Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
cityofgod
Worcester warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default enzo Calzaghe ... vastly overated?

...i mean Enzo Macc

I read an articulate and well crafted appraisal of Enzo Macc and the writer made some very considered points.

In a nutshell, they wrote that if then tables were turned and that Big Macc was not signed by ******... nor fought on national tv in front of tens of thousands of boxing fans...

.. and instead if Big Macc fought these Bobby Gunns, Hobsons and Braithwaites on an obscure tv channel in front of 800 people ...the same venues as David Haye was fighting last year, like York hall and Altricham leisure centre ....

...would anyone have gave him a cat in hell's chance?

Lets say Haye had fought the Frogomeni's & Mormecks on big ****** productions? on national TV in front of tens of thousands

I seriously think Big Macc is a pup that has been vastly oversold to fight fans.
cityofgod is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: enzo Calzaghe ... vastly overated?

He's a good fighter, one of the top cruiserweights today.

He simply ran into a bad style match up against the best cruiser today.

His competition has largely been shit though and was hardly the right preparation for a fight of this magnitude.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I think Macc is a Top 10 Crusier. No more and no less.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Dibbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

We just have to be thankful the fight was made for two reasons, firstly Enzo's arse got well and truely kicked, although Frank ****** claims Enzo only got 'clipped', secondly, i'm sure the Calzaghe camp would have made another attempt to make the Ezra Sellers fight again..
Dibbs is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Macaranelli IS a top 5 Cruiserweight...fullstop.

Haye is basically a heavyweight who boils down to Cruiserweight, but he is head and shoulders above the rest.

Plus this is coming from a guy whom doesnt really like Haye, you have to give the guy props, i mean he has no real competition at his weight so he is moving up.

I think he will be a top 10 Heavy, maybe a champ, but no great as everyone is predicting.

As for Enzo Calzaghe his record speaks for itself.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofgod
...i mean Enzo Macc

I read an articulate and well crafted appraisal of Enzo Macc and the writer made some very considered points.

In a nutshell, they wrote that if then tables were turned and that Big Macc was not signed by ******... nor fought on national tv in front of tens of thousands of boxing fans...

.. and instead if Big Macc fought these Bobby Gunns, Hobsons and Braithwaites on an obscure tv channel in front of 800 people ...the same venues as David Haye was fighting last year, like York hall and Altricham leisure centre ....

...would anyone have gave him a cat in hell's chance?

Lets say Haye had fought the Frogomeni's & Mormecks on big ****** productions? on national TV in front of tens of thousands

I seriously think Big Macc is a pup that has been vastly oversold to fight fans.
It's unlikely he would have been as highly regarded if he was not with ******. If a fighter has a contract with a major promotor, it is usually a sign that the promoter has some degree of confidence in their ability as they are most often interested in money first and foremost, and it is money that is on the line when they back a fighter by adding them to their stable.

On the other hand, some promoters, ****** in particular, have a reputation for hyping and protecting their fighters which can result in fans writing off fighters as overprotected/hyped. So I suppose the truth is somewhere in the middle.

However, I believe he is better than a lot of people have said in other threads - Haye was the reason why Macca looked bad, not himself.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Enzo Mac is definitely a top 5 Cruiser in the UK.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Enzo Mac is definitely a top 5 Cruiser in the UK.
I think he is better than that. I can assure you he would hold his own against the likes of USS Cuntingham and co. Haye is a different ball game.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer
He's a good fighter, one of the top cruiserweights today.

He simply ran into a bad style match up against the best cruiser today.

His competition has largely been shit though and was hardly the right preparation for a fight of this magnitude.
Bingo all round.

If anything, this fight really showed how the ****** method of bringing fighters along can really be detrimental.
I think Enzo has not progressed as far as he could've over the last two to three years, and that's down to the often poor opponents placed in front of him.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
dwilson

vCash:

If Enzo Macc had not been with ****** the lad may never have had the WBO title shot but he may have faced harder opponents. Braithwaite was still pretty decent and no complete push over and Azzouzzi came with a respectable record if not the type that ******ted a world title crack. Macca may have been going around trying to get the Euro belt still.

I believe Macca is a definate top 10 Cruiser and we shall see how much higher up that list he can go when Haye vacates. He still has full backing so should get another chance at his old belt sooner or later.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I will not have a go at Enzo Maccarinelli because he had the guts to sign up and take the fight even though I knew it would end up as an exceution. For that alone he has my undying respect and admiration. Can he come well let us see as that would define the character of the fighter and man and wish him the very best.

As for Enzo Calzaghe the suspicion is that he is overrated though anyone who can make Gavin Rees a world champion cannot be all that bad. I think Enzo Calzaghe from his pre-fight comments obviously did not evaluate Haye properly or respect Haye's ability otherwise they should have been carefully early and try to prolong the fight into the latter stages when Maccarinelli might have potentially had an advantage but no the came prepared to trade against the better boxer and puncher who had the better chin. The result was over and out & Goodnight Irene.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

You mean Enzo went into the match overrating his own ability due to been fed a conveyor belt of untesting opposition by SN? Never....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Lets Judge Enzo after the Rees fight thats coming up.

There were lot of people on this biard that thought Enzo was fantastic and would beat Haye, then again half the guys on here thought Hatton would knock out Mayweather! Haye is world class. Enzo is a decent fighter and because he has good managment, he will be a world champ again!
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Look at Enzo in the time he lasted against Haye - he looked terrified of anything David threw!

If he was that confident, he'd have been more positive - he knew he wasn't that good. FW may have overrated him, but he certainly didn't overrate himself.
Flux... he was facing the biggest puncher in the division he was going to look cautious... lol. Are you just trying to have a go because of the internet girlfriend thing?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Lets Judge Enzo after the Rees fight thats coming up.

There were lot of people on this biard that thought Enzo was fantastic and would beat Haye, then again half the guys on here thought Hatton would knock out Mayweather! Haye is world class. Enzo is a decent fighter and because he has good managment, he will be a world champ again!
Considering the level Rees was fighting on he's already shown to be a great trainer and not just on the talent of Joe.

Loses a fight and people think he's overrated already.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum