Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Aaron Pryor do in today's Junior Welterweight Division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
Aaron would be dominate and alhtough i think he would beat him, he would have problems with Junior Witter's okward style. Hell, Witter even gave peak Judah fits.
Fits with what, fouls? Witter ran as if it was a 10 000 meter track meet. He was comprehensively beaten, by 7 and 8 points on two cards and was roundly criticised for a most limp effort. Ineffectual and pitiful were two words used by ringside scribes to describe his efforts.

Witter isn't in the class of Pryor, sound win for the Hawk.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 AM   #17
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Fits with what, fouls? Witter ran as if it was a 10 000 meter track meet. He was comprehensively beaten, by 7 and 8 points on two cards and was roundly criticised for a most limp effort. Ineffectual and pitiful were two words used by ringside scribes to describe his efforts.

Witter isn't in the class of Pryor, sound win for the Hawk.
Witter was doing well early until Judah adjusted to his style.

Styles makes fights and this particular one would cause Pryor problems, as well as anyone. Witter is not in the class of Pryor? Right, but Iran Barkley was not in the class of Thomas Hearns and you seen the result there. Douglas was not in the class of Tyson. Purity was not in the class of Klitscho. Tarver or Glen Johnson was not in the class of Jones ect. Im just proving points, this fight would not turn out like those and i would favor Pryor in this fight, but Witter would make him think.

If this question was asked about 10 years ago. Then i would give a Meldrick Taylor, Oscar De La Hoya, or Pernell Whitaker a shot at upsetting pryor. Koysta Tsyzu would also be alive underdog.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
Witter was doing well early until Judah adjusted to his style.
Zab controlled the fight from the outset.

Quote:
Styles makes fights and this particular one would cause Pryor problems, as well as anyone.
Problems catching him and putting him away - yes. Trouble is Witter would lose round after round causing such "problems".

Quote:
Witter is not in the class of Pryor? Right, but Iran Barkley was not in the class of Thomas Hearns and you seen the result there.
My man Tommy could be vulnerable at 160 against strong hard hitting rugged fighters, and was on the slide as well. Pryor has a superb chin to counter lucky or freak punches and is not being assessed past his prime here.

Quote:
Douglas was not in the class of Tyson.
A great performance on the perfect night to house it. We are talking prime Pryor. For many years he performed about to the best of his abilities.

Quote:
Purity was not in the class of Klitscho.
Wlad has a china chin.

Quote:
Tarver or Glen Johnson was not in the class of Jones ect.
Jones peak was gone, like Holmes vs Spinks yada yada. Again who's envisioning faded fighters?

Quote:
Im just proving points, this fight would not turn out like those and i would favor Pryor in this fight, but Witter would make him think.
Well why bring the shyte up?

Any boxer makes another think.

Quote:
If this question was asked about 10 years ago. Then i would give a Meldrick Taylor, Oscar De La Hoya, or Pernell Whitaker a shot at upsetting pryor. Koysta Tsyzu would also be alive underdog.
Totally agree, except for your description of "underdog". At least two of them deserve to be even money IMO. I'd be picking Whitaker TBH.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #19
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Hatton would be the only one that would be a threat to Pryor at the weight. That, my friends, would be a hell of a fight.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052
Hatton would be the only one that would be a threat to Pryor at the weight. That, my friends, would be a hell of a fight.
co-sign.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #21
MGUNZ48
MGunz
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Ricky Hatton beats Aaron Pyor. Whats you see is what you get with Pryor, which is a whole lot of aggression and workrate and a decent dig, but not an intelligent boxing brain. I see Pryor knocking Rees out easy, having a war with Torres before TKOing him late, and over powering and out working Junior Witter over 12. Hatton is above the other title holders at 140. He can fight going forward, but can box on the back foot and use ring smarts aswel. Thats is what will get the better of Hawk.

Ricky Hatton UD Aaron Pryor.
As much as I like Ricky he could not stand up to the work rate of Pyor. He is amuch better boxer than he was given credit for. look at both Argelluo fights. Who by the way Pyor has a much better chin than Ricky. Could Ricky have took the shots Argelluo laid on Pryor? Mayweather could beat Pyor at 140. That would be about it. Hatton wrestles too much on inside, Pyor would let his hands go in close, late round tko for Pyor.
MGUNZ48 is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Pryor was a true beast im not sure how anyone from 140 could even give him a close fight let alone win.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #23
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

140 is pretty weak now.

I think matching him up with the division 3 to 5 years ago would be more interesting with guys like Tszyu and Mayweather in the picture.

I like Pryor over all of them, even though I think Pryor is historically overrated.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #24
Icemmann
Breakin it down.
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

If Hatton think Mayweather can crack he'd be in for a rude awakening facing Pryor
Icemmann is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #25
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGUNZ48
As much as I like Ricky he could not stand up to the work rate of Pyor. He is amuch better boxer than he was given credit for. look at both Argelluo fights. Who by the way Pyor has a much better chin than Ricky. Could Ricky have took the shots Argelluo laid on Pryor? Mayweather could beat Pyor at 140. That would be about it. Hatton wrestles too much on inside, Pyor would let his hands go in close, late round tko for Pyor.
Hatton is tough he can take a punch, he walked into a PBF hook but he also took solid straight rights from Kostya Tszyu, who hit extremely hard, arguably a lot harder than Floyd Mayweather...
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Hatton is tough he can take a punch, he walked into a PBF hook but he also took solid straight rights from Kostya Tszyu, who hit extremely hard, arguably a lot harder than Floyd Mayweather...
i dont think u will find anyone trying to make an argument that mayweather was a bigger puncher than zoo. but as for your original statement that hatton beats pryor, i personally dont see it. pryor may be the best head to head fighter at 140 ever

Last edited by Jack; 04-07-2007 at 05:36 PM.
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #27
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Pryor sometimes gets over rated. I think that is partially due to the fact that boxing fans both then and now see Alexis Arguello as a legend in the ring, and a great man outside of it. That being said, nobody at 140 today could beat Pryor; not even Hook and Hold Hatton. As one poster already mentioned one need only watch Arguello/Pryor one to see that. Little Ricky could not dish that shit out like AA did, nor could he take it like Pryor did.

Boo
booradley is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #28
RafaelGonzal
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Who is there that would present a challenge?

no one he would clean up.
RafaelGonzal is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #29
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A cakewalk for Aaron Pryor......
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #30
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Ricky Hatton beats Aaron Pyor. Whats you see is what you get with Pryor, which is a whole lot of aggression and workrate and a decent dig, but not an intelligent boxing brain. I see Pryor knocking Rees out easy, having a war with Torres before TKOing him late, and over powering and out working Junior Witter over 12. Hatton is above the other title holders at 140. He can fight going forward, but can box on the back foot and use ring smarts aswel. Thats is what will get the better of Hawk.

Ricky Hatton UD Aaron Pryor.
Good post.

Gave me a good laugh.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum