Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #31
assasin
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Did you fall for the Gavin hype?

i've said all along that he won't go anywhere. it was clear to see.

not disciplined enough, wasn't mentally built for tough fights, had a soft body, and didn't throw enough punches.

i picked Bundu to win, but i haven't scored it yet. i never do it live. it was a close fight that could have gone either way. Bundu got it.
assasin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #32
assasin
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
It's fashionable to call him skilful - just like people who never listen to jazz music proclaim to like jazz. But when you break it down, he doesn't do anything special or wow-worthy. Talented, yes, but not worthy of the hardcore hype that surrounds him
hardcore hype????? where was this happening, because i didn't see it.
assasin is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #33
boxfanlut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftuppercut View Post
Well some numbnut said I only realised he was a good amateur when I realised he's the only one in history to win a world gold medal from Brtain.

Surely it's harder to qualifier and get Olympic gold???? Someone with more knowledge on this can school me.
boxfanlut is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #34
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
It's fashionable to call him skilful - just like people who never listen to jazz music proclaim to like jazz. But when you break it down, he doesn't do anything special or wow-worthy. Talented, yes, but not worthy of the hardcore hype that surrounds him
This is exactly right. It's nothing more than fashion to parrot some of this stuff because it seems the clever thing to do.

I've seen just about all of his fights in recent years and (gasp) think Gavin is an absolute snooze-fest. I wish him well, but that is a different topic. No punch. He looks well under-sized at the weight and spindly limbed. Fast hands but not screamingly fast. Ok footwork. Professional for a number of years with no real test until last weekend.
Camaris is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #35
Camaris
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftuppercut View Post
Want me to fish out the official scorecards?

Or you can do that yourself?

You are committing the cardinal sin of being completely unfunny.
Camaris is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #36
Big
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
Be honest.
What hype?

Big is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #37
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaris View Post
This is exactly right. It's nothing more than fashion to parrot some of this stuff because it seems the clever thing to do.

I've seen just about all of his fights in recent years and (gasp) think Gavin is an absolute snooze-fest. I wish him well, but that is a different topic. No punch. He looks well under-sized at the weight and spindly limbed. Fast hands but not screamingly fast. Ok footwork. Professional for a number of years with no real test until last weekend.
Thats all true. He's a good boxer,but almost every other sentence people say about him mentions the word "talent". And its wearing a bit thin. I think a lot of this has to do with the one unique amateur achievement. If he was as "talented" as people say,he wouldn't have been put down in his last 2 fights,I think.
I think he can beat Bundu if he gets the return.Its almost a thing he's got to do. But almost no credit was given to Bundu. Coming to GB and beating 2 men ten years younger was a great achievement. He's got "talent" too.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #38
N17
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Did you fall for the Gavin hype?

I didn't see much hype. I saw a young fighter who believed in his ability and still does... well let's all hammer the lad... how dare he believe in himself and earn a living doing something he loves.

I try and support all British fighters, that said, some are just too much for me but I do not go on forums gloating when they have a set back.
I will never understand the bitterness and sometimes hatred I see towards young British fighters trying to earn a living in a very hard sport.
N17 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #39
Rhodesie9
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 950

Top comment N17
Rhodesie9 is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #40
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton Bomber View Post
What hype? It's a fact that he has world class skills, it's just his dedication that is in question.

Skills? He has them in abundance. Most talented/Skilful fighter on these shores.
He really isn't. He fights negative throwing a lot of arm punches, might have racked him up points in the amateurs, but as a pro that's not going to work.

Any fighter close to world level beats him.
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #41
Sugar 88
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I was convinced he'd do well based on his stellar amateur career right up until he fought Curtis Woodhouse.
Sugar 88 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #42
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The only hype he's ever got, was as an amateur & that's all the commentators & ass kissers around the gym ever talked about .You can only sell a wet bag for so long before the bottom falls out & reveals the crap inside .OK yes foot work was good, but he never counted once he made the openings .OK yes he did have a good slip counter, but never put a combo on the back off it ,if you haven't got a single power shot then pressure punch, he didn't have the heart to go forward and have a war.
Like most boxers now-our days ,they believe what everyone's telling them and stop learning whats being told when training
123ko is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #43
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by N17 View Post
Did you fall for the Gavin hype?

I didn't see much hype. I saw a young fighter who believed in his ability and still does... well let's all hammer the lad... how dare he believe in himself and earn a living doing something he loves.

I try and support all British fighters, that said, some are just too much for me but I do not go on forums gloating when they have a set back.
I will never understand the bitterness and sometimes hatred I see towards young British fighters trying to earn a living in a very hard sport.
Well said.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #44
tobyh5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton Bomber View Post
Frankie is fighting in THE BEST division in world boxing right now. The two main guys are ATG's.
What does that even mean?

He is fighting in the same division as two great guys which relates to him how?

Neder Quintana also fights in the same division as two ATG's and he has a 0-10 record with all but one fight being lost by KO but is he suddenly gaining something because he happens to fight at the same weight class as Mayweather?

I have heard some silly things before but to talk up Gavin just because he fights in the same division as them but has never fought them is a real beauty
tobyh5 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #45
Brum_Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyh5 View Post
What does that even mean?

He is fighting in the same division as two great guys which relates to him how?

Neder Quintana also fights in the same division as two ATG's and he has a 0-10 record with all but one fight being lost by KO but is he suddenly gaining something because he happens to fight at the same weight class as Mayweather?

I have heard some silly things before but to talk up Gavin just because he fights in the same division as them but has never fought them is a real beauty
He probably just means its a harder division to win a world title in, there's easier routes to a world title in some divisions.
Brum_Beat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum