Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Antonio Tarver's power:underrated?

Some people say that Tarver didn't have alot of power and was lucky to knock Roy Jones out but before that left hook he show'd he had a good punch. He took Eric Harding out in 5 after Jones couldn't even hurt him and had Chris Smith leavin on a stretcher after he knocked him out. Also the punch he laid Montell Griffin out with in the 12th round of there fight was grusome. I was surprised he got up. He's never been a Bob Foster or Mike Spinks but dude can punch. Does anyone else think dudes power is underrated.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Antonio Tarver's power:underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
Some people say that Tarver didn't have alot of power and was lucky to knock Roy Jones out but before that left hook he show'd he had a good punch. He took Eric Harding out in 5 after Jones couldn't even hurt him and had Chris Smith leavin on a stretcher after he knocked him out. Also the punch he laid Montell Griffin out with in the 12th round of there fight was grusome. I was surprised he got up. He's never been a Bob Foster or Mike Spinks but dude can punch. Does anyone else think dudes power is underrated.
The punch he caught on Roy basically was thrown at the right time so that roy didn't see the punch coming. Roy who being out of his prime didn't have the reflexes to dodge that punch, he can't throw hooks from so far out of of range and move out of the way and be conscious of punches coming at him like he used to be. Anyways it caught him on his temple and he didn't see it really.

In the first fight Roy took all Tarvers shots and from what I could see wasn't even hurt. To be honest it is interesting. I don't have a verdict on Tarvers power to be honest, it doesn't seem to be that much, although he has a pretty good right hand. His destruction of harding was weird, Harding was dominating him from the 1st bell on and got caught. Harding whooped him a while back in their first fight dominated, broke Tarver's jaw, and Tarver never hurt him. Had Tarver won that fight he would've faced Roy then and there and would've got completely destroyed by a prime Roy. It pretty much took like 20 consecutive right hands by Tarver to stop Harding. Harding couldve weathered the storm had he held on.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Tarver has a load of power in that left hand. Always has....they mentioned it in the first Jones fight. But that's really all he has.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Tarver has a load of power in that left hand. Always has....they mentioned it in the first Jones fight. But that's really all he has.
well he totally destroyed harc chinned eric harding with that left hand.

i feel he has power but his style doesnt work with it. only when somone really places it....he will knock you out...or make you say "im form philidelphia" when the ref says are you ok.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evisceration
Is this a dipper_brown alias? Cus I would find it VERY hard to believe that Tarver has more than 1 fan.
i dont think tarver has fans i just think they are roy haters
jonesjrp4p1 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 197

I have never heard of Tarver's power being underrated.
PolishPummler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum