Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #31
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Calzaghes face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Thats a shame. He won't be the first 'small guy' to use the move up to heavyweight as an excuse to slack off.l
Davids not a guy that furnishes too many excuses. If he gets blown away at heavy he`ll know its all his own fault.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #32
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Davids not a guy that furnishes too many excuses. If he gets blown away at heavy he`ll know its all his own fault.
You misunderstand me Scurra. I meant at heavyweight the absence of having to make a weight can lead boxers to slack off, and extra few pounds here and there doesn't really make any difference anymore like it does when you HAVE to be 200lbs for a weigh in.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #33
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
You misunderstand me Scurra. I meant at heavyweight the absence of having to make a weight can lead boxers to slack off, and extra few pounds here and there doesn't really make any difference anymore like it does when you HAVE to be 200lbs for a weigh in.
I agree...would Haye have trained as hard and as didciplined if he could have come in at any weight, no problem, for Macca? No.

On the other hand, because he will be much smaller than the big HWs, even if he fights at his best weight, say 220 odd, unless he gives a life-best performance every time, like he did against Macca, he's not going to beat the best, is he? He is aware his defence needs to be even better, for example; he is aware he needs to be as fast as ever, and as precise...so he will continue to give his very best, because he wants to be the best.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #34
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

same look enzo's going to have on his face when hopkins ko's calzaghe
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #35
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
I agree...would Haye have trained as hard and as didciplined if he could have come in at any weight, no problem, for Macca? No.

On the other hand, because he will be much smaller than the big HWs, even if he fights at his best weight, say 220 odd, unless he gives a life-best performance every time, like he did against Macca, he's not going to beat the best, is he? He is aware his defence needs to be even better, for example; he is aware he needs to be as fast as ever, and as precise...so he will continue to give his very best, because he wants to be the best.
Apart from Wlad which big heavy weight is any good? And Wlad has big problems of his own to contend with when facing a guy of Haye's stature.

And at 6' 3" and 220+ Haye is not going to be dwarfed.

Last edited by My dinner with Conteh; 03-24-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #36
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Apart from Wlad which big heavy weight is any good? And Wlad has big problems of his own to contend with when facing a guy of Haye's stature.

And at 6' 3" and 220+ Haye is not going to be dwarfed.
I think Chagaev is good too...then, there's Peter and Povetkin...they are the best, I think. If course, everyone will have problems with Valuev...

...Haye said that within 2 years he hopes to be undisputed HW Champ. Let's assume he only steps into the ring once more this year - he needs a break and he needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle - takes time...

...also, let's assume he'll fght three times next year and 2 more the year after, by summer...that makes around 6 fights...

...can Haye become HW Champ in 6 fights? If he keeps winning, I think so...3 easyish fights, then a Chagaev, Povetkin or Valuev, and finally Wlad...there you go. But he cannot jump straight to Chagaev or Valuev and then Wlad...he needs to be given time.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #37
HOF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Joe would've been pissed off that Enzo lost and showed nothing of what he is capable of. If they fought 10 times you might expect Haye to win every time but to just stand in front of Haye and present an immobile target with a nice high chin wouldn't have been the plan. Think Joe is also pissed off cos his sparring is now buggered for the Hopkins fight cos apparently Macca won't be allowed into any sort of ring for 30 days after a knockout under british board rules. I think thats the case anyway and he was supposed to be Joe's chief sparring partner
HOF is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #38
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think joe looked disgusted at enzo.is this far fetched if he beats hopkins calzaghe calling out haye at cruiserweight?
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
is this far fetched if he beats hopkins calzaghe calling out haye at cruiserweight?
Would you be surprised if I said I thought is wasn't far fetched?

Its not far fetched, its ****ing ridiculous!!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #40
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
I think Chagaev is good too...then, there's Peter and Povetkin...they are the best, I think. If course, everyone will have problems with Valuev...

...Haye said that within 2 years he hopes to be undisputed HW Champ. Let's assume he only steps into the ring once more this year - he needs a break and he needs to put on 20 pounds of muscle - takes time...

...also, let's assume he'll fght three times next year and 2 more the year after, by summer...that makes around 6 fights...

...can Haye become HW Champ in 6 fights? If he keeps winning, I think so...3 easyish fights, then a Chagaev, Povetkin or Valuev, and finally Wlad...there you go. But he cannot jump straight to Chagaev or Valuev and then Wlad...he needs to be given time.

Yep I agree. Haye needs time but it depends on the American TV guys plans for him. Hopefully he will get fed a few guys like Hasim, I would like a Skelton fight just for us Brits.

I like Peter. He is big and a monster but hardly great and I can not see him dominating the division, I think he would be an harder test than Wlad even though I rate Wlad higher.

Povetkin uses his face too much has his defence, which his great against the guys he has been fighting. He is a long way away from being considered a serious threat to the belts.

Chagaev is good but small and has not been over impressive for awhile.

Unification is an hard task for anyone but Haye has a decent shout. He is capable of causing his opponents has much of a problem because of his size and athleticism than it causing him trouble.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #41
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
i think joe looked disgusted at enzo.is this far fetched if he beats hopkins calzaghe calling out haye at cruiserweight?

I think it is...Haye KO 3 Calzaghe at CW.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #42
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Yep I agree. Haye needs time but it depends on the American TV guys plans for him. Hopefully he will get fed a few guys like Hasim, I would like a Skelton fight just for us Brits.

I like Peter. He is big and a monster but hardly great and I can not see him dominating the division, I think he would be an harder test than Wlad even though I rate Wlad higher.

Povetkin uses his face too much has his defence, which his great against the guys he has been fighting. He is a long way away from being considered a serious threat to the belts.

Chagaev is good but small and has not been over impressive for awhile.

Unification is an hard task for anyone but Haye has a decent shout. He is capable of causing his opponents has much of a problem because of his size and athleticism than it causing him trouble.
The problem is: what happens when Haye comes against a hard chinned monster with a good punch, even a mediocre one...maybe the guy cracks his chin...

I cannot see Haye going all the way because of his chin, unless his defence becomes much better.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #43
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
The problem is: what happens when Haye comes against a hard chinned monster with a good punch, even a mediocre one...maybe the guy cracks his chin...

I cannot see Haye going all the way because of his chin, unless his defence becomes much better.
Haye's got a small neck for someone bulking up to Heavyweight though. Seems he only built his upper body as his legs are skinny though.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #44
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Haye's got a small neck for someone bulking up to Heavyweight though. Seems he only built his upper body as his legs are skinny though.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #45
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Neck size to be honest isnt an indication of much. Peters got a neck like a tank and his chin is still average. Hayes neck was bigger than Enzo`s though at 17" compared to 16". Physically in all stats i believe he was bigger other than height.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum