Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Eddie Mustpha muhammed vs Spinks

I finally had a chance to watch the entire bout.Somethings that I noticed:

1.Spinks was dirty on the inside and was basically elbowing Muhammed at times.Could this have caused the swelling around Muhhamed's eye?

2.After 7 rounds EM was outboxing Spinks.

3.Do you think it was a case of Spinks just being a slow starter and having to warm-up or EM was that more talented then Spinks before the weight loss drained him?
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: Eddie Mustpha muhammed vs Spinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33

1.Spinks was dirty on the inside and was basically elbowing Muhammed at times.Could this have caused the swelling around Muhhamed's eye?

3.Do you think it was a case of Spinks just being a slow starter and having to warm-up or EM was that more talented then Spinks before the weight loss drained him?
You ask some excellent questions. I don't know how to answer them. I do remember however that Mustafa had to struggle to make weight for Spinks. Just a couple of months earlier he had weighed close to 210 lbs. for Renaldo Snipes. I have always suspected that Eddie was weaker than normal that day...probably not his best.

Even so, Eddie was winning the fight up through the eighth round or so.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I ask because up until the 8th round Spinks really hadn't landed anything and all of a sudden EM's eye swells shut.I think maybe an elbow did that damage.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33

1. As i have been saying for ages, Spinks is one of the dirtiest fighters, if not the dirtiest, of his era. He has the most effective pair of elbows in history but somehow got away with it over a long period. Mustafa blamed either an elbow or a thumb, but definitely foul play.

2. Eddie won the first 4 and was winning solidly after 7.

3. I think if Eddie wasn't weight drained and if not for the eye he would have won. I believe we saw a combination of Spinks being a slow starter and Eddie being such a brilliant boxer leading to the early round superiority. A combination of the eye closing and Eddie gassing saw him thoroughly dominated late. He showed great heart and resiliency to get up from a huge right hand he probably didn't even see.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Eddie lost plenty of weight between Snipes and Spinks and is is proven beyond doubt simply by what he weighed for both and the dates.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Eddie should have took care of business and not underestimated Spinks.He had no business fighting Snipes in the first place.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I remember Mustafa was overweight for a fight & didn't even try to make weight & the fight was cancelled. Plus he had some shady characters with him at the press con. His career ended on a pretty sour note.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Eddie should have took care of business and not underestimated Spinks.He had no business fighting Snipes in the first place.
Yeah, but like all light heavyweights he at one time thought he could make it to the heavyweight title. He found out rather early he couldn't.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Yeah, but like all light heavyweights he at one time thought he could make it to the heavyweight title. He found out rather early he couldn't.
M. Spinks had the ability to throw a great "one-two" ...a right hand
followed by the right elbow (the Rock used this combo some too).

The fight was close until Eddie's eye went bad.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I know the shot Michael dropped Eddie with could've torn a lesser 175 pounder's head off.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33 View Post
I ask because up until the 8th round Spinks really hadn't landed anything and all of a sudden EM's eye swells shut.I think maybe an elbow did that damage.
Eddie motioned to the ref at one point that he was thumbed. I had the highlights on YouTube before that POS Don King had the channel taken down.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

IMHO if (a big if) Eddie had kept his head on straight he would be regarded as one of the greatest PvP fighters EVER! The veteran poster John Garfield some time ago gave us his take on Eddie in his amateur days, mowing down every welter that came his way in the Golden Gloves and AAU (Vito among others)
I still think he is a better fighter than Spinks (I don't know exactly what happened in their rematch negotiations)
He was so drained from weight loss when he stepped in against Michael he looked like a big shriveled pear. After that right hand bomb he still got up and fought on. One of the best chins in history. Impossible to KO.
Numbing right, great left hook, upstairs and downstairs (Johnson).
Great boxer!
Maybe I'm overrating but this guy could step into ANY era and raise total hell with ANY opponent.
His only worst foe were those demons in his head.
I'd like to meet him; I'd basically tell him just what I've written.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Eddie Mustapha Muhammed vs Spinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
IMHO if (a big if) Eddie had kept his head on straight he would be regarded as one of the greatest PvP fighters EVER! The veteran poster John Garfield some time ago gave us his take on Eddie in his amateur days, mowing down every welter that came his way in the Golden Gloves and AAU (Vito among others)
I still think he is a better fighter than Spinks (I don't know exactly what happened in their rematch negotiations)
He was so drained from weight loss when he stepped in against Michael he looked like a big shriveled pear. After that right hand bomb he still got up and fought on. One of the best chins in history. Impossible to KO.
Great boxer!
Maybe I'm overrating but this guy could step into ANY era and raise total hell with ANY opponent.
His only worst foe were those demons in his head. I'd like to meet him; I'd basically tell him just what I've written.
"Hi, you fat lazy bastard! I lost my house betting the mortgage on you against Michael, you indifferent slob. Didn't converting to Islam teach you ANYTHING about the way you should treat your body? You shit on the natural gifts Allah gave you!" (Then, before he had a chance to get mad at me, I'd turn tail and run, secure in the knowledge that Eddie couldn't outrun a garden snail.)
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Eddie Mustapha Muhammed vs Spinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy View Post
"Hi, you fat lazy bastard! I lost my house betting the mortgage on you against Michael, you indifferent slob. Didn't converting to Islam teach you ANYTHING about the way you should treat your body? You shit on the natural gifts Allah gave you!" (Then, before he had a chance to get mad at me, I'd turn tail and run, secure in the knowledge that Eddie couldn't outrun a garden snail.)
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
Great boxer!
His only worst foe were those demons in his head.
I'd like to meet him; I'd basically tell him just what I've written.
I'm in your boat. Unlimited talent. I wish he had a bit more aggression and Holmes like determination is all.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum