Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Tigre Relampago
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Exclamation Tips against tall, rangy boxers?

Everytime i have sparring against a taller and rangy boxer (especially outboxers) I get the short end of the stick despite what i try. (I'm talking about good, trained for years boxers)
If i try to move in quickly into a short range range fight, it looks like they see it from a mile away and they step away fast, if i try to fight at middle range, i get counter punched easily.

My conclusion was that i need to work on my hand speed and my legs speed so i can get in quickly from round 1 and start landing the hard punches without letting my opponent escape, so they can respect my punching power since the beginning. But i'm ALL EARS for everything you guys have to say, share, tips and advice.
Thank you for reading
Tigre Relampago is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
kiniumi
Journeyman

vCash: 173
Default Re: Tips against tall, rangy boxers?

head movement man! my coaches at my club didn't teach me any then i moved to a different club that did and now fighting those kinds of people is a lot easier
kiniumi is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

feints and footwork
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

is hard but smash that gut
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
kiniumi
Journeyman

vCash: 173

jasper has some good advice as well however be careful when feinting if you dont have the reach to immidiatley counter punch back
kiniumi is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Tigre Relampago
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiniumi View Post
jasper has some good advice as well however be careful when feinting if you dont have the reach to immidiatley counter punch back
I have tried feinting, and sometimes it works, and sometimes they read you pretty easily when they see you from a higher view.

You made a good point, head movement is something i'm trying out for myself.
In my boxing gym (or school as my trainer likes to call it) he teaches a lot of defense with the hands, blocks, slips and parrying. But not a lot of head movement so it's something i'm training for myself in sparrings. With people my height i dont have problems at all. But when i'm fighting taller people i usually keep a tight guard until i see openings or they get a little tired but honestly, in a real fight i would lose on points with that strategy on mind. So i think i have to keep applying pressure from the first round in those situations, a lot of punches and make it my fight.

Thank you all very much for the advice i appreciate anything else you guys have to say.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Tigre Relampago
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepinthehood View Post
is hard but smash that gut
Yes, thank you. Something else i'll keep in mind next time.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
closedguard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Dwight Muhammad Qawi was an expert at getting inside. We worked with him on the following technique.

1. Go stand in front of a mirror.

2. Transfer your weight onto the lead leg.

3. Curl your spine forward.

4. Use your weight to fall forward moving from side to side. Have you ever played bobbing for apples? If not this a good drill, fill the bath tub with water! Now throw in a few apples and try biting into them this is no easy task but I can assure that if you can grab an apple out the water with you teeth your opponent will not hit you with a clean shot. Dwight was 5'5 and took on the best that world had to offer.

5. Get inside. Don't be at the end of his power!

6. Keep your head of the imaginary line between you and your opponent.
closedguard is online now  Top
Old 08-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Joejr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

High gaurd come in low and explode up into your punches to the body

Will be very easy to get body shots off and the other guy will get nervous and shit himself that you will headbutt him
Joejr is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If you are moving your head for the sake of moving your head, you are wasting your time and you'll end up being predictable and getting timed. To close distance effectively- to do it without walking into punches and to simultaneously create openings to punch through- you have to do it deliberately
You have to understand distance, so you can stay just outside his punches. Then, when you slip a jab, the movement takes you into range and you can counter. A real simple example is slipping inside his jab and countering with a right to the body under his jab.
You have to know what you are trying to do and be able to see what he is looking to do. When you first start sparring to you get right to it or do you take time and pay attention at first? That is when you feint, to see how he is apt to react to certain moves that you would like to utilize. A feint is just wasted time unless you remember his reaction to use later, or you already know what he is going to do and are ready to capitalize.
You have to have real tight footwork, know how to draw the leads that you want to counter off of.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
closedguard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
If you are moving your head for the sake of moving your head, you are wasting your time and you'll end up being predictable and getting timed. To close distance effectively- to do it without walking into punches and to simultaneously create openings to punch through- you have to do it deliberately
You have to understand distance, so you can stay just outside his punches. Then, when you slip a jab, the movement takes you into range and you can counter. A real simple example is slipping inside his jab and countering with a right to the body under his jab.
You have to know what you are trying to do and be able to see what he is looking to do. When you first start sparring to you get right to it or do you take time and pay attention at first? That is when you feint, to see how he is apt to react to certain moves that you would like to utilize. A feint is just wasted time unless you remember his reaction to use later, or you already know what he is going to do and are ready to capitalize.
You have to have real tight footwork, know how to draw the leads that you want to counter off of.
Dempsey was adamant that boxers must learn to bob and weave correctly.I think your referring to the Dempsey triple? also I use the figure 6,8 once inside.

Last edited by closedguard; 08-12-2014 at 07:18 PM.
closedguard is online now  Top
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Feints only work if you sell it. Otherwise, it's easy to tell it's nothing more than a setup. Sometimes, you almost have to convince yourself you're actually going to throw the faked punch, before pulling back and throwing the real one.

The mechanics can differ between a feint and an actual punch, and people can read them pretty easily. So practice making them look real first, on a punching bag - so people will believe them.

Other than that, yeah feints, footwork & head movement like other posters said.

Also, make sure you keep a wide variety of punches and tricks to keep em' guessing. For example, I sometimes raise my right hand to make it look like i'm gonna throw it, then throw the left. Pretty common fake right? I'm always amused to see the bewildered look on their faces when I do the opposite....raise the right hand....they expect the left again, but instead I land a hard right hand. Sometimes you need to play mind games to **** with them mentally and be hard to predict.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing