Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Gnarly

vCash: 500
Default What actually happens amateurs?

Hi, been training for 18 months. Enjoy it, done a few rounds sparring, enjoy that too. Would love to try an amateur comp bout but im not under any illusions here, I recognize I don’t have the drive, commitment and motivation to put in the many hours of dedicated training required to prepare for an amateur bout.

So for you guys who are amateur boxers – totally admire your determination and courage! Was wondering what are pre fight procedures and whats the atmosphere like. Things like:
Draw, weigh in, medical doc check, wrap check, gloving up etc how do they work? Pre fight do you actually know who u r opponent is (ie in person not just name)? Do you warm up in same area & if u see em do u ignore each other, stare or are u friendly? Are u allowed to use your own wraps, gloves, headguards or are they supplied by the comp? If supplied are they new or used – if used hope they’re decent and not beat up & defo not already used on the same night? Do u choose from a selection or are they just issued to u in a line up pre bout?

Whats the ref say in middle of ring at start, do u try and stare opponents down or is it more chill? After u r bout win or loose do u talk, are u civil / friendly to u r opponent, congratulate em or do u kinda ignore each other? I play hockey and we chat with oppo after games, try and leave bad stuff on the ice even though we may mouth off and belt each other during games. Just interested in all these small pieces that make up the bigger picture of an amateur bout. Any interesting stories about this stuff would be kool too. Cheers!
Gnarly is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: What actually happens amateurs?

Doc's gonna grab your balls and squeeze them then he will stick a finger up yours to make sure your prostate's healthy incase of low blows.

That about sums up the medicals but don't worry bro it's all legit.
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Why don't you enter a comp and find out for yourself?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Doc's gonna grab your balls and squeeze them then he will stick a finger up yours to make sure your prostate's healthy incase of low blows.

freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Wall sits.
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

First things are weigh ins which are usually few hours earlier than the fights itself. After that you'll be put up on the board in your according weight class and if you are already matched with someone they will put you on this red blue board and shows what number bout you will be. It shows the opponents age, number of fights, and his weight.

After that you do medical check which usually involves filling out paper then get checked my doctor.

You have to get your hands wrapped with gauze and tape. And the head gears must have the USA boxing approved patch on the back side of the head gear, so you need to bring your own headgear with the patch on the back. They lend you the gloves and the gloves feel good most of the time.

And when you fight the ref basically just asks to not hit low n the back of the head and etc. He'll introduce each corners then you guys go over the rules over blah blah, then the fight starts. Enjoy!
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Gnarly

Thanks for your response & insight there twinwon interesting stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Doc's gonna grab your balls and squeeze them then he
will stick a finger up yours to make sure your prostate's healthy incase of low blows.
Guess a free prostate check is a bonus I hadn't thought of

Virus - Don't think training 2x a week for 1.5 hrs is enough, guys at the gym I go to train 4-6x week even for their first fight no use pretending I do enough prep then getting towled
Gnarly is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
Virus - Don't think training 2x a week for 1.5 hrs is enough,
You could at least try, you won't know until you do.

Giving up on things you enjoy before you even attempt anything is a sad way to live your life. You clearly enjoy boxing and want to compete, so why don't you?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #9
Gnarly

Yea good way of thinking and u r right, very perceptive of u I do really enjoy it would defo like to give an am bout a go
Gnarly is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You only really get this sort of advise on the day of competing ,especially your first fight your coach would talk about whats the next step while trying to keep you from getting to nerves .the only thing i will say is go for it ,if you train for a goal the training will make more sense,try to get as fit as possible ,its the feelings at the end of the fight that's makes you wanting more
123ko is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #11
jimmyonebomb
Journeyman

In the last competition I fought you didn't know your opponent till the day. You just turned up registered and weighed in then were matched with someone. We were all stood in a line in our underwear to weigh in, and your just looking round sizing people up wondering if there your weight. I knew nothing about the lad could just see him or who he was till I seen him climbing in the ring. I get incredibly nervous before a fight, but i'm alright once its starts and I've been hit a couple of times! But I need to sort this out as it burns up a lot of adrenaline before hand worrying. I got beat on a unaminous decision, the lad was good and fast, my record before was 1-1, his was 5-0 which I didn't know. On a club show were you are matched up with a named opponent you know what there record is, that can be worse cos if you hear someone is 5-0 you start building them up in your own head into some kind of superstar. I've only had 3 fights, one person tried to intimidate me the others were just polite and got on with it obviously depends on the person. That's how it has been for me as a novice in wales, don't know were you live

Just have a go, I only get in the gym twice a week due to work etc, but if you know your fighting i'll train myself ten at night in the garden, shadow, skipping circuts etc just to get in shape. You'll regret it one day if you don't have a go
jimmyonebomb is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Gnarly

Thanks for the insights guys really interesting congrats on getting in there appreciate the encouragement I'll have to start putting more work in as seems is worth the experience of just having even 1 fight cheers
Gnarly is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing