Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #31
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

It's just as "genuine" as any of the others, which is the point

They are all corrupt as ****.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #32
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

All he needs to do now is capture the GBU, GBF and the CISBB titles and he's unified 5 titles.

"Dirty" Derry Matthews: Hall of Famer~!
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #33
dwilson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

To be honest I do not take much interest in which belt a fighter holds. Look at the champs we have right now, not all the WBC champs can be called the best in the division and not all the WBO champs can be called the weakest.

Fact is that with the current four main governing bodies we hardly ever find out who is the real world champion and best in the division. Even the Ring belt seems bullshit and is based on popularity.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #34
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

I remember when Hatton unified the WBU and the IBU when he fought Steven Smith. Im sure he still counts it as a world title belt as he does the WBU. Anyone here remember Anthony Farnells tears of joy when he won the WBU? What a sight that was to behold.

Logically only the IBO rankings make sense as there based on a points scoring system depending on a fighters wins and losses. BUT the belt ultimately is meaningless and there champions are generally a joke in comparison to REAL champsions at there weight. Jawaid Khaliq and Serio Martinez being examples.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #35
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
yup WBF , WBO , WBU , WBC all useless...........
Theres also a WBE title or was at least.They changed names and became the WBS and Mitch Green was there heavyweight WORLD CHAMP. I recall Glen Johnson paying a sanctioning fee for there title too..

Furthermore the chap Mitch fought was called Danny Wofford who had a record of 17-101-2 (10ko's). Mitch was 45. Now if thats not a joke i dont know what is. I dont think they even have a rankings system. Still there only 1 down from the WBU and WBF.Literally anyone can qualify for there intercontinenal belts.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #36
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The above is a link to there website. They dont even have enough money to pay for there own hosting and use Tripod as a free solution. There should be a law against this kind of crap.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #37
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Theres also a WBE title or was at least.They changed names and became the WBS and Mitch Green was there heavyweight WORLD CHAMP. I recall Glen Johnson paying a sanctioning fee for there title too..

Furthermore the chap Mitch fought was called Danny Wofford who had a record of 17-101-2 (10ko's). Mitch was 45. Now if thats not a joke i dont know what is. I dont think they even have a rankings system. Still there only 1 down from the WBU and WBF.Literally anyone can qualify for there intercontinenal belts.
I assume there's an IBE title as well? If so, I'm forming that GBE and awarding the belt to the winner of Peter Buckley VS Carl Allen.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Havent got a clue mate. But anyone can form a sanctioning body and demand a fee for there title its that easy. Im surprised there isnt a federal body that prevent this kind of madness.

The WBU though were based in a cottage in Norwich. I dont even know where they even sprang from.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #39
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
I assume there's an IBE title as well? If so, I'm forming that GBE and awarding the belt to the winner of Peter Buckley VS Carl Allen.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #40
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

The middle letter clearly has to be B.
Options for the first letter: I and W
Options for the last letter: A, C, F, O and U

That means 2*5=10 possibilities for sensible names.

Maybe you could use G for global as a first letter and E for empire as a third letter which increases the number of possibilities to 18.

There is obviously room for more sanctioning bodies.
mike464 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #41
hide
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 178
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The above is a link to there website. They dont even have enough money to pay for there own hosting and use Tripod as a free solution. There should be a law against this kind of crap.

you couldnt make this shit up! that is unbelievable
hide is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #42
rooq
...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

my personal favourite is the GBU. their champions and rankings amuse me somewhat because they have a complete unknown as the world champion, and then they list genuine world class fighters as top ten contenders for the title, so for welterweights you have...

World Champion Ilian Ares / Ploetnikov (Ukr)
Intercontinal Champion Vacant
America's Champion David Jackson (USA)

1 Floyd Mayweather USA
2 Miguel Angel Cotto P.R.
3 Shane Mosley USA
4 Paul Williams USA
5 Kermit Cintron P.R.
6 Antonio Margarito Mexico
7 Joshua Clottey Ghana
8 Isaac Hlatswayo South Africa
9 Alfonso Gomez Mexico
10 Andre Berto USA
rooq is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #43
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
my personal favourite is the GBU. their champions and rankings amuse me somewhat because they have a complete unknown as the world champion, and then they list genuine world class fighters as top ten contenders for the title, so for welterweights you have...

World Champion Ilian Ares / Ploetnikov (Ukr)
Intercontinal Champion Vacant
America's Champion David Jackson (USA)

1 Floyd Mayweather USA
2 Miguel Angel Cotto P.R.
3 Shane Mosley USA
4 Paul Williams USA
5 Kermit Cintron P.R.
6 Antonio Margarito Mexico
7 Joshua Clottey Ghana
8 Isaac Hlatswayo South Africa
9 Alfonso Gomez Mexico
10 Andre Berto USA
Is the Ploetnikov-Mayweather fight going to purse bids?!
mike464 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #44
rooq
...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
Is the Ploetnikov-Mayweather fight going to purse bids?!
yep, i believe mayweathers been calling out ploetnikov for a while. he thinks the champ is ducking him.
rooq is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #45
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Derry to try "unifying" the WBF and WBU...

Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013