Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #16
dan-b

vCash:
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins - The Record Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
The big difference between Jones and Calzaghe was that Jones was fighting at 175 at the same time as DM. I have no problem whatsoever with any boxer (Hopkins included) staying at the weight they are most comfortable at.

I don't think this is a Calzaghe 'fansite' but it is a British forum so I guess you're going to get some bias on the subject. I'm pretty sure Calzaghe will beat Hopkins but he won't get any credit due to Hopkins' age, the week after the fight the general forum will be full of "Calzaghe is ducking Dawson" threads.
Yes but Joe himself admitted he was struggling to make weight, a claim Hopkins never made. So to say he was comfortable, by his own admission, is untrue.

I think I've been painted as a Calzaghe hater on this site, an image I've probably helped perpetuate, but it's not the case. I just haven't turned him into some demigod on the basis of a few wins like others have. I'm not saying any of you lot have done this but there are fanboys who have probably only seen five Calzaghe fights.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer

I don't rate any of the major sanctioning bodies to be higher than the other. They are all guilty of bullshit.
No argument there. A good matchup is a good matchup irrespective of belts.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Very good thread Beatboxer. I have been waiting for you to post it, I thought you may have forgot.

Anyway Im a non Calzaghe fan and even chose to support Kessler during the last fight but I will be cheering JC on against Hopkins. Who has built a career on boring fights against mostly mediocre opposition. The JC vs Hopkins fights is tough one to call.
Yea man I hadn't forgot about it. University just been really getting on top of me and I finally finished some pesky course work yesterday. Then I decided I would make this thread and give it the due consideration it deserves.

Ill be doing Hopkins later. Ill state right here and now that I believe whilst Calzaghes legacy is underrated, Hopkins is overrated. That is not to say Hopkins is rubbish or anything - it isn't. Its a very good solid resume but not so much that it transcends Calzaghe - they are infinetly comparable in my mind in terms of the fighters they have beaten.

Ill go into more depth later.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #19
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Yes but Joe himself admitted he was struggling to make weight, a claim Hopkins never made. So to say he was comfortable, by his own admission, is untrue.

I think I've been painted as a Calzaghe hater on this site, an image I've probably helped perpetuate, but it's not the case. I just haven't turned him into some demigod on the basis of a few wins like others have. I'm not saying any of you lot have done this but there are fanboys who have probably only seen five Calzaghe fights.

I agree. Ive been on this site alot longer than my join date suggests. And trust me from 2003-2005 this site was anything but Pro-Calzaghe. The fairweather fans and fanboys came out the wall from March 2006 onwards for obvious reasons.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Ahh yes I believe it was the IBF and WBC that were funny with it. I remember debates on the matter back in 2003 etc on this board.

I must add however, that almost all of the belts, whilst a good way of distinguishing the top fighters and contenders of any given division have their flaws. They are all guilty of nonsensical mandatories that often contradict the other that leads to the division become un-unified even after a fighter works hard to get all the belts.

I don't rate any of the major sanctioning bodies to be higher than the other. They are all guilty of bullshit.
Look we've done the alphabet debate to death. My main reason for wanting to ignore the WBO is simply because if we don't in a few years we'll be having the same debate about the IBO. The WBA did stop Naz unifying with the WBO though when he fought Wilfredo Vazquez.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
DM wouldn't leave Germany, Calzaghe wouldn't leave the UK. They were both happy enough making money defending on their home turf.
Yes but I never even remember a mention of it. This is the one thing I hold against JC. Its clear the Americans weren't up for it and the Ottke case is well documented but DM is a different beast. Couldn't a comprimise have been made? Its a big fight in European terms. I know you don't hold it against them on account of being in different divisions but I do sense a lost opportunity here.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:

JC was always complaining about the weight, his book is full of it, but he still managed it for years after a mooted DM fight failed to materialise so he must have been reasonable OK at 168, he's has a few tough 12 rounders since then that would have shown up any weight making problems.. I think he's just one of those type of fighters who likes a moan, bad hands, poor motivation, weight etc...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #23
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Look we've done the alphabet debate to death. My main reason for wanting to ignore the WBO is simply because if we don't in a few years we'll be having the same debate about the IBO. The WBA did stop Naz unifying with the WBO though when he fought Wilfredo Vazquez.
You could be right if Ricky Hatton has his way!

Did you hear him the other week on Sky Sports?

I think thats a bit drastic as well. I can't be arsed getting into it but its doubtful that any alpha soup shit will get serious recogntion in the next few years.

As you've said its been to death so perhaps another day but not now.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #24
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

gr8 work bb
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

hopkins fought the better opposition compared to calzaghe who fought absoulte jack shit opposition his whole career apart from a past it eubank and kessler, lacy was nothing but a overhyped shitface
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_bomber
hopkins fought the better opposition compared to calzaghe who fought absoulte jack shit opposition his whole career apart from a past it eubank and kessler, lacy was nothing but a overhyped shitface
Don't post unless you are willing/able to converse like an adult.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_bomber
Wow thats me told

Anyway cheers for the feedback and any kind words guys.

Ive got a load of stuff do to right now but I should be back later to do a Hopkins analysis. I also promise that I will be as objective as I can be given my position on this matter
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #28
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Wow thats me told

Anyway cheers for the feedback and any kind words guys.

Ive got a load of stuff do to right now but I should be back later to do a Hopkins analysis. I also promise that I will be as objective as I can be given my position on this matter
No problem mate thats all we can ask.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #29
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

So is Calzaghe going to get some respect if he beats Hopkins? Or will it be the same old story of the opposition being 'too old' or 'hyped', etc??
mattress is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #30
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

They have both fought similar opposition but JC has been done more schooling.

For me the Lacy fight was the best performance by JC. He totally shut out Lacy and poor old Lacy has not been the same since.

Last edited by Vantage_West; 04-11-2007 at 08:15 AM.
kurt2006 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum