Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Classic Section says: Marquez v Pacquiao

You guys got a feeling about this fight and how it might go?

A fascinating one. Marquez dominated Pacquiao the last time they met but the feeling is that things have changed. Pacman is better rounded now, whilst JMM is seen as a fighter who has slowed down and compensated by sitting down on his punches a bit - perhaps of little value against Manny.

But there is more - Pacqiao has seemed distracted and perhaps even disinterested of late. There is certainly a sense that he needs to bring his best here...

Which way do you gents think this fascinating contest might go?
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Default Re: Classic Section says: Marquez v Pacquiao

I think it's a geniune 50/50 fight. However, Pacquiao should be installed as the narrow favourite. He's gained better momentum since the first fight and fought the better quality of opposition.

Marquez has been standing and trading more recently. But he looked very close to his peak against Jaurez in his last fight. Not as flat-footed. He looked as sharp as I've ever seen him.

Pacquiao has improved since the first fight. He's using his jab on a regular basis and his right hand is a more telling punch during combinations. Pacquiao also hooks off the jab, something he wasn't doing much 4 years ago. He's simply became a two fisted fighter.

I'd be surprised if Pacquiao rushes forward like he did throughout the first fight. He was getting picked apart during those moments. He'll more than likely hang back like he did against Barrera. He'll play right into Marquez's hands if he comes forward constantly. But testing Marquez's chin might not be a bad idea considering he had him down three times during the opening round of their first encounter.

I have one worry about Marquez, his chin. While it's not glass, it's not exactly granite. Down three times when they first squared off and Barrera floored him with a single right hand. Pacquiao on the otherhand has a solid set of whiskers.

Marquez's movement and reflexes need to be as good as ever. He's technically among the best fighters I've ever seen. Very good with both hands, gets a lot behind his punches, and throws every punch in the book. His style is perfect.

Marquez will probably win via close decision. But Pacquiao will more than likely win if the bout doesn't go the distance.

Last edited by Robbi; 03-11-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Marquez can't win, even if Marquez wins 8 rounds they'll give the decision to Manny Pac. Hes worth too much to Uncle Bob.

Pac is tight at the weight and has lost some stamina for me despite improving technically, however his defense and footwork still leave allot to be desired and JMM should be able to tea off and counter Pac at will.

As for JMM if the rematch was immediate he'd outbox Pac but now its a tight affair. He has aged allot and his legs arent what they quite were. So JMM will be easy to hit
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 235

This is a very hard fight to pick a winner...From what I've read Pacquiao did train more at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood CA. instead of parying in the Phillipines for this fight. I think that he respects Marquez's ability. Pac is becoming a more rounded fighter than the last time...not quite as fast though, but he is bigger, with more power than before. Of the two, Marquez is the one who has possibly slipped just a little bit. I don't know what the odds are, but Pac should be favored...But I'm going out on a limb just a little and picking Marquez by decision. He'll be prepared for Pac's rush this time...and he took the majority of the rounds last time.
UD Viva Mexico!
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
This is a very hard fight to pick a winner...From what I've read Pacquiao did train more at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood CA. instead of parying in the Phillipines for this fight. I think that he respects Marquez's ability. Pac is becoming a more rounded fighter than the last time...not quite as fast though, but he is bigger, with more power than before. Of the two, Marquez is the one who has possibly slipped just a little bit. I don't know what the odds are, but Pac should be favored...But I'm going out on a limb just a little and picking Marquez by decision. He'll be prepared for Pac's rush this time...and he took the majority of the rounds last time.
UD Viva Mexico!

Juan Manuel Marquez, technically among the finest ever to lace'em up.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
The last time Marquez and Pacquaio meet was 2004. It was a pretty good fight, with a fair verdict of a draw . I'm not sure how much Marquez has left in 2008. Marquez is 34 now, which is ancient for a lower weight fighter, and has 50+ pro fights.

I get the feeling Marquez's speed, legs and stamina have fallen off a little, and slugging with Pacquiao is an unlikely way for him to win.

I think Pacquaio will win. That is my pick. As good as Pac-man is, I think a good boxer with a jab, or a good counter puncher can beat him. Can Marquez do it? Maybe. I don't see anyone out slugging Pacquaio.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

A fascinating one. Marquez dominated Pacquiao the last time they met but the feeling is that things have changed. Pacman is better rounded now, whilst JMM is seen as a fighter who has slowed down and compensated by sitting down on his punches a bit - perhaps of little value against Manny.

But there is more - Pacqiao has seemed distracted and perhaps even disinterested of late. There is certainly a sense that he needs to bring his best here...

Dominated? Won more rounds perhaps but dominated? I didn't see that at all. In fact I thought Pac won a close but clear decision.

This time round I think Marquez will be a little more careful in the early going and Pacquiao will box a little better over the distance.

I'll back Pac in to win a close one and expect plenty of noise from the Marquez fans when he doesn't get the nod.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
In fact I thought Pac won a close but clear decision.
Scary. And forget my avatar.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

i see jmm winning a ud probably 8-4
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Scary. And forget my avatar.
And here's my scary scorecard: 114-112 Pac

Rounds 3,5,6,8,9 and 11 to Marquez.
Rounds 1,2,7,10 and 12 to Pac.
Round 4 Even.

Even giving the 4th to Marquez he loses on my card. I don't really see which rounds could go the other way really. Rounds were pretty self evident for mine.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I scored it a draw, JMM obviously winning more rounds, Pac hanging in there on points due to the huge first round.

I'll take JMM by Decision in the rematch.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I scored it a draw, JMM obviously winning more rounds, Pac hanging in there on points due to the huge first round.

I'll take JMM by Decision in the rematch.
I scored it as a draw also.

As for this one...
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 235

Quote:
I scored it as a draw also.

As for this one...
I had it a draw as well for the first go...and not feeling real secure with my Marquez pick...Very close.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax
Pacquiao will win the rematch. he has gotten better, marquez has not.
I agree that Pac is technically better. But he has looked a little disinterested. I suppose you have to assme that he will bring his a-game.

I'm going for Marquez on points.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

My Ring magazine came today its experts were tied 10 /10 on this pick ,I dont know enough about Marquez to comment ,but it shapes up as a good fight .
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum