Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Question for you posters here, whats your earlist fight memory?

The reason I ask, is cos of some disrespectful shit I read here from new posters who have no respect for us old timers.
Fact of the matter is I have watched british boxing since the days of Kaylor vs Christie, I seen Azumah Nelson KO Pat Cowdell, I watched Herol Graham lose to Mike McCallum, I watched Benn v Eubank 1.

So I wanted to make a thread to know just what Im up against, I want to know what the influx of newbs know about their boxing, cos Im sick of new posters talking down to the old school posters.

So for the new posters that arrive here every day, I think there should be a thread where you present yourself to the regulars, & tell us your experiences of boxing, & why the regulars should respect you as a poster.
Its only fair, & I think all newbs should explain themselves on this thread before they think they can just walk over the regulars here who have put a lot of blood sweat & tears into nmaking ESB brit forum the best brit forum on the internet bar NONE.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Default Re: Question for you posters here, whats your earlist fight memory?

I guess I was more into Football in my earliest years, I guess my earliest memories of boxing stem from 1989ish? there maybe earlier ones but I damned if I can remember (Curse you Stella Artois!!!)

I can remember watching the obituary of Sugar Ray Robinson on the TV and the first Tyson Bruno fight from around that time. My Uncle has always been involved in boxing, training amatuers and suchlike, and I can remember seeing him working the corner in a bout on Grandstand once.

And I agree with Dunky, some noobs need to watch their words, some gobby ones entered the Classic section once and some damn fine posters just left cos they were fed up arguing with 12 year old retards whose earliest boxing memory was De La Hoya v Mayweather
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
The reason I ask, is cos of some disrespectful shit I read here from new posters who have no respect for us old timers.
Fact of the matter is I have watched british boxing since the days of Kaylor vs Christie, I seen Azumah Nelson KO Pat Cowdell, I watched Herol Graham lose to Mike McCallum, I watched Benn v Eubank 1.

So I wanted to make a thread to know just what Im up against, I want to know what the influx of newbs know about their boxing, cos Im sick of new posters talking down to the old school posters.

So for the new posters that arrive here every day, I think there should be a thread where you present yourself to the regulars, & tell us your experiences of boxing, & why the regulars should respect you as a poster.
Its only fair, & I think all newbs should explain themselves on this thread before they think they can just walk over the regulars here who have put a lot of blood sweat & tears into nmaking ESB brit forum the best brit forum on the internet bar NONE.

Chillout dude.

I was here when British ESB was in it's true prime when the site was up and down like a yo yo thanks to *****ie ******.

By the way i first started following the sport propely 13 years ago.

Before that i only watched a couple of McGuigan, Tyson, Benn, Eubank etc fights with my dad.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson - Bruno 1996...My Uncle was a big fan of Tyson...at that point not too many people we knew had SKY and it was a big family event of sorts going up to watch the fight. Didn't last long...I was fascinated by Tyson though when everybody else my age was raving about Hamed.

I realise this thread is for newbies having read it but ah well
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnutz

Chillout dude.

I was here when British ESB was in it's true prime when the site was up and down like a yo yo thanks to *****ie ******.

By the way i first started following the sport propely 13 years ago.

Before that i only watched a couple of McGuigan, Tyson, Benn, Eubank etc fights with my dad.
You think I was talking about you? dont flatter yourself Tuffnutz!

I have been moaning about newbs here for ages my man, dont take it personally. In fact, I like your posts, I even defended your ass when some kung fu guy got ghetto on my ass cos i laughed when Dickson gave you the finger

jeez, everyone thinks I am such a bad boy, but Im a good boy really.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
You think I was talking about you? dont flatter yourself Tuffnutz!

I have been moaning about newbs here for ages my man, dont take it personally. In fact, I like your posts, I even defended your ass when some kung fu guy got ghetto on my ass cos i laughed when Dickson gave you the finger

jeez, everyone thinks I am such a bad boy, but Im a good boy really.
Hey the world revolves around my arse.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict

vCash: 622

tyson. like most others, staying awake to watch big frank get the granny beat out of him.....tyson had an aura, something that made his fights must see's...
stuey is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't post much here...but my earliest Boxing memory was of Salvatore Burruni giving Aussie Rocky Gatelari a caning in a World Title fight.... Think I was about 12 years old...

Been following Boxing ever since
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

8.32am on a saturday morning, jeez Dunky you post some funny hours, that's dead to the world time!!!

Don't know if I class as a newbie but since you once refused to address me until I'd "proved myself" suppose I'd better anyway. My earliest fight memory is watching Lewis-Bruno at 1.30am on a sunday morning in 1993. Think I was just turned 11 at the time and my old man let me stay up way past my usual bedtime to watch it. He was cheering on the old favourite Bruno. I, for no logical reason other than the fact that he was the world champion and the only one I'd heard of (believe it or not) was supporting Lewis.

The fight that really got me into the sport, tragic ending notwithstanding, was Benn-McClellan in Feb 1995. I was 12 at the time and that was just an awesome brawl with everything guys, skill, resilience and some serious banging power! Have been a fan ever since to the extent that I quite frequently write previews of big matches involving British fighters for a relatively new website pound4pound.com, which I got into via chatting to the Editor Bret "Threat" Newton on the Boxing Monthly guestbook.

Favourite fighters atm include David Haye, Ricky Hatton, Clinton Woods, Kelly Pavlik, Manny Pac, Israel Vazquez.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
slapbangwhallop
The Sweet Scientist
East Side Guru

First boxing memory - probably being allowed to stay up til all hours listening to big fights on the radio with the brothers and ould fella - early 80's

First TV memory - McGuigan v Juan La Porte mid 80's - the fight that really got me into the sport was the Pedroza fight

First live boxing - watching older brothers fighting in amatuer shows probably mid 80's

First live pro show - its was not until 1996 that I saw my first pro bout (just shows you the state of Irish pro boxing during that period) it was the McCullough v Bueno fight but I was really there to see Vinny Feeney
slapbangwhallop is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
The Exile
FUBAR
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

My earliest memory of boxing was watching Tyson give Berbick the rubber leg treatment. My old man had got me out of bed to watch it telling me that i was witnessing history, been hooked on the sport ever since.
The Exile is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

My first memory of watching a fight is Ali-Spinks (can't remember which one) when I was 9 but seeing as Ali was everywhere at the time I wouldn't say that made me a 'boxing fan' at that point.

The first fights I REALLY remember watching and taking real interest in are Minter-Antufermo and Jim Watt-Charlie Nash in 1980. The Minter fight was the first time I'd seen a Brit fight for a world title in the glitz of America and it really captured mt imagination. The Watt-Nash fight was just massive domesically (I think a lot of people forget just how huge this fight was).

The boxers that really got me into the sport and confrmed my interest were the likes of Kaylor, Sibson, Mittee, (pre Curry) Honeyghan etc domestically because you could watch them fighting live on BBC1 on Sportsnight Wednesday nights and the obvious 'Fab Four' of Hagler, Leonard, Duran and Hearns in the USA.

Its one of the reasons I tend to bristle when people lump all the people who rate Hatton togther as know nothing football fans who've only been into boxing for 5 minutes

Last edited by GazOC; 03-15-2008 at 08:06 AM.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
dwilson

vCash:

My earliest fight memory was not an actual fight but a dat when Erroll Bomber Graham came to our school years ago. I could not believe how well muscled and built he was, I was only a barn but that memory stuck with me.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO
8.32am on a saturday morning, jeez Dunky you post some funny hours, that's dead to the world time!!!

Don't know if I class as a newbie but since you once refused to address me until I'd "proved myself" suppose I'd better anyway. My earliest fight memory is watching Lewis-Bruno at 1.30am on a sunday morning in 1993. Think I was just turned 11 at the time and my old man let me stay up way past my usual bedtime to watch it. He was cheering on the old favourite Bruno. I, for no logical reason other than the fact that he was the world champion and the only one I'd heard of (believe it or not) was supporting Lewis.

The fight that really got me into the sport, tragic ending notwithstanding, was Benn-McClellan in Feb 1995. I was 12 at the time and that was just an awesome brawl with everything guys, skill, resilience and some serious banging power! Have been a fan ever since to the extent that I quite frequently write previews of big matches involving British fighters for a relatively new website pound4pound.com, which I got into via chatting to the Editor Bret "Threat" Newton on the Boxing Monthly guestbook.

Favourite fighters atm include David Haye, Ricky Hatton, Clinton Woods, Kelly Pavlik, Manny Pac, Israel Vazquez.
aah its just banter about newbs, honest! Most of the time I just pick on newbs cos its good for a laugh, I dont really hate new posters! However, some do annoy me that walk in & disrespect all the regulars. I know I keep some strange hours, but Im an insomniac, if that helps explain anything!
Im offski from ESB soon enough anyway TKO my good man, im just waiting for AAA vs Guzman, & then im calling it quits. been posting a long time, & some time off is long overdue, & then you newbs can take over the place once & for all
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Ali Frazier 1

Not a bad start.
LiamE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum