Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Asikainen was robbed

I just watched the Asikainen - Sylvester fight and it´s true.

Sylvester hit him in the neck.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Asikainen was robbed

This is no joke. Referee Giuseppe Quartarone did huge mistakes. Asikainen´s camp is considering to make a complain about the referee.

Please, just dont say that this is only crying. Before you say that, please re-watch the fight and these things:

1. Round
Asikainen knocked Sylvester down with a left hook same time bell. I have understood that the fef have two things to do here. 1) count to Sylvester, so Asikainen gets a 10-8 round. 2) If the ref thinks that the punch came too late, then he should had taken a point away from Asikainen and give Sylvester time to recover. Well the punch did not come too late.
What did Quartare do? None of these. He HELPED SYLVESTER UP (What The ****) and HELPED SYLVSTER TO HIS CORNER. I can not belive it. This can happend only in Germany.

8. Round
Sylvester took a step to behind of Asikainen and punched a hard punch to the neck of Asikainen. Asikainen wobbled badly and was clearly hurt. What did Giuseppe Quartarone do??? He did not take a point away from Sylvester!! If the referee do not take a point that (ILLEAGAL PUNCH THAT REALLY HURT THE OTHER BOXER). And what was the worse thing to Asikainen that Quartarone did not give the badly shaken Asikainen no time to recover. Right after the foul the ref asked that are you okey and Asikainen said yes, but the referee should has seen that he was not okey. He should had first said to the fouled boxer that he has time to recover if he needed time. A shaken boxer automaticly just answered that yes, yes.

Asikainen told after the fight to Finnish press that he could not feel his legs after the punch to the neck. And even his trainer had to ask him in the round pause that does Asikainen know who he is.

Round 11.
First there was a situation where Sylvester pulled down Asikainen´s head and punched him. The referee did say to Sylvester to not do it again. A minute after it same happened again. Sylvester pushed Asikainen´s head down and punched after it. This time Asikainen went down. What did Quartarone do? He just ruled it a slip. This time he did not say it was a foul and he did not say that it was not. If he would had ruled it a clean punch he should had ruled is a knockdown, what he did not do. If he would had ruled it a foul (what is clearly was) he should had given Asikainen time to recover. Once again Asikainen was badly hurt and the ref just started the fight right after the foul. And when he did that Asikainen had his mouthpeace in his glove! Asikainen had his mouthpeace in his hand and Quartarone allowed Sylvester to go after him!

It was a sad day for boxing. These thing should not happend. I just hope that Giuseppe Quartane did not destroy Asikainen´s career compleatly. I am not sure. Asikainen might never be the same again after this. I really hope that he will be.

I do not belive that Quartane was payd to do everything he can to get the hometown boxer a victory. Of course it is possible, but I do not belive in it. He just made huge mistakes and put a man´s career and healt in danger.

Last edited by Toney; 06-26-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Stop whining and bitching

Sylvester´s rabbit punch in the 8th admittedly was an illegal shot but it didn´t land that hard and asikainen - seeing the fight was slipping from his fingers - tried to capitalize from it by putting on a B- grade Hollywood play acting show, Im glad the ref didnt take a point from sylvester in this incident.

The right hand he hit him with in the 11th was a legit shot and the ref should have administered a count on Asikainen.

You re wrong about the situation at the end of the 1st as well: Asikainens left hand seemed to connect either right with the sound of the bell or a split second after it, very difficult to tell, the ref obviously was of the opinion it had come after the bell which is why he didnt give sylvester a count. Logically he didnt deduct a point from Asikainen because the intention to throw the shot must still have originated inside the round, while the execution of the shot (in the refs eyes) came slightly after it, so in effect Asikainen didnt intentionally punch him after the round had ended, he had been in a fluent motion with the bell coming in between (or so the ref saw it)
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #4
chliJs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 850

dariusz asikainen...
chliJs is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackwurst
It shurely was no clean fight.
Sylvester hit Asikainen in the neck one time. It didn´t look like a hard punch though.
The referee schould have...
In the end I would say, bad referee
but the right winner.
Not an hard punch??? I can not belive that people is saying this?
Just, please re-watch it from a tape! About 10 seconds after the intentional foul Asikainen wobbled, when Sylvester did not land a punch! How can people say that Asikainen did lot lose his legs with that punch to the neck? And why do you think that Asikainen´s trainer Pekka Mäki asked of Asikainen "who am I?" in the roundpause? Don´t you think it was becouse the FACT that Asikainen was badly hurt of the intentional neck punch? He was badly hurt by an intentional foul and referee did NOTHING to it. He should had give Asikainen 5 minutes to recover. Now Asikainen got maybe 5 seconds and the ref did not even warn Sylvester, who intentionally hurt his opponent with a illeagal punch. It was no accident, anyone could see it.

Punches to the neck are very dangerous. That punch did not come to the back of the head (that is also dangerous), the punch came straight to the neck what is very weak and sensitive spot in humans body.

That punch took very much out of Asikainen and it put his whole healt in danger. Asikainen had to spend two nights after the bout in German hospital.

I think that Sylvester fought as good fight as he can fight. He does deserwe credit. But what if there would had been at least decent referee, who would had:
1. Counted to Sylvester in round one.
2. Gived Asikainen 2-5 minutes to recover from the intentional, dangerous foul in round 8.
3. Taken a point away from Sylvester the intentional, dangerous foul.

And possibly given Asikainen time to recover in round 11. from the thing when Sylvester pushed Asikainen´s head down and punched him to to canvas. The ref could had also taken a point of him.

Just think about it. With a decent referee:
Asikainen would had won the first round 10-8, that would had meant that he would had not had open up and go so hard for the KO later in the fight.
After the intentional fould he would had got his leags back and he would had most likely won the round 10-8, if the referee would had taken a point away from Sylvester, as he should had.
At this point Asikainen would had lead the fight clearly and he would have had his legs under him. The last 4 rounds would had been totally different. Sylvester would had had to attack, not Asikainen. The result could had been totally different.

Last edited by Toney; 06-26-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azim
Well, the fight was in Germany and the hometown boxer won, so it must be a robbery. Case closed.
Just watch the fight! And you can not think that thinks like these are OK for boxing? We need to get these things away from boxing and it does not happend if we just close the case after fights like this.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackwurst
I agree that the referee was a bad one but you can´t blame Sylvester or Sauerland for that. The referee did wrong for both sides...
I agree. Who knows, maybe Sauerland did pay something to Quartarone or maybe not. I don´t belive in it, I dont want to belive in it. I still hope that the EBU referees and judges are still not corrupted.

But Quartarone is a real bad referee or he had a terrible night. Asikainen had to pay of it with his title, unbeaten record, #4 ranking in the IBF world rankings... upcoming big moneyfights... and almoust with his healt.

The is no doubt about it: EBU should rule an immediate rematch. Thanks to the terrible referee this great fight was VERY doubful.

Last edited by Toney; 06-26-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
seldon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toney
He was badly hurt by an intentional foul and referee did NOTHING to it. He should had give Asikainen 5 minutes to recover. Now Asikainen got maybe 5 seconds and the ref did not even warn Sylvester, who intentionally hurt his opponent with a illeagal punch. It was no accident, anyone could see it.
Well, I think that's a bit of exaggaration. Referee did WARN Sylvester (but did not penalize). Plus, he did give Asikainen a little bit of time to get organised (haven't timed it, but maybe about 20 seconds). However, both actions were completely undermeasured.

I was sitting in the 1st row approx. 3 meters away from Asikainen's corner and I can tell that Asikainen was completely out when he returned to the corner after that round. Since that punch to the neck, Asikainen was slipping and stumbling constantly even without being hit. Yes, part of that was probably fatigue etc. but OTOH those signs of fatigue ONLY appeared directly after the illegal punch.

Watched from close-by, I would have actually thrown the towel in during the 10th round as the way Amin's legs acted looked as there was a potential brain haemorrhage. Luckily that was not the case.

Personally, I have no quarrel about the knockdowns in the 11th round. Both were legitimate enough although I have to say I thought (apparently mistakenly) that Amin was given a 8-count on that 1st trip to canvas (as he should have). Still I think there was about 8 seconds period from Asikainen going down 1st time to fight continuing so it did not necessarily mean a thing whether it was counted or not.
seldon71 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldon71
Well, I think that's a bit of exaggaration. Referee did WARN Sylvester (but did not penalize). Plus, he did give Asikainen a little bit of time to get organised (haven't timed it, but maybe about 20 seconds). However, both actions were completely undermeasured.

Personally, I have no quarrel about the knockdowns in the 11th round. Both were legitimate enough although I have to say I thought (apparently mistakenly) that Amin was given a 8-count on that 1st trip to canvas (as he should have). Still I think there was about 8 seconds period from Asikainen going down 1st time to fight continuing so it did not necessarily mean a thing whether it was counted or not.
I timed those moments. The rest time in round eight was about 22 seconds and in the 11th after the first "slip" 13 seconds, so more than a normal 8-count .
Toney is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict

Sorry guys, I've seen the rerun on MDR the next morning so I can't say anything about the 8th round...the kd in the 1st should have been counted AND the 1st kd in round 11 should have been counted too - it wasn't illegal...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The complaint WILL BE MADE and Asikainen´s manager honestly thinks that 3rd meeting will be mandated! Referee´s RETARDED actions made the fight turn up how it did, otherwise Sylvester might´ve been disqualified before the time it ended now. I sure hope they won´t have to call new purse bids then, ´cause there´s no way Sylvester would have the balls to come to Finland. And to Asikainen it does not matter since he knows it´s all his fight, with no crap referee or hasty fighting.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB
The complaint WILL BE MADE and Asikainen´s manager honestly thinks that 3rd meeting will be mandated! Referee´s RETARDED actions made the fight turn up how it did, otherwise Sylvester might´ve been disqualified before the time it ended now. I sure hope they won´t have to call new purse bids then, ´cause there´s no way Sylvester would have the balls to come to Finland. And to Asikainen it does not matter since he knows it´s all his fight, with no crap referee or hasty fighting.
...an there is no way that P3 will outbid Sauerland Event... no way Sylvester would have been DQed by a single punch (was it really thrown with bad intentions?)...
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Last time they only lost the bid by few thousands. So I´d say that being the only thing we can relate to - they can win the bid. And okay, let´s say not disqualified, more like DEFEATED.
VHB is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Question is:
Toney do you think Asikainen still stand a chance against Miranda or Taylor?
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Aavan meren tuolla puolen jossakin on maa
missä onnen kaukorantaan laine liplattaa
missä kukat kauneimmat luo aina loistettaan
siellä huolet huomisen saa jäädä unholaan

MrMagic is offline  Top