Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Was Enzo really the trainer of the year?!

I mean lets be real. Apart Joe what was so great about Enzo`s resume for him to win this award? Enzo Maccarenelli won the WBO as another carefully guided ****** fighter. And the same can be said of Ree`s and Lockett in his imminent title challenge.

Only Enzo and Joe are true world class calibre fighters. The rest of his stable are just decent domestic, Euro level comp. Why did Enzo win this award? Is he deserving of it? Thoughts.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484
Default Re: Was Enzo really the trainer of the year?!

I raised this point before only to be shot down. Theres no denying he's better than a Buddy McGirt and so on, but he isn't one of the elite in my opinion. Take Joe out of the equation completely and you are left with a mediocre trainer with a mediocre stable of fighters.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
I mean lets be real. Apart Joe what was so great about Enzo`s resume for him to win this award? Enzo Maccarenelli won the WBO as another carefully guided ****** fighter. And the same can be said of Ree`s and Lockett in his imminent title challenge.

Only Enzo and Joe are true world class calibre fighters. The rest of his stable are just decent domestic, Euro level comp. Why did Enzo win this award? Is he deserving of it? Thoughts.
Regardless of how good a champ M'Baye was or wasn't that was a pretty big upset considering Rees was mostly In 6 rounders and then Enzo Mac became a little more of a boxer than a limited puncher when he moved to Enzo Calzaghe's gym.

Maybe It was because he had a sucessful year compared to most trainers because he had so many wins In a row.

The only thing I disagree with Is their no weights policy though.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
dwilson

vCash:

Yep but his guys did achieve alot of success. If we are gonna break down each trainer that trains a fighter that gets an easy title shot then we will be here all day.

Enzo has done great with his son. He also helped Ree's no end into wining his belt and even though Macca has now been defunked he turned him into a very competant fighter. If you also add his work with Pryce his resume over last year looks pretty damm good. He had a great success rate.

However this year I think we will come full circle with Ree's losing to Kotelink. Joe to Hopkins and Pryce will not be on that level for long. Lockett surely can not win Pavlik, while the other guys in the gym are hardly going to set the world on fire. I think 08 will see him calling time on his training career through his guys losing and not by choice.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

I don't believe he is better than Buddy. Trainers go through highs and lows in terms of there fighters achieving. But Buddy did miracles for Gatti and steered Tarver and Brewster to championships. He also trained Forrest Timo Hoffman Mads Larsen and Malinaggi. Now you compare those fighters to Enzo`s stable and its not even close.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think you gotta give the man credit for what he did last year - whether he was the ultimate trainer in the world - dont know but he was for uk
steelem is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Regardless of how good a champ M'Baye was or wasn't that was a pretty big upset considering Rees was mostly In 6 rounders and then Enzo Mac became a little more of a boxer than a limited puncher when he moved to Enzo Calzaghe's gym.

Maybe It was because he had a sucessful year compared to most trainers because he had so many wins In a row.

The only thing I disagree with Is their no weights policy though.
Weights WOULD have Enzo and would certainly augment his power which i believe could be more fluid as he loads up alot rather than just letting them go.

M`Baye Ree`s was certainly an upset. But considering Ree`s record prior to that no ones expecting him to suddenly become a world beater now that the WBA is around his waist.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Yep but his guys did achieve alot of success. If we are gonna break down each trainer that trains a fighter that gets an easy title shot then we will be here all day.

Enzo has done great with his son. He also helped Ree's no end into wining his belt and even though Macca has now been defunked he turned him into a very competant fighter. If you also add his work with Pryce his resume over last year looks pretty damm good. He had a great success rate.

However this year I think we will come full circle with Ree's losing to Kotelink. Joe to Hopkins and Pryce will not be on that level for long. Lockett surely can not win Pavlik, while the other guys in the gym are hardly going to set the world on fire. I think 08 will see him calling time on his training career through his guys losing and not by choice.
Then is the award based on a trainers ability to be consistent and produce great results for his fighters or merely for his fighters to get good results.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Then is the award based on a trainers ability to be consistent and produce great results for his fighters or merely for his fighters to get good results.
Well considering Macca, Ree's and Joe went undefeated last year wining big fights and each had a world title. I think that is pretty great going.

Who would you have had has trainer of the year last year. If you go by win loss ration in big fights and fighters achievments on the level of Pryce. You can not say his guys did not have a great year. Can you?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Considering the quality of Ree`s and Enzo`s comp i cant agree. Nice records but look at who they fought. Ree`s has had nearly 30 fights and never contested one domestic title? And the same can be said for Enzo.

I'm not disputing his stable having a good year. What im disputing are his credentials as a trainer.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Considering the quality of Ree`s and Enzo`s comp i cant agree. Nice records but look at who they fought. Ree`s has had nearly 30 fights and never contested one domestic title? And the same can be said for Enzo.

I'm not disputing his stable having a good year. What im disputing are his credentials as a trainer.

I can not agree more on what you say about Enzo and Ree's opponents but the fact is that Ree's beat a good world champion and Enzo was a world champion, the guys win against Braithwaite was as good as what most title fighters do.

His credentials has a trainer are pretty obvious. He has had domestic success with Pryce who was considered finished a long long time ago and got two domestic fighters world champion status. The work with Joe is pretty ****ing great.

Who would you have had as trainer of the year last year?

I do think the bubble will soon burst but last year he really kicked ass all round.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

To be honest no ones really stood out for me. Enzo`s fighters admittedly have had the best year. But equally in the not 2 distant future that fortune is certain to run out and has started already with Maccaranelli. But as iv said already im not disputing his fighters success just his credentials as a world class trainer.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
To be honest no ones really stood out for me. Enzo`s fighters admittedly have had the best year. But equally in the not 2 distant future that fortune is certain to run out and has started already with Maccaranelli. But as iv said already im not disputing his fighters success just his credentials as a world class trainer.
I agree. I do not take all this him being a miracle worker etc stuff that was being spouted but I do think that overall his fighters achievments last year kinda blew all the other guys out of the water.

To be honest I think Enzo Calzaghe got owned by Adam Booth last weekend. Not only for what happened in the ring but because Booth and Haye got everything so right. From the training to the weight issue's to the press conferance **** up and the fact that everything Haye did in the build up from when he first started training was done to perfection with no messing about.

See Bunce saying to the Setanta presenters that Haye wanting to keep his sleep pattern would make no differance in the ring? Bunce stated that a fighter could wake up at 3.55AM and be ready in the ring to fight at 4AM. Booth made sure every angle had been covered while Enzo was ****ing about making a **** of himself.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

I used to like Bunce. But he has no credibility whatsoever and says whatever it takes to keep his journalism job going. Why on earth would you think its ok to disrupt a fighters sleep pattern thats just simply stupid. Im pretty sure this was Hayes best camp ever. The hard work really showed.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #15
dwilson

vCash:

Yep Bunce was practically taking the piss out of Haye and Booth in that part of the show. Bunce also went on to say how great Macca's training had gone, Woodhall mentioned it too saying the cold welsh valleys make Macca a tougher fighter and also that Haye's training with new methods of training and routines and diet were all for show and pretty crap compared to the old school shit Enzo got up to.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum