Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Instances where...

two boxers who were facing each other for the title trained at the same gym in the lead upto the bout

The reason I ask is because i currently reading the (very good BTW) book about Johnny Owen called the "The Big If" and I noticed that
Zarate and Pintor trained at the same gym (Cuyo Hernandez' Atlas gym) in the lead upto the bout.

I was wondering if this has happened previously
Nemesis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300
Default Re: Instances where...

Tyson v Ruddock 1.. Both fighters trained for the final 3 weeks at Johnny Toccos gym in Las Vegas.. Ruddock had a timeslot in the morning to mid day then Tyson would train from 12.30 to 3.. But one day Tyson turned up early and was asked to leave by Tocco even though it was Tysons local gym and had been for years.. Johnny was trying to be completely fair and show no sign of being partial to one camp or another.. Mike never trained there again.. It was a show of Primadonna that morally strict Tocco wouldn't abide.. Ruddock was a guest Tocco offered and his money was every bit as green as Tysons.. Mike deep down probably regrets that day , particularly after Tocco passed away in 1998... Mike had to realise he was not god.. but just a man who was an incredible fighter at the top of his game in his era.. Tyson dropped by years later to visit Johnny, i guess after years in jail he must have thought hard on things in his past.. He couldn't go back then though... quite a sad tale..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
Tyson v Ruddock 1.. Both fighters trained for the final 3 weeks at Johnny Toccos gym in Las Vegas.. Ruddock had a timeslot in the morning to mid day then Tyson would train from 12.30 to 3.. But one day Tyson turned up early and was asked to leave by Tocco even though it was Tysons local gym and had been for years.. Johnny was trying to be completely fair and show no sign of being partial to one camp or another.. Mike never trained there again.. It was a show of Primadonna that morally strict Tocco wouldn't abide.. Ruddock was a guest Tocco offered and his money was every bit as green as Tysons.. Mike deep down probably regrets that day , particularly after Tocco passed away in 1998... Mike had to realise he was not god.. but just a man who was an incredible fighter at the top of his game in his era.. Tyson dropped by years later to visit Johnny, i guess after years in jail he must have thought hard on things in his past.. He couldn't go back then though... quite a sad tale..

interesting BC, as ever.
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

As i recall Ali And Foremam had different time slots at the same Gym in Zaire

Of Course Ali and Ellis had had Spared for years together before their match Albeit with no title on the line
AREA 53 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum