Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #31
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ricky Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy147 View Post
Crawford loss wont harm Ricky any, the guy just beat Gamboa. I do think Ricky fought a shit fight that night and in his prime would have beaten him.

Judging by Rickys last fight he looks awful, would it be so bad for him to take a big domestic fight? Its all well and good saying he smashed up Kevin Mitchell but that was a good few fights ago and a lot has changed since.

Surely if Ricky were to fight Coyle or Matthews it would give us an idea as to where he is at. There is no shame in it, the guy did have a broken jaw and it does seem to be an issue.

I like Ricky and want to see him do well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie 79 View Post
That was back then when ricky was flying high in confidence Billy , Now the tables have turned a tad and Rickys miles away from the level of confidence and form of then , a more even test at present imo and will show what rickys at in terms of level
ricky with respect would stop both Derry and Tommy it would be two mismatches and Derry and Tommy know it there not dafties
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #32
Stevie 79
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
ricky with respect would stop both Derry and Tommy it would be two mismatches and Derry and Tommy know it there not dafties
Personally i think both are tests Ricky needs to look at taking to show if it is still there or not as based on every fight since Mitchell the decline has been massive in terms of workrate and that sitting on the ropes carry on
Stevie 79 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
davidmcallister
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post

How's things David?
Well the answer to your question no I wouldn't train Ricky again if asked
I'm good mate, how's things at the gym?

I thought that would be the answer mate but I wouldn't like to state something without it being the truth!!

Imo it would be very hard to work with him again the way he handled the change of trainers but at the end of the day you worked with him for so long and had great success so that might have been something at the back of your mind!

What sort of impact do you think Ricky could have at light welterweight? You have stated that he made the weight easy against Crawford so this seems a bit strange after 1 more camp he is suddenly struggling!!
davidmcallister is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #34
second to none
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Burns is done, his last fight showed that, i've defended him many times but it was clear mentally he is finished, he looked like the ring was the last place he wanted to be last time out, He has no buisness at 140, if he wants to carry on he should stay at 135 for some good domestic fights. He's done at world level, once a fighter is gone their gone Burns just isn't the fighter that beat Mitchell or Martinez anymore and never will be again.
second to none is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #35
Stevie 79
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by second to none View Post
Burns is done, his last fight showed that, i've defended him many times but it was clear mentally he is finished, he looked like the ring was the last place he wanted to be last time out, He has no buisness at 140, if he wants to carry on he should stay at 135 for some good domestic fights. He's done at world level, once a fighter is gone their gone Burns just isn't the fighter that beat Mitchell or Martinez anymore and never will be again.
I fear this is the case but hope Ricky can prove us all wrong
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #36
second to none
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
I fear this is the case but hope Ricky can prove us all wrong
To be clear i'd be very happy to be badly wrong but based on what i saw last time out he's nowhere near world level now.
second to none is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #37
Westy78
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by second to none View Post
To be clear i'd be very happy to be badly wrong but based on what i saw last time out he's nowhere near world level now.
Its pretty clear he is on the decline and nowhere near world level now
Westy78 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #38
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

Quote:
Personally i think both are tests Ricky needs to look at taking to show if it is still there or not as based on every fight since Mitchell the decline has been massive in terms of workrate and that sitting on the ropes carry on
I'm pretty sure both have sparred Ricky inside the last 12 months or so & with all due respect to Derry & Tommy neither of them will pose the sort of threat for Ricky to see where he's at.. he'd stop the pair of them.

I do agree though that he perhaps needs a confidence booster, a fight to get him re-bound and then a good domestic dust up e.g. Crolla who for that matter I think Ricky would stop as much as he has improved recently.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

OH Ricky's World Class alright just not TOP of his peers.

many fair and decent observers did comment their observations and concerns and there is certainly no harm in that. But most of the time they were treated with 'defensive' abuse or outright contempt. Ricky 'might' have been more, but more likely he would never have climbed into that top tier.

but a good and likeable and at times exciting fighter who always had a certain worrying predictability about him. But WELL DONE Son!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #40
Stevie 79
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Think its the right time for either of Eddie Hearn or Ricky to announce exactly what there plans are as from what i see Rickys back training with his running etc
Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #41
sikeside
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Aye seen him running a few times lately, think eddie tweeted last night hes on the Leeds bill

Last edited by sikeside; 08-06-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: forgot to put eds name in there
sikeside is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #42
Mufc30
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeh Leeds on October 4th he is out
Mufc30 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikeside View Post
Aye seen him running a few times lately, think eddie tweeted last night hes on the Leeds bill
Aye ****ing pied me when I asked him yesterday but then replies to somebody later on asking the same question.
JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #44
Billybryson
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He's making a habit of it these days , forgetting the people who's spent hundreds going to see him.
Billybryson is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #45
Stevie 79
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

In fairness lads he has 63k followers on twitter so probably gets hundereds of tweets most days so to reply is a lottery , although things still appear pretty unclear on rickys path a tune up fight without the making weight hassle would be good then back to lightweight as light welter is a step to far imo

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum