Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member

vCash: 366
Default Keeping Calm

How do you suggest staying calm in the ring? Kinda hard to relax when there's another guy in there to rip your head off. Easier said than done.

I was sparring yesterday with a 375 pounder who was a bit taller than me. In any event its nothing for me to get hit hard, that just means I have to give them a stinger of my own. However, he was taller than me. Frustration sit in when I realized I couldn't hit him and it was a tough day at the gym from there.

Any advice?
Ali Frazier is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Murka
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Keeping Calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Frazier View Post
How do you suggest staying calm in the ring? Kinda hard to relax when there's another guy in there to rip your head off. Easier said than done.

I was sparring yesterday with a 375 pounder who was a bit taller than me. In any event its nothing for me to get hit hard, that just means I have to give them a stinger of my own. However, he was taller than me. Frustration sit in when I realized I couldn't hit him and it was a tough day at the gym from there.

Any advice?
Yeh my advice would be to just relax and keep calm in there

Good luck
Murka is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It takes time and experience. And being really good at what you do. You got agitated because you couldn't hit this guy. Why not? Don't you know how to close distance, turn angles, create openings? Avoid punches reliably? Until you know how to do those things and can do them without thinking, you'll always be tense and agitated.
Because, as you said, it is hard to think about what you are doing as you do it, as a guy is trying to punish you for making mistakes as you do it.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
It takes time and experience. And being really good at what you do. You got agitated because you couldn't hit this guy. Why not? Don't you know how to close distance, turn angles, create openings? Avoid punches reliably? Until you know how to do those things and can do them without thinking, you'll always be tense and agitated.
Because, as you said, it is hard to think about what you are doing as you do it, as a guy is trying to punish you for making mistakes as you do it.
As mentioned he was bigger than me, and I'm in the beginning stages of boxing so all had was the ol 1,2 I like pumping my jab but it couldn't connect and the frustration sat in and I was just throwing and eating right hands that whole round
Old 08-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Murka
Journeyman

Quote:
As mentioned he was bigger than me, and I'm in the beginning stages of boxing so all had was the ol 1,2 I like pumping my jab but it couldn't connect and the frustration sat in and I was just throwing and eating right hands that whole round
You should just quit now before things get really stressfull for you. Or even worse before you hurt yourself

Hang em up, son. Get a proper job
Murka is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murka View Post
You should just quit now before things get really stressfull for you. Or even worse before you hurt yourself

Hang em up, son. Get a proper job
There's no quit in me. If you didn't have anything worth a damn to say I dunno why you contributed to my thread. Please consider suicide.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Murka
Journeyman

Quote:
There's no quit in me. If you didn't have anything worth a damn to say I dunno why you contributed to my thread. Please consider suicide.
I considerd it. Answer was no
Murka is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Ali Frazier
KO ARTIST
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murka View Post
I considerd it. Answer was no
Pity :c
Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Then it is a matter of time and of learning. Everybody gets frustrated and gets hit. Take your time and master the basics of the sport- give yourself a basis to work from- and it gets easier from there.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
YearZero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

keeping calm is hard sparred a novice today with the understanding of going semi-hard but not rockhard u know haha. Anycase I trap the guy in the corner start lightly tapping him, he swings for the absolute fence and I mean fence with a massive right hand and connects hard (wasnt expecting that haha and was having a pretty shitty day). Lost my cool and proceeded to beat him up with flurry after flurry didnt stop until the round was over... i know it was a dick move but hey what can u do, lost my cool a bit there, I apologized and dropped the tempo.

coming back to op yeah, well if whatever you are trying isn't working and you can't seem to land on the guy, make sure he doesnt land on you either. start fighting more defensively..start moving more.. it may lure him into throwing more punches and overcommiting which allow you to start nailing him again. it's sometimes hard to keep cool in sparring when you havent built up an understanding with your sparring partner yet, but that's life .. communication and experience will stand you in good stead. also don't always try to win the sparring sessions sometimes you just have to cut your losses and try and work on one part of your game such as defending the right hand or whatever.

Last edited by YearZero; 08-15-2014 at 03:45 PM.
YearZero is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
moparfan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 91

Quote:

Any advice?

First of all, sparring is not about ripping someone's head off; its about learning while teaching while learning---Ali quote on sparring.

Also, once you get more in depth in training & sparring, you will not have time to think, it will just become second nature of what to do in the ring.

Also, do not be afraid to ask, not only the trainers but your sparring partners for advice. Back in my amateur days I sparred with Jeremy Williams and he frustrated the hell out of me. I asked him for some advice, and during the sparring he would tell me what I did wrong & how to correct it.

And secondly, greynotsoold is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
moparfan is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Once you view boxing as a sport and not a fight it makes it alot easier
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Staying calm and relaxed happens when you begin to have confidence in your defense.

It's a lot easier to relax when you know you can't get hurt too badly. The very mindset of "how can I relax when someone's trying to kill me" is exactly why beginners are tense.

More experienced boxers think more like "no matter what he throws at me won't hurt me, and the more aggressive he gets, the more tired he'll be and the stronger i'll be".

Just like everyone says, it's in large part, a mental game.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
YearZero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Staying calm and relaxed happens when you begin to have confidence in your defense.

It's a lot easier to relax when you know you can't get hurt too badly. The very mindset of "how can I relax when someone's trying to kill me" is exactly why beginners are tense.

More experienced boxers think more like "no matter what he throws at me won't hurt me, and the more aggressive he gets, the more tired he'll be and the stronger i'll be".

Just like everyone says, it's in large part, a mental game.
that's fine and well but if someones throwing heat at you, you better not relax too much otherwise you WILL get clipped heavily
regularly sparring lasts only a few rounds so stamina might not even come into the picture either
when it starts getting hard i usually just start stepping in with hard jabs as the guy is coming in and pressuring him with double jabs if he's walking in too carelessly, being more of an offensive fighter myself i'd rather punish the guy with shots than just standing there relaxed and having him tee off on me
YearZero is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Who cares if he is bigger, to be successful you must be calm and confident, Valuev was bigger than haye, Carnera bigger than Louis, use your skill set to your advantage and do what you can to take away his
Meazy-E is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing