Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jiro Watanabe vs Nana Konadu

This fight never went down, but had it, how do you see it going?

Would Konadu's height, reach, movement, and active jab allow him to outbox Watanabe, or would Jiro's left straight land find a home on Konadu's chin? I'm leaning toward the latter, though he'd not likely be outboxing him for many portions of the fight. I think he'd land the bigger shots though, and hurt Konadu more than the other way around. I see him taking Nana out around the 8th when he follows up a landed straight left with a finishing barrage.

In fact, depending on how much of a groove he allows Konadu to get into, he may take him out earlier if he can hurt him early.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Jiro Watanabe vs Nana Konadu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
This fight never went down, but had it, how do you see it going?

Would Konadu's height, reach, movement, and active jab allow him to outbox Watanabe, or would Jiro's left straight land find a home on Konadu's chin? I'm leaning toward the latter, though he'd not likely be outboxing him for many portions of the fight. I think he'd land the bigger shots though, and hurt Konadu more than the other way around. I see him taking Nana out around the 8th when he follows up a landed straight left with a finishing barrage.

In fact, depending on how much of a groove he allows Konadu to get into, he may take him out earlier if he can hurt him early.
This would have been a good fight, and I would favour Watanabe`s better boxing ability and counterpunching to win this around the same time as you predicted, circa the 8th give or take a round or two. Konadu would have been the aggressor and this would played into Jiro`s hands, but he would have to be at his sharpest as the African was a good puncher and Jiro could be hurt and he did have momentary lapses in concentration at times which could prove costly in this fight.

But barring a miracle punch Jiro should ride out a few tense moments and outbox his man until landing the coup de grace and getting him out of there. Sweet Pea, did you ever see Konadu`s two fights against Sung Kil Moon? Their first fight was a classic in which Nana went down three times and Moon twice, and the rematch saw Konadu outboxing Moon handily until he got dropped by a right hand in the 3rd from which he never recovered and he proceeded to take a vicious beating until the referee called it off in the 4th with Konadu helpless along the ropes.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One thing about Konada that was odd, is why did he take so long to get back into things after the Moon losses.He basically wasted years of his career.

By the time he fought Sahaprom and Tapia at Bantam he was past his best.

As for this fight, i would favour Watanabe as long as he did not have the kind of night he did against Ramirez.As Raging bull says-he was not always focused.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
This would have been a good fight, and I would favour Watanabe`s better boxing ability and counterpunching to win this around the same time as you predicted, circa the 8th give or take a round or two. Konadu would have been the aggressor and this would played into Jiro`s hands, but he would have to be at his sharpest as the African was a good puncher and Jiro could be hurt and he did have momentary lapses in concentration at times which could prove costly in this fight.

But barring a miracle punch Jiro should ride out a few tense moments and outbox his man until landing the coup de grace and getting him out of there. Sweet Pea, did you ever see Konadu`s two fights against Sung Kil Moon? Their first fight was a classic in which Nana went down three times and Moon twice, and the rematch saw Konadu outboxing Moon handily until he got dropped by a right hand in the 3rd from which he never recovered and he proceeded to take a vicious beating until the referee called it off in the 4th with Konadu helpless along the ropes.
I've seen the second fight, which is one of the reasons I favor Watanabe to get him out of there at some point, though I think it's possible that he is behind on the cards at the time. Konadu was the more active fighter, Watanabe being more patient and sometimes lazy like you said, but his shots often counted more when landed flush, and I can't see Konadu getting through a fight between the two without getting caught quite often.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum