Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #16
RICKY BALBOA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook v Porter- My personal prediction

I remember seeing footage of Brook training with the guys from Sheffield Hallam Uni and Brook did 6 reps bench-pressing 6X20Kg plates on a 17Kg bar so a total of 137Kg for a guy probably around 11st at the time - this is an absolutely sick level of strength and I doubt there's any other welter-weight in the world with this type of strength...

So whilst Porter will try to bring rough house tactics, I think he'll find out very quickly that Brook isn't no Alexander or Malignaggi and then we'll see the fight develop more at range where Porter will eventually tire and we'll then see Brook pick him off and then knock him out.

My main worry about Brook is that he might bottle it and another poster has already said.

Porter's main advantage is the fact he's on home turf.
RICKY BALBOA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #17
Lil Floyd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I really think it all depends on how Brook deals with the pressure that porter brings. With it being a huge occasion and very long awaited Brook is going to be very nervous but hopefully he can settle down into the fight and move well to avoid those big swinging punches.

For me, that jab of Brooks is absolutely paramount.

We still dont know that much about Porter at world level. I think after this fight we will know exactly were both fighters are in terms of their levels.
Lil Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
moog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Floyd View Post
Just been watching some videos of Porter.

The guy seriously lunges in hard with his head first, staying very low. Very aggressive style. Crouches down, head first and then big wide shots. Dont get me wrong, he is very effective at what he does but i think any top fighter who can move well on the back foot and control that pressure will be able to catch him on the way in.

Kell Brook has good reactions, good speed and a great jab. If he can cope with that pressure and power and keeps his composure then Kell will slow him down with the jab, catch him on the way in and should be able to win the fight.

Shawn Porter looks like a big welterweight but Kell is bigger and he also fights a lot taller than Porter so hopefully he can use that jab to keep the range. Porter has also only had 3 knockouts after round 4, most of which where very early in his career so i think if Kell can stay away early one and drag him to the later rounds he will give himself a much better chance.

I think Kell has the style, the ability and the physical attributes to beat Porter but it all depends on whether he can put it all together and pull it off. Hes never really had to use all of his skills in one fight becasue of the guys hes fought, but this time he needs to be at the top of his game.

In my opinion i would say Brook wins a close decision and i actually think he might knock Porter down along the way.

I know people will disagree but this is what i honestly think after watching both fighters. (I am a Brit and a huge Brook fan btw)

Cant wait!!!!
Totally agree with you, this is how I see it. I wouldn't rule Kell stopping him late on. Only real dager is if Kell freezes, always a chance. If not Kell will outclass him
moog is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Clark81
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I wouldn't rule out Porter jumping on Brook in round 1 and stopping him then.
Clark81 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
zulander
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

if Brook fights tall i worry if he he will leave his chin open for Porter to tee off on. He needs to keep at range and defenses tight. I don't think Kell has the greatest upper body movement in the world so I cant see him Calzaghing Porter. The jab could be crucial if Porter cant get walk throught it or avoid it Brook is in the driving seat.

If he comes into the ring as the bigger stronger guy tho that takes away some of Porters keys to getting the win. I still think it will be close could see both guys going down. Im still leaning towards Porter.
zulander is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
Bellewlovechild
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY BALBOA View Post
I remember seeing footage of Brook training with the guys from Sheffield Hallam Uni and Brook did 6 reps bench-pressing 6X20Kg plates on a 17Kg bar so a total of 137Kg for a guy probably around 11st at the time - this is an absolutely sick level of strength and I doubt there's any other welter-weight in the world with this type of strength...

So whilst Porter will try to bring rough house tactics, I think he'll find out very quickly that Brook isn't no Alexander or Malignaggi and then we'll see the fight develop more at range where Porter will eventually tire and we'll then see Brook pick him off and then knock him out.

My main worry about Brook is that he might bottle it and another poster has already said.

yeah his main advantage he is on home turf
Bellewlovechild is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
FartWristedBum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Loving these comments, really hope this fight can 'live up to the hype'...or if not hype then I hope it turns the ingredients into a fine dine.

Obviously: Come on Kell!!!! Ha ha ha
FartWristedBum is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #23
Lil Floyd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think the replies to this thread really prove this is a 50/50 match up.

Really cant wait till next Saturday now!!!!
Lil Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
kojak
Journeyman

vCash: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark81 View Post
I wouldn't rule out Porter jumping on Brook in round 1 and stopping him then.
I think he has to be aware that this is something Porter might do straight in round 1, come out flying and put Brook under all sorts of pressure, especially as Brook is fighting away.
kojak is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #25
joegray
Journeyman

Quote:

That is sick strength. Matthew Hatton said that Kell hit far harder than Sual Alvarez
joegray is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #26
GJM
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 295

Definitely looks like a close fight on paper...

Brook has a really solid accurate jab, throws a lovely uppercut and sharp counters so I can't see Porter enjoying diving in too much. He'll have as much chance of being caught as he does catching Brook so he'll be taking risks.

Porter throws good solid hooks to the body and Brook looked like he felt a few body shots from Robles in the last fight so that doesn't bode well. Plus he's an Ingle fighter so loses on the inside all day long.

I reckon it either goes Porter mid rounds (early joy with some body shots that soften Kell up for a big overhand right he likes to throw). Or If Kell can get the jab going early and keep Porter off for the first 3/4 round, then I'd fancy him to get a late stoppage or points win. Either way, Kell will need a strong ref in there because as strong as Kell is, he's not an inside fighter so he can still get roughed up.
GJM is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
boxing4ever
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think Brook wins inside 9. I think Porter believes he walk through him but I see Brook nailing him plenty as he comes forward and they will take eventually take there toll and Brook will get the stoppage.

The biggest worry is Brook starts slow from nerves.
boxing4ever is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #28
Bellewlovechild
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

hes gonna chew him up, u seriously believe the rough house tactics wont work
Bellewlovechild is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #29
Darni187
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
Brook gets knocked out.

Upright fighter who doesnt move his head against a strong quick swinger??

Do the math.
This is the simple maths here, unless Kell keeps his distance (Kell has stamina issues) Porter will look to close the range and try to take Kell out..

Porter Ko/Tko inside 8rounds..
Darni187 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #30
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

I hope I'm wrong but I think Porter stops Kell early on, Kell's only chance is if he can catch him coming in with something big early on to make him hesitant with his wild lunges.

Porter by KO rounds 1-3.
Chappy112 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum