Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ignorant British boxing journalists

I think it is fair to say that 60% of the people on ESB would make far better boxing journalists than any in Britain.

I was reading an article on the bbc website and some **** called Ben Dirs, who had picked Maccarinelli to win, then suggested that the best thing Haye could now do is sign with Frank ******. ******, is a 'razor sharp businessman' and has 'made millions for his fighters, not to mention himself'.

He just does not get it, when arguing his point he says it is only about making money etc, and does not quite understand that ****** is exactly the difference between hyped, protected WBO champs and proper undisputed champs like Haye, who like taking the hardest fights and have no one like ****** to stop them.

Boxing Journalists in the UK are just ignorant. Many of them have not got a clue what they are going on about and are just football journalists covering boxing every couple of weeks. Everyone likes to think they know a bit about boxing, you can just tell these guys dont know shit. Steve Bunce is probably the best the UK has. He does at least know fighters, and watches fights. The articles on the front page of this site are 10 times better than the ones you see in the papers, and the ones online at BBC
Haye is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ignorant British boxing journalists

The BBC is just that the BBC. I too read the article from "Ben-der" and he claimed the fight never lived up to its hype. At the end of the day there journalists coverage of boxing is weak, has no depth and most of there guys simply tow the company line. There pundits are equally as bad. I mean does John Rawlings know ANYTHING about boxing?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Funny, I just read the exact same article and thought just the same things as you. What a muppet that guy is. Haye will make money anyway, he can go and fight in the US and will already have big networks interested as he is exciting, powerful, talks well and looks the part.

Sadly he is also no smack talking but that will appeal to a certain sector of the US market and probably help him too.

If he was with ****** there would be another 10 fights before he got put in with a danger.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

You rarely got proper boxing journalists now. The sport simply is not popular enough and we end up with part-time Football journalists butchering our sport.

Indeed a few years back I remember some BBC clown (Adrian Childs) doing the boxing; he was mocking Larry Merchant. Now I know Merchant is not everyones cup of tea, but I do know Merchant knew more about boxing in his little toe than Childs knows period.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Do you agree that a lot of the guys on here would make far better boxing writers than any of the current ones?

There are some good articles written on the front page, and most people on here are far more knowledgeable, and most of them pretty articulate.
Haye is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Only the ones that have been posting here for sometime. Like myself cough * cough *.Theres way too many fanboys and children on these boards now who are completely incapable of writing subjective material.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I usually like Dir's stuff, but I do think he's mixed-up about ******.

No arguement ****** can make himself and his fighters good money.
But that's so often achieved with easy marks, safe fights and paper belts, with actual big-name fights seldomly sprinkled in.

So if Haye wants to just make cash, sure ****** is a good pick.
If he wants to fight the top names as soon as possible, no way.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

of the 50% of us on here that know what were talking about, 99% of them cannot spell or construct a sentence, me inlcuded.

Oh if haye signed a deal with ****** where ****** promoted him but Haye picked the fights, would not be a bad idea. I reckon Haye will sign with GBP.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
You rarely got proper boxing journalists now. The sport simply is not popular enough and we end up with part-time Football journalists butchering our sport.
Thats the problem in a nutshell IMHO.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
dwilson

vCash:

I really try and avoid anything the BBC has to say about any sport. It is not just the boxing that let's them down, they are often in a complete mess when it comes to motorsport and many other "niche" sports they do not bother broadcasting. I think it is just a case of lazy journalism.

I did laugh when I got up on Sunday morning to read on ceefax htat the Haye vs Macca fight did not live up to expectations. Personally I think it went exactly to expectations unless you were ****** or an Enzo fan.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Haye is good enough to last without Frank ******. He has won the undisputed title without him!

Some fighters though would have won world titles sooner if it were for Frank ******, if they are good enough or not, neither Skelton or Rees proved much but both got shots. Granted Arthur wasnt handed the WBO like ****** had hoped but he still gets a shot at one of the best p4p in his backyard. If that was Hennesey or Hobson, they would have to travel and get less money.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
rusticraver
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I found it astonshing how many journalists were picking Maccanareli.

And don't get me started on the Khan hype machine.
rusticraver is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Id say before the fight more people knew who Maccarinelli was than David Haye... Frank ******s influence...
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Only the ones that have been posting here for sometime. Like myself cough * cough *.Theres way too many fanboys and children on these boards now who are completely incapable of writing subjective material.
Did u just use the word *subjective* in relation to your own opinions?
Diablo is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
rooq
East Side Guru

annoying that even a couple of days later with time to reflect, some "journalists" are claiming it was a 50-50 fight and it was just that haye managed to land first.
rooq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum