Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #16
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Andy Lee-Vera on Channel 5 NOW!!

I agree with both of ye lads

I have watched Lee all through amateurs and pro, he has great ability but i saw some warning signs not so long ago when i saw him getting clocked in a previous fight.
Why you may ask, well it was like as if when he got hit that he didnt know what to do, whether to tie up/back off or throw a punch. He looked confused when getting hit, understandable to a point but there comes a time where you have to expect to get hit. Andy didnt seem to think he was going to get hit that often because of his big reach, southpaw stance and decent ability to box id imagine.

Same thing against Vera

Also i believe it also is Emanuals fault. He hyped Lee up too much and god knows what Andy thought of it himself but he was hearing things like 'Pavlik by the end of the year' and 'future MW champion' The lad is RAW TALENT, but a great talent at that, has a good chin and heart as Gaz says. His fitness needs to be worked apon, he needs to set out with a clearer gameplan and stick to it, not be dragged into the trenches

I hope he doesnt do a Bernard Dunne and turn his back on the sport, and i believe that he wont do such a thing. Hopefully he gets the support from those close to his, because he can still be world class IF managed and worked on NOW. Needs to learn from his mistakes.

I personally would love to see him working with a more refined trainer like Freddie Roach, somebody who knows the sport inside out and does good things for fighers.

Its not the end for Andy, i assure you that
Healy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Just straight channel 5 on terrestrial tv Healy. Although I dont know if you ROI lads get channel 5 over the sea.
Ya we don't get channel 5 since it isn't Free to Air .
It was only about 2 years ago that we could get Channel 4(although other companies other than Sky did offer it long before that) because that went Free to Air .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #18
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

when was this posted i sure as hell cant find it on channel 5?
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #19
finzwinz
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy
I hope he doesnt do a Bernard Dunne and turn his back on the sport
Has Dunne retired????
finzwinz is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finzwinz
Has Dunne retired????
He's fighting on the 12th of April in Mayo...........so no .

Just many think he doesn't have the drive for it anymore .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiabc
when was this posted i sure as hell cant find it on channel 5?
The posts are timed...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #22
Healy
Former Wee Poof
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by finzwinz
Has Dunne retired????
No, but even hearing his interviews will tell you he has got a huge dose of reality and his confidence seems shattered. One more lose will do it for him if it comes too soon im pretty sure.
Healy is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
girv
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

First time I have seen Andy Lee fight and I was impressed and believing the hype for the first couple of rounds.

Then the limited Vera came back into it catching Lee far too easily and getting a soft stoppage in the 7th.

Thing is if Lee had got the stoppage when he floored Vera the bandwagon would have picked up even more momentum and would have been even worse when it all came crashing down as it surely would in a fight or two's time.

Lee is now in a similar situation as Alex Arthur was right after the Gomez fight where he had to go back to the drawing board and fix his defence, which he has done very well. Arthur had a far worse KO to mentally recover from, as he was brutally KO'd while Lee will probably think that he could have fought on.

Arthur has always maintained that the Gomez fight was the making of him and it can be the same for Lee.

The "legendary" Emmanuel Steward and co should shut up about future world champion until their fighter has mastered defence and in-fighting. I felt quite sorry for Andy Lee as they put him on this big pedestal and he only had something like 15 pro fights.

I hope he comes back as Ireland doesnt have too many other hot prospects out there.
girv is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #24
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy
No, but even hearing his interviews will tell you he has got a huge dose of reality and his confidence seems shattered. One more lose will do it for him if it comes too soon im pretty sure.
There is nothing I hate more than a fighter who loses, & decides he cannot be bothered anymore. It stinks of huge ego to me, boxing is a tough sport & these fighters nowadays who want to quit cos they lost their O should look at past legends. None of them have a flashy 0, & it irks me that fighters nowadays think an 0 is all that matters.

Shea Neary was a prime example, thought he was amazing & took on probably the toughest ****er ever created, Micky Ward. Neary lost in a classic fight, then felt all sorry for himself, lost all his desire & retired after a lacklustre defeat to Eamonn Magee. Modern day fighters do my head in when they lose all hope just cos someone dared to beat them.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #25
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Lee needs a few more fights before he steps it back up. Good fighter, has talent, good power, good chin, but should never have been caught that many times with the same punch. He should have used his right hook. I wonder about Steward sometimes.

Last edited by Beebs; 04-16-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Farmboxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum