Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Peterp
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Katsidis - How can he Improve and where does he go from here ?

At lower levels of combat sports, there is no doubt that fitness and intelligent pressure wins most fights. You go to any local fight night and the fights are won by the guy who throws the most leather without being reckless.

Evasion and Countering skills at the level that Casamayor showed against Katsidis don't exactly grow on trees and Casamayor couldn't keep it up every round. Mayweather's performance against Hatton is the only one in recent history which comes to mind.

So i do think it would be a mistake for Mike to alter his style too much. He does have to add a few more dimensions to his game though. His headmovement isn't natural, he needs to work on that. He needs to use his jab more to come in and he needs to be able to change things up so he isn't always coming in in a straight line.

as to what's next, it's always tough working your way back it. He needs a nice made to order opponent next who will stand in front of him
Peterp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1195
Default Re: Katsidis - How can he Improve and where does he go from here ?

Not much as he has to keep his swarming style... I think use his effective jab more and stop the amateurish running/jumping in style... Other than that i think hes good
daz52 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Bentchassis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Kat is a hard one because his weaknesses can become his strengths depending on the style of his opponent. For instance, during the middle rounds, Casa's main strength, the counter, was not as effective because he was so defensively minded for long periods. Kat puts a spin into a conventional/technical style of opponent, as he may seem wild and reckless but he's actually controlling the fight as long as he gets away with it.
I think Kat's exposed against an elite fighter because he's way to open, he's heads constantly available for the taking and with a skilful and powerful opponent he'll get picked off and KOed at some point. Basically he doesnt get away with poor hand and body positioning.
There's no doubt he could make improvements with his jab and not being so predictable, etc, but he'll always be a popular fighter to watch despite his flaws.
Bentchassis is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He should learn teh art of defence, i love kartsidis but he will come unstuck every time he meets a decent boxer with a decent chin
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
wes2412

He needs more discipline in the ring. He was knocked down three times against Casa and every time he shot back up. He should have waited for the 8 count, especially for the last KD. He needs to tone down his reckless style but maintain his intensity and pressure and he can compete with the big boys.
wes2412 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes2412
He needs more discipline in the ring. He was knocked down three times against Casa and every time he shot back up. He should have waited for the 8 count, especially for the last KD. He needs to tone down his reckless style but maintain his intensity and pressure and he can compete with the big boys.
Yes. I said this after the Earl fight. He jumped straight back up then, and nearly got his legs tangled up and could have easily fell down again, and had that have happened, he could have lost there and then.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Give him to Rooney, he is the best example of a fighter today that could benefit from Tyson style of fighting.
teke is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
Give him to Rooney, he is the best example of a fighter today that could benefit from Tyson style of fighting.
rooney would be great if he could put down the vodka bottle

if only cus were alive
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Katsidas wont be around long but it will be a fun period of time.

Not the next Gatti but I think keeping his style the way it is will be the best thing for his career.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
PIPO23
Champion
East Side Guru

One thing I noticed is Kat doesn't jab. When he opens up he throws wide punches, dangerous because Casa can fire straight punches down he middle.Kat also drops his right and je doesn't bring it back quick enough to block after firing the big right.Casa can get you if you're open for it and let me tell you the right side of his face was open.Southpaw best punch the left, Kat was eating alot jabs and the lefts.A bit of head movement. Or tuck his chin. Just my two cents.
PIPO23 is online now  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Katsidas wont be around long but it will be a fun period of time.

Not the next Gatti but I think keeping his style the way it is will be the best thing for his career.
If he doesn't learn from his mistakes, then his time in the sun could very well be shortly lived. I can't see him turning down any fights, so he'll need to sharpen up a bit to stay in the limelight.

It'll definitely be a fun period though. I do have some hope though that he can improve on his stocks and stick around.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #12
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

he should learn to control his agresiveness. it is obvious that he is over eager sometimes. look at the way he started against casamayor. he jumped in and got knocked down twice.

he should also learn how to protect himself. it is obvious that he cuts easily and this is more reason to sharpen his defense. he should go back to aussie. take an easy fight or two. then take a step up in competition. maybe a julio diaz, or even a ranee ganoy.
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Discipline. And controling his nerves. He came out shaky and too eager... got sparked twice. Once he settled in, he swarmed, pressured, hurt and at some points even out boxed Casa... then he came out in the tenth all reckless and edgy again. Whether he thought it was worth the risk, got shaky again or simply thought Casa was more worse for wear than he actually was, who knows... either way, he should have fought like he did from rd 4 onwards until the end of the fight and only gone for stoppage mid round after landing something solid in that round...

The experience he got last weekend will surely go along way to improving him. Hopefully he gained more than he lost from that night.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
shawn1262231

He needs to pick his punches better, even with his flaws and being knocked down twice he would've knocked out Casamayor in the middle rounds if he picked his shots better. And some headmovent wouldn't hurt.
shawn1262231 is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just think he needs a fight plan that goes the distance and if he gets the KO then fine...but show a little more patience I guess....boxing is a game of inches and rocky almost KO'ed Joel 2 seconds before rocky went down.
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum