Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Enzo Calzaghes 'plan' to beat David Haye...

OK, so I have read Enzo Calzaghes attempts at dismissing David Hayes win as nothing more than a "lucky punch" & how if Maccarinelli followed Enzos 'supergameplan' then he would have won this fight easily.

So I ask you brit ESB'ers, what do you think this 'cunning plan' was to beat David Haye? Cos Enzo Calzaghe aint telling.

Lets hear it, & its a serious question. Put yourself in Enzo Calzaghes shoes for a minute, & tell us what strategy you would have implemented to nullify Haye & win the fight.
& I mean it, its a serious question. Feel free to joke if you wish, but Im after some serious answers more than anything.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Enzo Calzaghes 'plan' to beat David Haye...

His plan was to get enzo to stick his chin out and let the weak punching haye hit it. lol

Jokes aside i think he thought haye would be weight drained, so he planned to have enzo start at a quick pace and work of the jab and try and outbox haye. The as haye got tired further into the fight get enzo to step the pace up higher and go for the ko.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

looking back at it now, i think the night may have gotten the best of maccrennli i'm not suggesting he'd have beaten haye if he was in a better frame of mind but it couldv lasted more rounds, i think calzaghe sr was banking on haye to run out of steam after 5 rounds.
faisal is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

If Enzo had got 4-5 rounds under his belt he would have faired much better.

But at the end of the day he was Ko'd by the better man on the night.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
His plan was to get enzo to stick his chin out and let the weak punching haye hit it. lol

Jokes aside i think he thought haye would be weight drained, so he planned to have enzo start at a quick pace and work of the jab and try and outbox haye. The as haye got tired further into the fight get enzo to step the pace up higher and go for the ko.
To be honest if I was Enzo Calzaghe, I would have been telling Enzo Macarinelli to 'do a Hatton' get inside early, grab maul & push Haye onto the ropes not allowing him the leverage to launch his hayemakers. Make the fight dirty as hell, & sap a weight drained Hayes leg strength by constantly pushing him back before launching an assault in the second half of the fight.

Haye was the bigger man, with the faster hands, if Enzo Calzaghe told Maccarinelli to stay on the outside & outbox the faster man, I think that would have been tactical suicide, cos he would be fighting Hayes fight.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
To be honest if I was Enzo Calzaghe, I would have been telling Enzo Macarinelli to 'do a Hatton' get inside early, grab maul & push Haye onto the ropes not allowing him the leverage to launch his hayemakers. Make the fight dirty as hell, & sap a weight drained Hayes leg strength by constantly pushing him back before launching an assault in the second half of the fight.

Haye was the bigger man, with the faster hands, if Enzo Calzaghe told Maccarinelli to stay on the outside, I think that would have been tactical suicide, cos he would be fighting Hayes fight.
I honestly think that enzo thought his man was quicker and a better boxer, to be fair after seeing alot of interviews with im it is hard to tell if he is serious or just ****ing mental.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
I honestly think that enzo thought his man was quicker and a better boxer, to be fair after seeing alot of interviews with im it is hard to tell if he is serious or just ****ing mental.

I know, & I agree with you. to be honest just by seeing clips of him training all his fighters I think he trains them all the same way as Joe Calzaghe, & he doesnt realise that guys like Maccarinelli etc just dont have the natural talent his own son has.
Its one thing asking Joe Calzaghe to outbox a a top class opponent, cos Joe Calzaghe has a gift. Hes a natural great fighter.
The same cant be said for the rest in his stable though, & maybe Enzo Calzaghe expects too much from them.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

Giving Macca a boxing brain will put him in good stead and going in against a big puncher like Dave Haye who has faded late in past fights, it is the right plan.

Enzo Macc is a much better boxer now he trains with The Calzaghe's. He doesnt just rely soley on big rights and body shots, he can work in off the jab. Calzaghe has been good for him overrall, it certainly isnt any fault of Enzo Calzaghe that Maccarinelli got knocked out.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty

I know, & I agree with you. to be honest just by seeing clips of him training all his fighters I think he trains them all the same way as Joe Calzaghe, & he doesnt realise that guys like Maccarinelli etc just dont have the natural talent his own son has.
Its one thing asking Joe Calzaghe to outbox a a top class opponent, cos Joe Calzaghe has a gift. Hes a natural great fighter.
The same cant be said for the rest in his stable though, & maybe Enzo Calzaghe expects too much from them.
Lets just hope he never gets rees a fight with mayweather, go on gavin your faster than that chump out box him
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

Some of the greatest geniuses of all time were complete fruitcakes y'know!
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

What "gameplan"? The gameplan according to Weasel Face before the fight was based on the fact that Mac was "twice as fast", "hits harder", the "better boxer" and that Mac also had the better stamina and chin.

If you are faster, more skilled, fitter, more prepared, have a better chin, better ring craft, a better mentality and you hit harder than your opponent, then what ****ing plan do you need? None. You turn up and you win by virtue of being better in every relevant department.

The "plan" was to do what Enzo Mac always does. Jab well, throw nice hard 1-2's, look for the big left hook or over hand right and when the man covers up work the body and yet don't blaze away. Maintain constant and yet controlled pressure without burning yourself out. He always boxes the same. Upright, good jab, good 1-2 and likes to throw the left hook.

Well he jabbed and he threw the left and he looked for 1-2's, he also went to the body when in close. In fact considering how short the fight was he did everything that Mac does in most of his fights.

Problem was that Haye has better reactions and is faster. Haye timed the jabs and avoided almost all of them, he had Mac hitting air and he was the faster, stronger man with more power.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

He also says he has only seen Hopkins box once and he 'knows' how to beat him... must be coz he's trainer of the year ite'.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #13
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
He also says he has only seen Hopkins box once and he 'knows' how to beat him... must be coz he's trainer of the year ite'.

So you are doubting Enzo's ability to come up with a master plan to beat Hopkins?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
So you are doubting Enzo's ability to come up with a master plan to beat Hopkins?
He's believing his own hype if he thinks he can out wit a vesatile fighter like Hopkins based on watching one fight. Hopkins is going to beat Joe Calzaghe.... If the Zagster beats Hopkins I think he should retire as the best fighter from these shores for many years.. maybe ever. Perhaps a Froch fight b4 he says ta-ta.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
I am doubting enzo's abiity to come up with a plan, i just think joe beats him on talent.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum