Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Western Europe and martial arts

Sorry if this rambling post doesn't make entire sense cause i'm just throwing this down here without thinking......

I've been thinking about western european (exclude Holland) fighters in MMA and been struggling to think of any top fighters.......Michael Bisping?.......hmm

When you think about it, with the exception of The Netherlands and their excellent kickboxers there is nothing in western Europe: Germany,France,Britain,Italy,Spain.......**** all fighters.
Why is this?

America has wrestling and boxing.
Brazil has its Brazillian jiu-jitsu and a large Muay Thai following down there.
Asia has Judo,Muay Thai,Tae kwon do (and a whole load of the whimsical bullshit)
Russia and Eastern Europe has sambo, wrestling and now is performing well at boxing.

But western Europe really has nothing at all, what can we do to remedy this problem? is it because we don't have it traditionally built into our national mentality? or we don't involve any martial arts in schools. I know the US has a great high school and college wrestling system.....many Brazillians and Russian grow up with martial arts such as Bjj and sambo respectively.

Should governments spend money on helping the martial arts to flourish, should there be more state involvment to help bring kids get involved in it?

My question to any western europeans and British people especially is what would get martial arts to be bigger and make kids go into any of these sports to compete at a high level in MMA?
Also why do you think for such a massive population there is no talent from western europe coming through and competing at the world level?
Why is there no interest?
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Default Re: Western Europe and martial arts

You could really start to go back to your roots if you wanted to.

Germany has a native style of wrestling that seems to have gone out of fashion in the late 1800's (think Greco-Roman, but even more restrictive). France has savate, though it requires shoes to work effectively. Britain is the birthplace of boxing, and has several traditions of native wrestling (Cumberland/Westmoreland, Lancashire catch, Cornwall/Devon) that have been neglected in recent years...plus many types of pugilism that are better suited for the tiny gloves, if only the British could revive these sports again. Ireland used to have an extensive collar-and-elbow wrestling culture, the Scots still practice backhold wrestling from time to time. The Swiss used to practice Swingen wrestling, and the Austrians had their own (very strange) Styrian variety. Italy and Spain, though, I have no idea about.

Ideally, governments would fund some revivals of these sports, with a bit of television coverage now and again, as part of a "cultural preservation".
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Thanks for the historical knowledge.
I do know that (standup) wrestling was an integral part of the old bareknuckle london prize fighting rules.

It is sad that these martial arts have been neglected and almost forgotten by the population.

Even though those martial arts did exist, they are not ingrained into our culture quite like the Russians/Americans and Brazillians have martial arts ingrained into theirs.

I don't see much talent coming from Britain in quite a while. Although with the massive exposure of MMA from the UFC we might see good martial artists far quicker than if the UFC had not been brought to life.

Whats even funnier though is that with Greco-Roman wrestling, we hardly see any Greeks or Italians doing that sort of wrestling and competing.
Which is odd as that originated in those countries and that form of wrestling has been kept in the forefront of the wrestling world as opposed to the mostly extinct forms you already stated that came from Britain and Germany.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
Thanks for the historical knowledge.
I do know that (standup) wrestling was an integral part of the old bareknuckle london prize fighting rules.

It is sad that these martial arts have been neglected and almost forgotten by the population.

Even though those martial arts did exist, they are not ingrained into our culture quite like the Russians/Americans and Brazillians have martial arts ingrained into theirs.

I don't see much talent coming from Britain in quite a while. Although with the massive exposure of MMA from the UFC we might see good martial artists far quicker than if the UFC had not been brought to life.

Whats even funnier though is that with Greco-Roman wrestling, we hardly see any Greeks or Italians doing that sort of wrestling and competing.
Which is odd as that originated in those countries and that form of wrestling has been kept in the forefront of the wrestling world as opposed to the mostly extinct forms you already stated that came from Britain and Germany.
Greco-Roman is, ironically, French. It was only called Greco-Roman to make it sound a little more classical. It has no connection to ancient Greek pale wrestling.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Well, I did not know that.
I just assumed because of the name.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum