Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #16
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Journeyman defined for those who don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Very well,

Go with whatever definition you're most comfortable with. My point, was that the term is often misused on this forum. Weather you're talking about Boxrec's definition, or Oxford's version, neither are accurate descriptions for fighters who were top 10 rated challengers during the 1970's.

Hopfully we can concur on that note....
Well, I would generally agree with that but I think "journeyman" is a broad enough category (good skilled fighter who is nothing outstanding) that it would include some rated fighters.

Calling Chuck Wepner a "journeyman", for example, actually seems rather generous to Chuck.

As for Jimmy Braddock, I think journeyman is an accurate description, even though he was champ.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #17
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Journeyman defined for those who don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Calling Chuck Wepner a "journeyman", for example, actually seems rather generous to Chuck.

Seriously though?

Quote:
As for Jimmy Braddock, I think journeyman is an accurate description, even though he was champ.
#1 at LHW...Heavyweight Champion of the world...an astonishing performance v Joe Louis...wins over Farr, Baer, John Henry Lewis...calling him a jounreyman seems a really odd thing to do to me.

Of course he lost fights. He also reached the absolute pinnacle of professional sports and was knocked of that perch by arugably the best practitioner of that profession ever to grace the weight class.
McGrain is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum