Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Default Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Incorporate and what to avoid?
Brixton Bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton Bomber View Post
Incorporate and what to avoid?
Understand what moves you in Boxing, and keep it functional.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 825
vCash: 75
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

I do everything, however, its a lower weight high rep for the most part, other than that, I train heavy with dead lift squat, bench and shrug. Also do power clean and press, and work the jammer machine if available.
Meazy-E is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
1. Make sure you’re fresh for your technical training (boxing). Don’t let your strength training sessions take away from your boxing.

2. For upper body, I would focus on max-effort work if you can only incorporate 1 main upper body strength session per week. Remember that you are doing a lot of dynamic upper body training during your boxing workouts (hitting the heavy bag, sparring, hitting the punch mitts, etc.) Doing extra “dynamic” upper body training in the weightroom can be overkill; but, combining max-effort work in the weightroom with your dynamic “technical” work is a good recipe to develop punching power.

3. DON’T perform any strength exercises that mimic punching when you’re in the weightroom! (More specifically, don’t throw punches while holding dumbbells and don’t grab the cable crossover pulley and throw punches, either! Doing these dumb activities screws up the mechanics of your punch! Get strong in the weightroom and work on your punching technique in the ring. Period.

4. Your accessory upper body training should revolve around strengthening your neck/traps, upper back/lats, shoulder endurance & rotational abdominal strength.

5. I recommend cycling both max-effort & dynamic-effort lower body strength training into your program. As with all athletes, boxers could also benefit greatly from unilateral leg exercises, strengthening their posterior chain and sled dragging variations.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Piece
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

I disagree with not holding dumbbells when punching.

Part of your shadow boxing routine should involve both dumb bells and gloves.
Piece is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

I'm surprised Ant-Man hasn't chimed in yet, but i'm sure he has some great suggestions for resistance training involving a wall.
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
I disagree with not holding dumbbells when punching.

Part of your shadow boxing routine should involve both dumb bells and gloves.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Piece
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I think most people that boxed before would agree with this.

It didn't do anything to my punching technique. Besides, most top pros use this tactic.

There is obviously something to it.

If anything, I think it reinforces your technique.
Piece is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
closedguard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
I think most people that boxed before would agree with this.

It didn't do anything to my punching technique. Besides, most top pros use this tactic.

There is obviously something to it.

If anything, I think it reinforces your technique.
actually piece mayweather uses free weights when shadow boxing (upper cuts) to help with shoulder snaps it's on youtube I can't post the link yet.

piece I've ignored virus postings for week already and I feel like a new man lol.
closedguard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,103
vCash: 515
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
I think most people that boxed before would agree with this.

It didn't do anything to my punching technique. Besides, most top pros use this tactic.

There is obviously something to it.

If anything, I think it reinforces your technique.
What?
If you dont know dont do it. Especially not because some pro does it.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
I think most people that boxed before would agree with this.
The laughing at you part? I agree.

Quote:
It didn't do anything to my punching technique.
You actually believe holding weights weighing 1kg or more doesn't have any effect on technique? Even the weight of your gloves has an effect on your technique, to say otherwise is plain wrong.

Quote:
Besides, most top pros use this tactic.
Because they're ignorant of the facts.

Quote:
There is obviously something to it.
Just because somebody does something doesn't mean it works.

Quote:
If anything, I think it reinforces your technique.
This is just idiotic.

For someone so scared of messing up joints, ligaments etc you're ignorant of the fact punching with dumbbells is likely to **** you up as well as mess with your punching mechanics.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by closedguard View Post
actually piece mayweather uses free weights when shadow boxing (upper cuts) to help with shoulder snaps it's on youtube I can't post the link yet.

piece I've ignored virus postings for week already and I feel like a new man lol.
You don't reply to my posts because you can't, you just start rambling on about something irrelevant, but it's fine
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
JagOfTroy
Jag
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: C-dale, Illinois
Posts: 162
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

You want to focus on exercises that are going to help you develop explosive/functional strength over building your capacity to lift heavy loads.

Medicine ball exercises are great for this.
JagOfTroy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
Piece
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
The laughing at you part? I agree.



You actually believe holding weights weighing 1kg or more doesn't have any effect on technique? Even the weight of your gloves has an effect on your technique, to say otherwise is plain wrong.



Because they're ignorant of the facts.



Just because somebody does something doesn't mean it works.



This is just idiotic.

For someone so scared of messing up joints, ligaments etc you're ignorant of the fact punching with dumbbells is likely to **** you up as well as mess with your punching mechanics.
How would it injure your joints?

Do you fully extend?

Why?

My punching technique when I boxed was like the flow of water.

For real, I've heard it been called that before.

Perfect.

Or as close to perfect as you can get. Hard shots too. I've never met a man I couldn't hurt.

Shit, I hope I never do.

And I can teach that technique and I have in the past. So don't tell me it doesn't work.

I know what works. I learned from a guy that knew it worked. I never heard of anyone messing up their joints, but maybe you can expand upon that.
Piece is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Weightlifting for Boxing - What to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece View Post
How would it injure your joints?

Do you fully extend?

Why?

My punching technique when I boxed was like the flow of water.

For real, I've heard it been called that before.

Perfect.

Or as close to perfect as you can get. Hard shots too. I've never met a man I couldn't hurt.

Shit, I hope I never do.

And I can teach that technique and I have in the past. So don't tell me it doesn't work.

I know what works. I learned from a guy that knew it worked. I never heard of anyone messing up their joints, but maybe you can expand upon that.
All that needs to be said is
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013