Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
jonfh1993

vCash: 500
Default Headgear has been removed in the UK! What do you think of this?

So yesterday I heard that all senior amateur boxers in the UK (don't know about other areas of the world) are set to lose headgear! What are your opinions on this, good or bad move? Will it increase brain injuries/traumas in the amateurs?

Personally I think it is a good idea for competition purposes, but keep thinking it may have an affect on long term brain damage etc.
jonfh1993 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Headgear has been removed in the UK! What do you think of this?

That went live last year all over the world as far as I know.

Headgear doesn't prevent brain damage/trauma. Only cuts and bruises.
I had 1 fight without headgear and there wasn't any noticeable difference, except you notice the clashing of heads more than usual.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2468

Cant stand head gear. I never feel like I can breath as good with that ****ing chinstrap, my head is a bigger target, it is harder to slip punches.
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lartize View Post
Cant stand head gear. I never feel like I can breath as good with that ****ing chinstrap, my head is a bigger target, it is harder to slip punches.
Yep I boxed much better without them, you know your own space and distance better. Also if you get one too big for your head it slips down or around your head, totally messes with your equalibruim. If you get punched and it turns you gotta try sort it out during sparring or even fighting.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepinthehood View Post
Yep I boxed much better without them, you know your own space and distance better. Also if you get one too big for your head it slips down or around your head, totally messes with your equalibruim. If you get punched and it turns you gotta try sort it out during sparring or even fighting.
I've had that issue too.

I understand the point of using one before a match so you don't get cut or messed up in some heavy sparring, but on just a regular sparring session or in an actual fight... I'd MUCH rather not use one.
Lartize is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I personally feel "naked" without them for some reason tbh.
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
JonStevo10
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Having just watched the commonwealth games it is a terrible decision to allow boys to box potentially 5 bouts in the space of a week without them. There were cuts galore and pretty much all due to head clashes. This is ok if you have ample time to recover but in that type of competition I think the head guards should have stayed.
JonStevo10 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

I'll confess to having always hated wearing 'em.

It always felt like they were obstructing my vision, although I'm not sure how much that was just me being paranoid they might have been. Obviously if you're facing your opponent every second like you ought to (protect yourself!) he is never going to be in your periphery where the outer edges or temple or cheek 'wings' of some types of headgear might create blinders...and you are only ever going 1-on-1 so you don't need to worry about being flanked by multiple assailants. Maybe, worst case scenario, you could trip over the ref's/coach's feet if you lose track of him - but that's about it. I guess there was never any rational thought behind it, just a weirdly anxious claustrophobic feeling and dislike of having panoramic view restricted/tunneled.

Even worse is the kind with the solid bar across the nose, which I had to wear for a while after mine was busted to where it kept pouring like a faucet every time it was tapped with a jab (or even my own gloves blocking one). It felt like this huge dark mass right below my eyes, so distracting. It also didn't really help - the bar had too much give and would just smash into my nose when hit, and the geyser would erupt same as without it.

As someone else commented on, having to reach up in the midst of the action to manually realign one that is too loose after it gets spun off-center is a huge pain in the ass. No matter how quickly or alertly you do it you are going to feel like a jackass and worse, like you're wide open to give someone a couple of free whacks. (you never want to assume sportsmanlike conduct, even in sparring )
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
JayTesla
Journeyman

Im a senior and I havent heard anything about this. I thought it was just the Elite division that scrapped the headgear.
JayTesla is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

in croatia headger is off for about 1 year already.. its ok for single bouts, but for tournament its little ****ed up if you get cut in first fight.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1050

The ABA contested it for all but the elite level until the were given an ultimatum to fall in line. Not sure it's right for novice fighters. At the lower levels this is a hobby, albeit a potentially dangerous one. Coming into work with a gash over your head due to clash of heads isn't ideal.

I also think the removal of some of the weights isn't ideal. 64k, 69kg and 75kg - that's a full stone jump. Good for the spectator, not for the chaps caught between weights.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
TinFoilHat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 878

I think the removing of the head gear is retarded. I just think the frequency of Amauter bouts is too high for each person to allow the cuts to properly heal. If you really hate headgear that much, just turn pro...

I know the reason the AIBA is probably doing it is because it makes it more interesting/extreme from a spectator point of view. This kind of pisses me off because these ****ing lowlifes who promote amateur shows make money off of young kid's blood. Also the risk of eye injury is higher without headgear... I think no headgear should be reserved for the highest level of the amateur circuit, such as olympics...
TinFoilHat is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #13
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Would people with objections based on the increased risk of cuts be happier with the change if accompanied by stricter penalties & more leeway given to referees in amateur boxing where butts are concerned? IE disqualification for a flagrant intentional, and points off for repeat occurrences even when incidental? (hence serving as enough of a deterrent to get competitors and coaches to scramble to adjust their styles to prevent them happening as often)

I'm actually not sure what the current AIBA rules are there.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Interesting subject,up to the early 80s Amateurs did not wear headguards. I have had 4 contests in a day, yet I in all my contests never got cut throughout my career. Only time I did was sparring with headguards on.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Interesting subject,up to the early 80s Amateurs did not wear headguards. I have had 4 contests in a day, yet I in all my contests never got cut throughout my career. Only time I did was sparring with headguards on.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing