Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #61
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
Young and Frazier sparred very often in the Philly Gym scene...as for how they went Young was about as adept a spoiler as you could get, so imagine him just training in the gym without any financial incentive! It'd have to be better than counting sheep.

Coupled with Young's familiarity with Frazier's style and ring habits and be suprised if anything interesting happened.
Young was an awkward customer indeed, but surely with Fraziers relentnesness and workrate, Young would have had a lot of tough moments?

It would probably be easier outboxing someone like Foreman than it would with a Frazier
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #62
slender4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

The best fighter ever to come from Kronk was a guy named Bernard "Superbad" Mayes, in the early eightes, he was maybe the best amateur in America, and beat the hell out of the rest of the Detroit guys (Hilmer Kenty, Duane Thomas, Jimmy Paul, Milton McCrory) on the amateur circuit.

Emanuel Steward had him spar with Thomas Hearns when Hearns was a world champ in his prime at welterweight, and Mayes an inactive undercard fighter, and he said he toyed with Hearns every day, just made him look stupid. Steward said he was the most talented fighter he ever coached outside of De La Hoya (?). But Mayes couldn't let the liqur go, and he ended up dying of cirrhosis at 27.
slender4 is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #63
slender4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderado View Post
Them soft American livers can't handle the drink
LOL, Guinness is one thing, but I'd like to see some of those Irish lads drink 8-9 40's of Colt .45!
slender4 is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #64
grumpy old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slender4 View Post
The best fighter ever to come from Kronk was a guy named Bernard "Superbad" Mayes, in the early eightes, he was maybe the best amateur in America, and beat the hell out of the rest of the Detroit guys (Hilmer Kenty, Duane Thomas, Jimmy Paul, Milton McCrory) on the amateur circuit.

Emanuel Steward had him spar with Thomas Hearns when Hearns was a world champ in his prime at welterweight, and Mayes an inactive undercard fighter, and he said he toyed with Hearns every day, just made him look stupid. Steward said he was the most talented fighter he ever coached outside of De La Hoya (?). But Mayes couldn't let the liqur go, and he ended up dying of cirrhosis at 27.
Great post. What a waste of potential and life.
grumpy old man is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #65
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

he was 33 when he died though..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #66
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Young was an awkward customer indeed, but surely with Fraziers relentnesness and workrate, Young would have had a lot of tough moments?

It would probably be easier outboxing someone like Foreman than it would with a Frazier

I wouldn't be suprised if Frazier gave Young some tough moments, especially early on before Young became especially familiar with Frazier's style, rythem and habits. That Frazier left hook, your boxing well and then suddenly ....

But it is speculation on my part though, I've only seen about 10 seconds of footage and read that Frazier worked hundreds of rounds with Young.

Quote:

Does anyone have any footage of Bernard Mays?... as I'd love to see some and I guess he was being filmed as early as his amatuer days (he was at Ohio State Fair invitationals where all the scouts would snoop around....)

I type in his name into the youtube search function every few months along with a half dozen other boxer's names I'd like to see, but as of yet no luck..
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #67
grumpy old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #68
slender4
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ooops, my mistake.
slender4 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #69
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I would bet my life on prime Frazier vs any Young.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #70
energie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForemanJab View Post
Good story is Tyson getting knocked out cold in sparring by Oliver Mccall 3 weeks before he fought Spinks. Dundee was there and said it. Later confirmed by McCall in an interview.
go watch tyson spar with mccall on steve lotts channel on youtube...
energie is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #71
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Alex Ramos talked about sparring with him and James Shuler, and said that both guys were tough spars.Can't see him fighting Kenty, since Mays was about 14, 15 when Hilmer was a top amatuer.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #72
KidGalahad

hard to believe that muhammad ali sparred as late as january of 1986. found this report from 1986 by chance and it says he actually did.
however, the last paragraph reveals that it looks like it was no real sparring, but rather a favor his former sparring partners did him. nevertheless it was fun to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly.com
Shuffles Back Into Ring Ex-champ, Near Age 44, Testing Time By Sparring With Tubbs, Witherspoon

By Elmer Smith, Daily News Sports Writer
POSTED: January 15, 1986

ATLANTA Muhammad Ali's fists and feet picked up speed when Jimmy Ellis called ''time" on the former champion's eighth and final round of sparring.
Ali heard him and knew his time was up. But he needed to end this sparring session, his seventh in as many days, with his own personal punctuation point.
So he advanced on Tony Tubbs, the World Boxing Association heavyweight champion, behind a flicking jab as the crowd began to chant "Ali, Ali." And he threw a three-punch combination.

Then, he brought the cheering to a crescendo with a slow-motion version of the old Ali shuffle and walked away.
The End.
Or was it the beginning ? Was it just good, clean fun? A way to lose weight? Or is there something more that has prompted this return to center stage for boxing's most beloved figure?
"I'm coming back . . . ," Ali said teasingly one day last week to a crowd that strained to hear his barely audible voice, "to my senses."
The sparring sessions started a week ago when Ali, dressed in his street clothes, walked up to Slim Jim Robinson, Tim Witherspoon's trainer, and asked for a protective cup.
"He said he wanted to go three rounds with Tim," Robinson said. "I gave him a headgear and he slid a cup on over his pants and went three rounds in his street shoes.
"The next day he came in with a sweat suit and a pair of sneakers and we've been sparring ever since, sometimes six rounds, sometimes eight. He's been as many as 10 with Tim.
"I don't know what it's all about, really. But I know the last time this happened, he walked into one of my training sessions when I had Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.
"He went in in his street clothes just like this time and boxed a few rounds. Then he said we're going to box until one of us drops. They went 30 minutes before I made them stop.
"When he came out of the ring, he said. 'I'm going to make a comeback'.
"That was in 1980, about a year after he had won his title back from Leon Spinks. About nine months later, he fought Larry Holmes."
In an interview after his final session with Witherspoon Monday, Ali, who will turn 44 Friday, delighted in tantalizing a reporter by raising the possibility of a comeback and then stepping back from it.
"I came in to lose some weight and feel better," he said. "I lost about 15 pounds. Look at this."
He stood and pulled the top of the sweat suit out of his waist band. The liquified excesses of years of inactivity rolled in rivulets from beneath the suit.
"I feel surprisingly good," Ali said. "I feel like I'm in my prime. I'm working with the top contender for the first time in five years. My punches are landing, body punches landing.
''I asked Don King if he would get me an exhibition fight if I looked good against the top contender. I said I want a 10-round exhibition, five rounds apiece with two top contenders in Madison Square Garden.
"And I said if I look good against them, would he get me a title shot. He said, 'Yes' ".
King's version differed slightly. "I told him that if he looked good, I'd put him in there for an exhibition," King said. "He's bringing himself back.
"I'd be willing to get some other retired fighter. I'd get Joe Frazier or somebody like that and let them make a little money for charity."
Witherspoon had some reservations about the comeback possibility.
"I don't know about a comeback," Witherspoon said. "But he might be able to fight a few exhibitions. He amazes me. He's still got the timing. He still throws the jab pretty good.
"He can take a punch to the body, too. I hit him to the body for real. But I can't bring myself to hit him hard in the head.
"He tells me to hit him in the head hard. But I can't. I don't want the whole world mad at me.".
source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
KidGalahad is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #73
grumpy old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"I feel surprisingly good," Ali said. "I feel like I'm in my prime. I'm working with the top contender for the first time in five years. My punches are landing, body punches landing".

Signs Ali was already starting to lose the plot here.

Muhammad Ali, one of the biggest head-hunters in boxing history 'body punching' ??
Old 06-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #74
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tim Witherspoon bloodying Gerry Cooney's nose, now that was something.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #75
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by energie View Post
go watch tyson spar with mccall on steve lotts channel on youtube...
Dont listen to him, hes a proven liar
Azzer85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum