Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: rees macca could joe be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
All I will say is this. I wonder how many videos of Haye & Kotelnik he watched.
According to Rees, Im sure he said in an interview before the fight that they had watched NO videos of Kotlenik on Enzos say so
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Rees awas always going to have a hard night, he is simply not a light welter. He should lay of the pie and get down to lightweight, he would be a handle for anyone who doesnt dwarf him thats for sure.

he done well to win a world belt and that is something nobody casn dissagree with, but he was seripulsy punching above his weight at 140.

Lets see what he can do at the lower weight, we atleast know now how much of a handfull Gavin can be, he can have a succesful career down there.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
wayne3280
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
All I will say is this. He arrogantly proclaimed to know how to beat Hopkins after watching just one video. I wonder how many videos of Haye & Kotelnik he watched.
There's knowing how to beat someone and knowing how to beat someone using a very limited fighter. The former statement might well be true and maybe Enzo knew how to beat both Haye and Kotelnik. But maybe he had no idea how to beat them using Mac and Rees...
wayne3280 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18
Rees showed the same problem as Macca: backing away in straight lines with hands low and chin in the air.
Yes but Enzo is the trainer of the year..
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

its quite obviously Lockett who will be the third.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

yeah hopefully Joe Calzaghe and Lockett get done too, to end all this rubbish about Enzo and his stable of paper champs
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Yes but Enzo is the trainer of the year..
I can see a bit of a trend developing.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
steelem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
I can see a bit of a trend developing.
well you said it 1st jeff - i believe u now
steelem is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Bradley after years of not applyying his trade professionally is having a good run now that his dedicated himself to the sport. But the reality is his run will come to an end fairly swiftly and the kid is on borrowed time. I said Enzo wasnt worthy of accolade as trainer of the year as now apart from Joe, who could also possibly loose his stable have been shown up to be severely flawed. His was nothing more than good fortune.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Trainer of the year is not just about winning big fights- its about been smart enough to come up with a realistic game plan and showing compassion etc... Think of the Gatti Mcgirt relationship. Enzo C has had two tough fights but if Buddy Mcgirt had been in the corner would Enzo M have been impersonating a statue for the 4 minutes he lasted. Likewise would Rees have struggled to make the weight?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
Dibbs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Bradley Pryce goes through stages, he goes through a 'dedicated to the sport' phase where he can box quite superbly, then he he goes through the 'macho' phase, chin out, no defence, and he gets stopped usually with alot of facial damage, good to watch but very vunerable..
Dibbs is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #27
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Trainer of the year is not just about winning big fights- its about been smart enough to come up with a realistic game plan and showing compassion etc... Think of the Gatti Mcgirt relationship. Enzo C has had two tough fights but if Buddy Mcgirt had been in the corner would Enzo M have been impersonating a statue for the 4 minutes he lasted. Likewise would Rees have struggled to make the weight?
Precisely. I certainly didnt see anything from either fighter to make me think they were nothing short of good fortune. And what was Ree`s playing at? Lockett will be the sure fire next to fall with possibly Joe and Enzo`s stable has crumbled in less than a few months of winnign the award.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

lol here come the 'I told ya so' boys!

If you turn a domestic level super feather into a WBA light welter champion you deserve your props. Rees was going to lose his belt eventually but the fact that he won it anyway is amazing. When he drops weight he could become a very classy operator. As for him not making weight that has to be down to Rees' love of chocolate hobnobs rather than Enzos ability to torture him in training.

Pryce is still fighting at a competent level when he was dismissed YEARS ago!

He still has the best fighter in Britain.

And Maccarinelli could have had Eddie Futch in his corner, Haye would have still knocked him out. Chances are Big Mac will win a world title again.

The Newbridge gym isnt like the kronk gym or Freddie Roachs gym where the best talent from around the world flock there, these guys come from the same small population, the fact that they have achieved the amount of success they have is outstanding and dont kid yourself into thinkning it has nothing to do with Enzo Calzaghe.

He is an arrogant, loud,stuttering, lil gob ****e, but still one of the very best trainers in the world...in fact he is trainer of the year!

Last edited by Dr Z; 04-14-2007 at 06:16 PM.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #29
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Over the last couple of weeks there have been two fights featuring a skilled older veteran vs younger guy who wins by having a much greater output than his opponents. Nate Campbell beat Juan Diaz up badly and Casamayor stopped Kadsidis. This has lead me to believe it isn't as obvious a Calzaghe victory as I initially thought.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #30
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
lol here come the 'I told ya so' boys!

If you turn a domestic level super feather into a WBA light welter champion you deserve your props. Rees was going to lose his belt eventually but the fact that he won it anyway is amazing. When he drops weight he could become a very classy operator. As for him not making weight that has to be down to Rees' love of chocolate hobnobs rather than Enzos ability to torture him in training.

Pryce is still fighting at a competent level when he was dismissed YEARS ago!

He still has the best fighter in Britain.

And Maccarinelli could have had Eddie Futch in his corner, Haye would have still knocked him out. Chances are Big Mac will win a world title again.

The Newbridge gym isnt like the kronk gym or Freddie Roachs gym where the best talent from around the world flock there, these guys come from the same small population, the fact that they have achieved the amount of success they have is outstanding and dont kid yourself into thinkning it has nothing to do with Enzo Calzaghe.

He is an arrogant, loud,stuttering, lil gob ****e, but still one of the very best trainers in the world...in fact he is trainer of the year!
But he didnt. Ree`s had a night where fortune was on his side. That had NOTHING to do with Enzo. Enzo cant even get his charge back down to his correct weight at feather and Ree`s had to get naked to make weight at 140!

This isnt i told you so. I questioned his accolade before on another thread i created. Im not going to give him props when in my opinion he wasnt deserving of the award and it was more a case of his stable apart from Joe had very fortunate and carefully guided careers.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum