Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #61
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
What's pathetic is the constant negative jibs about him.

You and Scurla are obsessed by him, has he shagged any of your birds or something?

I bet it nearly killed you to see him easily beat the previously undefeated Kessler who you probably predicted to win back in November.
Ok lets ignore the rest of your post and talk about the boxing part.

Im not a bandwagoner.Im not about to jump on the next big thing or the latest fad just because Joe beat Kessler.Great win no question but it took Joe 10 years to establish his dominance at 68 when his by far been the most talented man at the weight and that includes when Sven was the number 1. His a very talented fighter no question but im hardly going to suddenly forget those great nights in watching him beat up the Pudwills Jiminez`s and Mcyntyres of this world.

Its taken him 10 years to achieve what David Haye has done in half as many fights and im supposed to give him some kudos just because he beat Kessler? Was you singing that same tune when Joe was making those bullshit defences of the WBO too? Or was you a fan of another sport back then?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #62
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Scurra, you can't just accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being a newcomer to boxing and think that it automatically settles the argument in your favour...
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #63
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Scurra, you can't just accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being a newcomer to boxing and think that it automatically settles the argument in your favour...
Are you skim reading again?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #64
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Scurra, you can't just accuse everybody who disagrees with you of being a newcomer to boxing and think that it automatically settles the argument in your favour...
Of course i can otherwise he wouldnt have made such a childish retort. Either hit me some facts, come construtive or get shown up as another fan boy. Too many posters are fickle around here. Everyone is so quick to simply jump on the next big thing.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #65
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Ok lets ignore the rest of your post and talk about the boxing part.

Im not a bandwagoner.Im not about to jump on the next big thing or the latest fad just because Joe beat Kessler.Great win no question but it took Joe 10 years to establish his dominance at 68 when his by far been the most talented man at the weight and that includes when Sven was the number 1. His a very talented fighter no question but im hardly going to suddenly forget those great nights in watching him beat up the Pudwills Jiminez`s and Mcyntyres of this world.

Its taken him 10 years to achieve what David Haye has done in half as many fights and im supposed to give him some kudos just because he beat Kessler? Was you singing that same tune when Joe was making those bullshit defences of the WBO too? Or was you a fan of another sport back then?
Firstly I've followed Joe since even before the Mark Delaney fight and have followed boxing since the late 80's watching Sunday morning highlights of Tyson.

It was frustrating to see those shit defences yes because it was clear he had the talent to fight the best in the world but who the hell could have have fought?

As we all know Hopkins effectively backed out at the last minute after all the verbal agreements, doubling the purse offer.

Toney had moved on from 168 by then as had Jones.

Ottke (what a joke) wanted nothing to do with Calzaghe as we all know would have got taken apart.

The only question mark is the Glen Johnson one. The reasons are justified however, no way did he duck Johnson his head was ****ed and the hand injuries weren't helping.

He would have clearly beat Johnson anyway so no chance did he duck him.

He should have fought in America sooner though I'll give you that.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #66
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
Firstly I've followed Joe since even before the Mark Delaney fight and have followed boxing since the late 80's watching Sunday morning highlights of Tyson.

It was frustrating to see those shit defences yes because it was clear he had the talent to fight the best in the world but who the hell could have have fought?

As we all know Hopkins effectively backed out at the last minute after all the verbal agreements, doubling the purse offer.

Toney had moved on from 168 by then as had Jones.

Ottke (what a joke) wanted nothing to do with Calzaghe as we all know would have got taken apart.

The only question mark is the Glen Johnson one. The reasons are justified however, no way did he duck Johnson his head was ****ed and the hand injuries weren't helping.

He would have clearly beat Johnson anyway so no chance did he duck him.

He should have fought in America sooner though I'll give you that.
Regardless of how shit the fighters were he should have at least stamped his authority on his own division by cleaning up the belts long ago. He also did a lot of talking about moving up to 175 but never did, probably because a certain Mr Jones lay in wait.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #67
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Aha ok now where talking!

Ok you say WHO should he have fought but the bottom line is Joe needed exposure back then. This guys name was linked to almost everyone from 60 to 75. He had bouts with US names like Telesco Tate and Joppy fall through. He had mooted bouts with an unbeaten Eastman, a prime Hopkins Tito Simon Woods Tarver all fall through or fail to occur.He said he couldnt make 68 had 2 fights scheduled with Johnson at 75 and pulled out of both twice, prompting Lacy to refuse to fight Joe unless there was a bonus paid upfront. Lo and behold 3 years after the Johnson farce his still at 68?!

Last edited by Grae Foxx; 04-05-2007 at 04:39 PM.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #68
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 419
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Scurlas hated Joe for years, its best to just scroll down past his post on a JC thread...

Joe could have fought a few fighters that owuld have improved his resume, but nobody too special.

Even if he got a unification against Siaca, Beyer or Lucas would that have gained the same attention as his win over Lacy? Nah course it wouldnt.

Calzaghe fought alot of no hopers but and some decent world rated fighters thrown into the mix aswel, and the fact is HE did get that big unification fight, he is on HBO,he is undisputed champion and is fighting the big name in America, all stuff Scurla said would never happen...
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #69
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Scurlas hated Joe for years, its best to just scroll down past his post on a JC thread...

Joe could have fought a few fighters that owuld have improved his resume, but nobody too special.

Even if he got a unification against Siaca, Beyer or Lucas would that have gained the same attention as his win over Lacy? Nah course it wouldnt.

Calzaghe fought alot of no hopers but and some decent world rated fighters thrown into the mix aswel, and the fact is HE did get that big unification fight, he is on HBO,he is undisputed champion and is fighting the big name in America, all stuff Scurla said would never happen...
So you're saying Joe knew he would get better exposure from unifications years down the line? I know you guys think he's special but I didn't think it stretched to predicting the future.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #70
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 419
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
So you're saying Joe knew he would get better exposure from unifications years down the line? I know you guys think he's special but I didn't think it stretched to predicting the future.
i dont beleive for a second Joe shied away from anyone. Im just saying he didnt fight those guys, but it hasnt done him any harm, some fighters get their dues and big fights at the tail end of their careers.

Bernard Hopkins would be a good example to prove my point.
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #71
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Of course i can otherwise he wouldnt have made such a childish retort. Either hit me some facts, come construtive or get shown up as another fan boy. Too many posters are fickle around here. Everyone is so quick to simply jump on the next big thing.
The 'shagged your bird' bit was childish, but you're still using that 'newbie' tactic a hell of lot at the monent.

The facts (as I see them) are that pretty much all the accusations you can level at Calzaghes 168 reign you can level at Hopkins 160 reign. Both defended against a mixed bunch and didn't step up in weight for the bigger challenges.

As for the Tito fight, lets not row over who is lying...its either ****** or King and probably both. Titi was too small and too fragile in any case for a tilt at 168.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #72
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Are you skim reading again?
Sorry I didn't catch that!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #73
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
i dont beleive for a second Joe shied away from anyone. Im just saying he didnt fight those guys, but it hasnt done him any harm, some fighters get their dues and big fights at the tail end of their careers.

Bernard Hopkins would be a good example to prove my point.
I disagree, so you think making all those pointless defences didn't do him any harm? You think constantly talking about a move to 175 but never following through did him no harm? You think expecting the likes of Jones & Hopkins to come to Wales to fight for his bauble did him no harm?

Lets face it Joe was happy making his hometown defences, no harm in that, but lets not retrospectively make him a legend.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #74
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 683
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Ill never understand people who spent so much of their time bashing fighters they dislike on forums.

"It took Joe 10 years to where Haye is now" blah blah from the broken record that is scurla.

Im a big fan of Hopkins, Calzaghe and Haye but i just cant understand this crusade against Calzaghe people are obsessed with.

The man his never lost a fight and beat many class operators before his unification fights with Lacy and Kessler. Ie Eubank, Brewer, Shieka, Mitchell, Woodhall, Reid...

He DID NOT get embarrased by an ancient Carl Thompson or lose all his titles to Jermain Taylor.
Diablo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #75
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
The 'shagged your bird' bit was childish, but you're still using that 'newbie' tactic a hell of lot at the monent.

The facts (as I see them) are that pretty much all the accusations you can level at Calzaghes 168 reign you can level at Hopkins 160 reign. Both defended against a mixed bunch and didn't step up in weight for the bigger challenges.

As for the Tito fight, lets not row over who is lying...its either ****** or King and probably both. Titi was too small and too fragile in any case for a tilt at 168.
Agreed. BUT Joe made no attempt to unifiy as Hop did and he made no attempt to stamp his authority over 68. His was just another case of right time right place. I just think its rather backwards how everyone seems to be ready to jump on board the bandwagon and instantly forget the past as though it has no bearing on the future.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013