOES DON LIKE GIVING AWAY MONEY NOW?

3. That's more like a valid source, but who says Lewis turned down any money to fight Byrd? Don King perhaps? How much do you trust Uncle Don? It still doesn't say where the 8 million is coming from. It isn't coming from a PPV, unless you can find evidence HBO offered more for a Byrd fight your contention is flawed.

I read all these articles your posting after doing a few google searches to make sure I wasn't wrong. 1 thing I did find regarding 10 million is Lewis seemed to be asking for a minimum 10 million per fight and you're right I don't think he earned close to that against Johnson but I do think that was a tune for a Tyson rematch or Wlad Klitschko bout. But it was all about another Tyson PPV and another 20m for Lewis at this stage.

4. I'm offering other possibilities to what may have happened in negotiations that neither of us actually witnessed. Why did Don King pay Lewis 1 million if he wanted him to fight Byrd? Why not force the stripping of the IBF belt? Let's remember Lewis didn't walk away from this fight until Don paid him the 1 million.

And if Don King wanted Byrd to fight the best, why no fight with either Klitschko until he was past it and cashing out in a big money mandatory?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #87
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,535
vCash: 258
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Chris Byrd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
1. Judges wined and dined for the Golota and Oquendo fights for sure.

2. It's speculation of what he could earn but not something he's been offered. And the exchange rate at the time I seem to remember was 1.6, 5 would be around 7.5m.
Again there's no money offered to Lennox, no evidence Don King or HBO offered more money for a Byrd fight than a Johnson fight.

I'LL ASK AGAIN, WHY DID DON KING PAY LEWIS 1 MILLION AND AN SUV IF LEWIS WOULD HAVE TO VACATE ANYWAY? DOES DON LIKE GIVING AWAY MONEY NOW?

3. That's more like a valid source, but who says Lewis turned down any money to fight Byrd? Don King perhaps? How much do you trust Uncle Don? It still doesn't say where the 8 million is coming from. It isn't coming from a PPV, unless you can find evidence HBO offered more for a Byrd fight your contention is flawed.

I read all these articles your posting after doing a few google searches to make sure I wasn't wrong. 1 thing I did find regarding 10 million is Lewis seemed to be asking for a minimum 10 million per fight and you're right I don't think he earned close to that against Johnson but I do think that was a tune for a Tyson rematch or Wlad Klitschko bout. But it was all about another Tyson PPV and another 20m for Lewis at this stage.

4. I'm offering other possibilities to what may have happened in negotiations that neither of us actually witnessed. Why did Don King pay Lewis 1 million if he wanted him to fight Byrd? Why not force the stripping of the IBF belt? Let's remember Lewis didn't walk away from this fight until Don paid him the 1 million.

And if Don King wanted Byrd to fight the best, why no fight with either Klitschko until he was past it and cashing out in a big money mandatory?
1. The Champion getting the benefit of the doubt in close decisions is not evidence of a fix.

2. I will take back "Lewis fought Johnson less" It is speculation on my part but logical given the information we do have.

3. There seems to be lots of sources throwing around the same accusation and rough estimate figure.

4. I've covered this.

5. The fights were never on the table. Vitali spent 2003-2005 chasing Lewis rematch and than his vacated title, than chasing Tyson, and getting Williams, before retiring with injuries.

Wlad rebult on fringe fighters and chased the Sanders rematch but got the WBO mandatory Brewster instead, losing and looking to be done for some time.

Byrd tried to replace Johnson but Lewis picked Vitali, Roy Jones woudln't make a decision and he got stuck with Oquendo mandatory.I'm sure Byrd/Oquendo was a gold mine for King, right?

Golota was a decent fight from the limited options but Byrd ended up suing King in the summer of 04, not long after the fight. Byrd's legal trouble kept him out of the ring for a good chunk of 04-06, only managing two spacious fights with old buddies, McCline and Williamson. Both good opponents really given Byrd was now blacklisted by King and the K Bros weren't available, McCline was top 10 and Williamson was coming off a good showing against Wlad.

Wlad became Byrd's #1 contender after beating Peter and that's that. So when did you think a fight with the Klitschko Bros was possible? Or did you just throw their names out there without any actual forethought?

Last edited by The Mongoose; 06-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013