Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ali v tyson

Been done million times, i was just wondering what the experts opinion is on this topic?
fg2227 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ali v tyson

Ding-ding round 1.

I pick Ali. I think Ali is one of the two or three fighters that Tyson has little hope against. Both have freakish reactions, but Ali has proved his at the highest level. I don't think he'll have a problem getting out of the way of Tyson's first shot most of the time, and this idea that Tyson can launch his second before Ali has scored with accuracy, is not serious.

In the case that Ali does get caught he has the neccesary chin to ride it out in my view. He is a great survivor and smart enough to manage. Meanwhile there is every chance that Tyson will become discouraged in the later rounds and sacrifice defence for aggression. If that happens then Tyson could be stopped - if he keeps his head Ali wins a pretty wide UD.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
duran77

Well said
duran77 is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

ali ko 11 too fast to smart
Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
Tyson KO 6 Against the 60's ali.

What have you been smoking?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
626BrownBomber

The Muhammad Ali that fought Liston vs. Mike Tyson that fought Mike Spinks. These were the two fights where I feel these men were at their absolute best. We all know that Mike's only chance of beating Muhammad is by ko, and the fact that Muhammad has never been ko'd(yes he was tkoed as and old man but he was on his feet) and he fought the likes of Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Liston, Cleavland Willams, Lamar Clark, Norton and Patterson speaks volumes about his chin. Mike on the other hand has been ko'd several times, only 2 of which in his prime or near prime. And in those prime or near prime ko's, he soaked up tremendous punishment before succumbing. There is no question who has the better technical skills, the Greatest. But Mike had freakish speed and punching power and anyone could be ko'd by him if they made a mistake. His hand and foot speed I think were second only to his hypothetical opponent. Tyson's body shots would not slow The Greatest down either. This being said, I would have to go with The Greatest on an 8 th round tko, but it would be the greatest fight at any weight of all time. The quenessential puncher vs. the quentessential boxer, what a dream fight. There is little shame in losing to a prime Ali or Tyson, thats for sure.
626BrownBomber is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I do agree that Tyson has more chance against the mid-60s version than the 74-75 model. Still, UD either way.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626BrownBomber
The Muhammad Ali that fought Liston vs. Mike Tyson that fought Mike Spinks. These were the two fights where I feel these men were at their absolute best.
Dunno about that friend. I take it you mean Liston II? How would we know what kind of shape/at what level Ali was at for that fight? It only lasted seconds - the same goes for Mike v Spinks. I'd go for Ernie Terrell Ali and Trevor Berbick Tyson. How about that?

Quote:
There is no question who has the better technical skills, the Greatest.
Sorry man, I don't know about this either. Technically, I would give Mike the edge - certainly as far as punching goes. In other ares, Ali sort of creates his own rules but as far as offensive delivery goes, i'd give Tyson the nod.

Quote:
There is little shame in losing to a prime Ali or Tyson, thats for sure.
No lie.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I do agree that Tyson has more chance against the mid-60s version than the 74-75 model. Still, UD either way.
I have heard this idea floated before - feel like fleshing it out a little bit?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
Muchmoore

vCash:

Tyson is a bad matchup for Ali. Tyson was trained to beat boxers like Ali and disposed of them all. The guys that beat Tyson were strong, rough, tough guys that didnt back up from Tyson. Tyson loved when guys backpedaled from him because it was easy for him to get into mid range.

Tyson would be able to catch Ali as he backs up and finish him off. Alis lack of fundamental blocking and defense cost him here as hes fighting a guy with as good reflexes as himself.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
the one thats sees Clay carry his hands at his waist and almost get KO'd by cooper. His hands were so low, he could get away with it against bums like terrel, but not against a world class fighter like mike tyson.
Of course you would never see Clay fannying about like that v Tyson - I agree that if he did he would get murdered. Please don't call Terrel a bum, whatever he was, he wasn't that.

Quote:
Ali never met a truly great finisher either, if he gets stunned against tyson, i reckon he'd be finished.
Let's agree that he never met a finisher as good as Tyson and leave it at that - unless you had fought Tyson, though, you probably never did.

I do think that it's interesting to postulate what would have happened if Ali got caught very very early in a late round by Tyson.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
The 74-75 Ali didnt have the movement and elusiveness to avoid Tysons blows. If he rope a dopes against Tyson, its over. Tyson was a patient, steady destroyer at his best, not an impatient Foreman who threw every punch full power and gassed out.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Tyson is a bad matchup for Ali. Tyson was trained to beat boxers like Ali and disposed of them all. The guys that beat Tyson were strong, rough, tough guys that didnt back up from Tyson. Tyson loved when guys backpedaled from him because it was easy for him to get into mid range.

Tyson would be able to catch Ali as he backs up and finish him off. Alis lack of fundamental blocking and defense cost him here as hes fighting a guy with as good reflexes as himself.
I dunno, Ali could fight this either way, on the back foot boxing (60's Ali) or in close leaning on Tyson and pushing down on him (70's Ali)

Either way I think Tyson would get discouraged and go into that mode where he just waits to get stopped (Holy 1, Lewis).
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Stick and move was THE way to get yourself obliterated against tyson
I agree with that - and that Tyson did what he did better than anyone else ever. But Ali (Terrell) also did what he did better than anyone else ever.

Overall, I would bet that Manilla Ali has the better chance. What do you see where that one is concerned?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
I dunno, Ali could fight this either way, on the back foot boxing (60's Ali) or in close leaning on Tyson and pushing down on him (70's Ali)

Either way I think Tyson would get discouraged and go into that mode where he just waits to get stopped (Holy 1, Lewis).
That was an unmotivated Tyson that was in it more for the money than to win. When Tyson was getting destroyed by Douglas he roared back and dropped Buster in the 8th, and had it not been the end of the round probably would of won. A young Tyson kept fighting no matter what you threw at him.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum