Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #31
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hearns - Power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Can you name me another fighter who exuded such power over 30-40 pounds?
Not to the extent that Hearns did, however Roberto Duran in all fairness was a powerful lightweight, who remained fairly strong, even in his latter years at middleweight. You have to figure that he began his career around 129 , and finshed at about 163. Through maybe a 35 pound range, plus a 30 year career, he retained much of his power.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #32
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Nope. Not off the top of my head.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Not completely, however Roberto Duran was a powerful lightweight, who remained fairly strong, even in his latter years at middleweight. You have to figure that he was around 135 at lightweight, and finshed his career somwhere between 160-165.
Not even close to Hearns. Retained quite reasonable power all the way to 160 tho. Division wise Arguello is notable.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #34
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not even close to Hearns. Retained quite reasonable power all the way to 160 tho. Division wise Arguello is notable.
I know the type of power your meaning. I think. Fighters who not only have devastating KO's in the divisions below, but also many divisions north.

I previously said Hearns retained his power, but it clearly decreased as he moved up in weight. Some people maybe think that doesn't make sense. What I meant was he was not having as many devastating knockouts at 160lbs and 175lbs, but he was still having them, although not as regular as 147lbs.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #35
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
There isn't one. Hearns is in a class of his own here. If Hearns doesn't make anyone's top 5 (Senya 'Manlove 4 RJJ' aside) then I need to hear very good reasons why. Tommy was a freak of nature and they don't come along too often.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #36
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
There isn't one. Hearns is in a class of his own here. If Hearns doesn't make anyone's top 5 (Senya 'Manlove 4 RJJ' aside) then I need to hear very good reasons why. Tommy was a freak of nature and they don't come along too often.
Yeah, lets not worry bout Senya on any Hearns or Jones topic.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #37
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
I know the type of power your meaning. I think. Fighters who not only have devastating KO's in the divisions below, but also many divisions north.

I previously said Hearns retained his power, but it clearly decreased as he moved up in weight. Some people maybe think that doesn't make sense. What I meant was he was not having as many devastating knockouts at 160lbs and 175lbs, but he was still having them, although not as regular as 147lbs.
We understood you clear as crystal Robbi

Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #38
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger

Hearns had a right hand with so much leverage and natural power he could knock down small buildings.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #39
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Of course, you shouldn't worry me. Because facts are such as I said, Hearns' had stopped being a KO artist at any weight above 154lb. He punched hard, but he needed a lot more punches to hurt people where before he needed just one or two. People are claiming him retaining his power up to 190lb. Of course, if you are meeting with tomato cans or mediocrities at best, you are able to retain your power.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #40
quintonjacksonfan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Maybe not the knockouts but he was knocking down and hurting fighters

above 154 pounds. Sutherland,Roldan,Andries,Barkley,SRL were a few of the

fighters he had in bad trouble above 154 pounds
quintonjacksonfan is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #41
George W Hedge
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hearns must be up there, he ko`d duran, shattered srl`s retina & floored him twice in the space of 25 & a half rds & cut & staggered a prime, possesed hagler.

Ray Leonard says hearns was his most troublesome opponent ahead of even hagler & duran.

George W Hedge is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #42
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Hearns had a right hand with so much leverage and natural power he could knock down small buildings.
His long-range left hook to the body was a great punch too.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #43
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hearns one punch ko of roldan and his punching against dennis andries alone show and prove his awesome single shot power at above 154...(not forgetting being the only one of haglers opposition at 160 to cause him visible trouble with power shots.)
In his prime i think p4p he was one of the greatest one shot punchers of all times,i cant think of anyone who has BETTER power with one punch p4p....Just watch his punches v duran and cuevas (two extremely durable hall of fame fighters.) ,Pure laser guided bombs with massive leverage and whipping velocity....It would be interesting to see how many other champs have near one punch kos over durable hall of fame opponents.....?
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #44
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

KO's at 154lb over natural 135lb HOF opponent? That KO win is clearly the main reason why people overrate Hearns' power like he's in Julian Jackson's or Gerald McClellan's league.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #45
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
KO's at 154lb over natural 135lb HOF opponent? That KO win is clearly the main reason why people overrate Hearns' power like he's in Julian Jackson's or Gerald McClellan's league.
Tell me again what HOF opponents Gerald and Julian knocked stiff again? You deride Hearns KO victories over the likes of Duran, Roldan and the like yet boom up the opposition of these guys?

Whether Duran was best at 135 doesn't matter one iota sunshine, the question is how good was his chin at 154. The answer? Fukking G-R-E-A-T. Duran was never left like that either before or since. The fight before he had gone a comfortable 15 vs a fantastic version of Hagler. Years later look at he and Barkley. The man had a great chin at any weight. To debate other is just plain lack of knowledge and respect. Did you lose money on a Hearn's fight or something? You've sure got some disdain and disrespect there.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum