Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Amir is now a man of war

By PAT SHEEHAN
July 14, 2007

AMIR KHAN insists he has the body of a man, even though he looks like a baby-faced assassin.

The lightweight sensation bids for his first major title when he takes on Commonwealth champ Willie Limond in a SunSport-backed fight at the O2 Arena in London tonight.

He has blitzed his way to 12 straight wins since turning professional and reckons his body has exploded in size since he changed his diet, training and exercise routines.

In fact Khan, 20, is so lean and mean he believes he would beat the fighter who won silver for Britain at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

He said: 的f I fought against the Amir Khan who first turned pro I would knock myself out, that痴 how strong I am now.

的知 a man now, I知 no longer a boy. I知 strong, fit and totally focused. The strength I致e got compared to my first professional fight is wicked.

Khan has added two inches to his neck, which is now 17in, and another two to his 38in chest.

His fitness results in key tests are staggering, he can bench-press almost twice the 40kilos he was doing as an 18-year-old and in the killer 礎ar bag exercise can do more than Ricky Hatton.

Khan added: 典he bar bag is an iron bar set waist high and when I first started I could struggle to four but after that it would kill me.

哲ow I get to 40 without any trouble at all, I知 told Ricky does 35 and he sets the bar lower than me!

溺y circuit training used to comprise three fierce 10-minute sessions and I壇 be knackered after the first and again struggle to finish.

哲ow 30 minutes is no problem. I won稚 say it痴 a stroll in the park but I can do it very easily.

的 can bench-press 90kg if it is explosive quick work. I was doing 40kg before the Olympics. That shows how much I致e developed twice the level I was doing before.

的t has taken me two years to get this far. It hasn稚 happened overnight but instead has been a hard grind to get into the best possible shape.

的 look at my body and it is a massive change. In the last 10 weeks of training I致e taken my body to different levels.

Such is the change in Khan痴 physique that he is constantly giving his shirts to younger brother Harry, although he insists on keeping his designer suits, even though he has outgrown them too.

He explained: 滴arry is getting the benefit of my muscle growth as much as me he and the other guys at the gym get all the shirts that no longer fit me.

的 have to keep getting bigger shirts from my sponsor Reebok. Look! You can see right now by my biceps how the shirt sleeves are too tight for me.

徹ne thing I知 very reluctant to give away are my designer suits.

的 get suits from Moschino, Armani, D&G . . . all sorts, and they are, like, up to 」5,000. Even they don稚 fit me but I知 not giving them away, they池e hanging in my wardrobe.

Khan is very much a modern fighter, packaged with the right branding and a slick line of confident patter in any kind of company.

But what you see on the surface is underpinned by genuine talent and a backroom team that he listens to.

He said: 的 have a dietician, a nutritionist, proper professionals looking after me. You can see the effect of all the advice in the development in my muscles.

釘efore, when I had to make the weight for a fight, I would lose muscle it痴 the first thing to go when you go on a diet unless you exercise properly. This time I致e not lost muscle, I致e just lost the fat.

鄭t the weigh-in there will be just five per cent fat on my body. That shows I知 in good condition.

Looks how he's grown
This is how much Amir Khan has grown since his first pro fight.

v Mario Kindelan in May 2005
WEIGHT 9st 12lb
HEIGHT 5ft 10in
CHEST (normal) 38in
CHEST (expanded) 40in
BICEPS 9 3/4in
NECK 15in

v Willie Limond July 2007
WEIGHT 9st 12lb
HEIGHT 5ft 10in
CHEST (normal) 40in
CHEST (expanded) 42in
BICEPS 10 3/4in
NECK 17in

的知 on supplements, I知 eating the right food. The days when I was into my curries and kebabs have gone.

But Khan admits he is planning a small celebration if he pulls off the win tonight.

He said: 溺ost boxers celebrate a win by getting drunk, but I don稚 drink or smoke. I値l be taking myself off for a curry or a kebab.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Amir is now a man of war

Whoa...only about 5% body fat isnt that too little? Whats considered healthy?
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Any idea what this bar bag that he's talking about is? What does this exercise involve?
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

So has Khan failed to make the weight? 9 st 9lbs is the limit.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
So has Khan failed to make the weight? 9 st 9lbs is the limit.
I have never understood that

Why has it always been regarded that lightwweight is 135 lbs or 61kg or 9 stone 9lbs????? as the limit

The figures dont match really

Theres 2 1/2 lbs astray somewhere, or have I just taken one too many to the head
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Sports Networks site says Khan made the limit.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hold on, 10 3/4 inch biceps, are you kidding me? Feck, my 7 year old lad must be near enough that, come to think of it I'm sure my bellend would be more than that
Hope he gets pummeled.
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Any idea what this bar bag that he's talking about is? What does this exercise involve?
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Top Dog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Aye, good question, not exactly explained well at all. "Its a bar that sticks up, I can 40 and Ricky Hatton can only do 35", what the feck is the boy talking about, feckin idiot.
Top Dog is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dog
Aye, good question, not exactly explained well at all. "Its a bar that sticks up, I can 40 and Ricky Hatton can only do 35", what the feck is the boy talking about, feckin idiot.
To be fair, it's the journo's fault...what's the point of explaining half-heartedly what this thing involves? You either don't at all and say: AK can do 40 bar bag reps whilst RH can only do 35, or you explain what the damn thing it is they're doing! It's actually a very poorly written article/interview in general. It also makes Amir look gay. "I look at my body!" "I love my suits!", etc.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Is Amir Khan talking in 3rd person
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

What is the BAR BAG thing?!!!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylexxx
hit the bag for 1 minute fast, go the the bar and basically jump it for 1 minute , the the bag another minute= 1 round

do the same but bar-bag-bar another round etc etc
Finally, an answer! Thank you!

So do you jump over the bar? So one of the 40 "rounds" involves:

hitting the bag for 1 min, jumping over the bar to and fro for 1 minute and then hitting the bag for another minute? And then carrying on without interruption for "round 2"?

If so, that's HARD!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadLeftHook
Whoa...only about 5% body fat isnt that too little? Whats considered healthy?
5% is perfectly normal for an athlete. 4% is pushing it. 3% or less and you're dead. In general, 5-10% is good for an athlete.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
5% is perfectly normal for an athlete. 4% is pushing it. 3% or less and you're dead. In general, 5-10% is good for an athlete.
cool thank
k didnt know that cool Thanks!
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum